GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pilot Sport 4s 245/40ZR18, 8.5" or 9" wheel?

rcb020

Passed Driver's Ed
First Post!

Just got a 2017 GTI Sport. Previous cars are mk6 GTI, and most recently (still have for now) 2015 Mustang GT PP.

The new GTI came with all seasons, looking to try out the new Pilot Sport 4s. I am looking at the Neuspeed RSe10 18 in either 8.5" or 9" et45.

Which would be best? I believe the 9" is more appropriate width for the 245, but I don't want to rub. Would be willing to do the fender screw mod if that is all it took to ensure no rub on stock suspension. The 8.5" may be a little lighter as well, but not a big concern.

Thanks!

am215

Ready to race!
I have 18x8.5 w/ 245/40 MPS a/s 3 and had to remove the fender screw (still have to take out the other one in each side to eliminate all rubbing).

willtheyfit.com shows the x9 protrudes out another 6mm so that could be problematic in the front, especially if lowered. hopefully someone else chimes in with more experience.

the biggest downside to the 245's is the weight. not sure what ps4's will weigh in that size, but it easily adds a few lbs over stock. my setup, with VMR V810 (~21 lbs each I think), comes in at 48lbs or so

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
I had 255/35-18 on an 8.5" rim without any issues. It didn't even look pinched (Mich PSS).
BTW: On the E90 BMW, the stock rear wheels were 8.5" and came with 255/35 from the factory.

So, to answer your question: yes, 8.5 will work without any issues at all. It'll also give you a little more room to play with.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
Last edited:

rcb020

Passed Driver's Ed
I have heard rumors that the PS4S runs slightly narrower than the PSS, although I have no proof or reason to believe that.