GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone running Emmanuelle Design springs ?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I'm feeling like I might as well just buy struts and bearings and mounts before putting mine on. I am weary dreaded new noises. I know Koni Yellows(?) are commonly recommended around here but is anyone running anything else with these springs?
If I buy shocks for myself I'm getting Bilstein B8 (sports). Non adjustable, because you're not going to adjust them anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

IBFreeman

Ready to race!
If I buy shocks for myself I'm getting Bilstein B8 (sports). Non adjustable, because you're not going to adjust them anyway.

I was entertaining the idea of these as well. I had them on previous generations but I have never toyed with Koni before.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I was entertaining the idea of these as well. I had them on previous generations but I have never toyed with Koni before.
If you still need to remove the rear shocks to adjust them on the Konis it's not worth the hassle IMO. Konis are great but because we have no rear adjuster access it's a pain.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
I'm feeling like I might as well just buy struts and bearings and mounts before putting mine on. I am weary dreaded new noises. I know Koni Yellows(?) are commonly recommended around here but is anyone running anything else with these springs?
For what it's worth, I asked ED about this, and they recommended sticking with the stock dampers.

I've got 25k miles though, and will likely have quite a few more before I start messing with suspension (need an intercooler first). So I'm not about to go lower on mine without going koni yellows or something similar. Or maybe coilovers by the time you add up springs and shocks. Decisions, decisions...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

IBFreeman

Ready to race!
For what it's worth, I asked ED about this, and they recommended sticking with the stock dampers.

I've got 25k miles though, and will likely have quite a few more before I start messing with suspension (need an intercooler first). So I'm not about to go lower on mine without going koni yellows or something similar. Or maybe coilovers by the time you add up springs and shocks. Decisions, decisions...

Them recommending stockers leaves me feeling like they didn't extensively test the kit on stock parts or something to find if the stockers really do hold up and have longevity with the springs. Especially after reading "you're lowering the car. suspension travel is jeopardized. Your stock struts will die in due time" so many times :(

Im okay with the "buy one cry once" thought process, but only if i can install components and not have to worry about worrying about them lol. I like the stock comfort mostly, just hate the aesthetic.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Them recommending stockers leaves me feeling like they didn't extensively test the kit on stock parts or something to find if the stockers really do hold up and have longevity with the springs. Especially after reading "you're lowering the car. suspension travel is jeopardized. Your stock struts will die in due time" so many times :(

Im okay with the "buy one cry once" thought process, but only if i can install components and not have to worry about worrying about them lol. I like the stock comfort mostly, just hate the aesthetic.
I was going to respond to ATL Dad's post yesterday but I think he's misstating EDs recommendations​ slightly.

They say these springs are compatible with OEM shocks, but they don't to my knowledge specifically recommend ONLY stock shocks. That's just incorrect information IMO. You can get handling​ improvements on stock springs with better dampers, there's no reason that's not the same or more true with these springs.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
I was going to respond to ATL Dad's post yesterday but I think he's misstating EDs recommendations​ slightly.

They say these springs are compatible with OEM shocks, but they don't to my knowledge specifically recommend ONLY stock shocks. That's just incorrect information IMO. You can get handling​ improvements on stock springs with better dampers, there's no reason that's not the same or more true with these springs.

Flip,

Not disagreeing with the advice that's been stated regarding stock vs upgraded dampers.

However, I am not misrepresenting what was stated by ED. The email is very clear. Maybe they have changed their stance (no pun intended) since late February? Email below for reference, redacted for my privacy.

-------------------------

On Feb 27, 2017 8:16 PM, "Emmanuele Design" <sales@emmanueledesign.com> wrote:

Hi xxx,

Thanks for the email. We recommend stock shocks/struts, and with 20k miles and no leaks, you should have plenty of life left in them. Hope this helps!

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 2:18 PM, xxx>*wrote:

I've followed you guys on the forums for some time now, and I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on some mods for my GTI. I'm on factory springs/dampers at 20k miles. The install on these cars looks like a royal pain, so I'm not going to attempt it...and I only want to pay for it once. Do you recommend replacing the dampers now, or do they still have plenty of life left (assuming no fluid leaks, etc.)? If I should replace, what brand/model do you recommend?

Thanks in advance,

xxx
2016 GTI PP (non-DCC)

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Flip,

Not disagreeing with the advice that's been stated regarding stock vs upgraded dampers.

However, I am not misrepresenting what was stated by ED. The email is very clear. Maybe they have changed their stance (no pun intended) since late February? Email below for reference, redacted for my privacy.

-------------------------

On Feb 27, 2017 8:16 PM, "Emmanuele Design" <sales@emmanueledesign.com> wrote:

Hi xxx,

Thanks for the email. We recommend stock shocks/struts, and with 20k miles and no leaks, you should have plenty of life left in them. Hope this helps!

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 2:18 PM, xxx>*wrote:

I've followed you guys on the forums for some time now, and I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on some mods for my GTI. I'm on factory springs/dampers at 20k miles. The install on these cars looks like a royal pain, so I'm not going to attempt it...and I only want to pay for it once. Do you recommend replacing the dampers now, or do they still have plenty of life left (assuming no fluid leaks, etc.)? If I should replace, what brand/model do you recommend?

Thanks in advance,

xxx
2016 GTI PP (non-DCC)

I think you're reading too far into a short email. I'm not looking to argue either, but I also don't want to speak for ED. It wouldn't be in any spring manufacturers best interest to say "you need $800 of shocks for best performance" or "this will cause your stock shocks to wear at a slightly higher rate". At that point you're just buying coilovers.

The idea behind lowering springs is to increase rates to improve handling and to avoid bottoming out with less suspension travel. Doing that on stock springs is a huge selling point, but aftermarket shocks designed for shorter springs therefore improving travel, as well as improved damping, will always be beneficial.

IBFreeman

Ready to race!
Flip: are you running springs alone currently?

We recommend the stock units because that is what our development and testing was based around. Much of the draw with lowering springs is that you don't need to absorb the cost of aftermarket dampers, something we focused on when finalizing the heights and spring rates.

We do have customers running aftermarket dampers (Koni FSD, Bilstein B8) with reported great results. There is certainly not a compatibility issue, we just don't want customers to feel that the stock dampers are insufficient.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Flip: are you running springs alone currently?

I am running ED springs on the stock shocks (installed at ~5k? Currently at 17k) and their rear sway bar. My plan is to add Bilstein sports to the mix in the future, but ride quality is still great for now. Not a requirement by any means, the spring rates aren't THAT much higher than stock, but make sure your bumpstops get cut/shortened because they are lowering springs and the travel will be reduced. I don't think mine were or if they were, not enough.

Edit: Didn't even have to page Thomas! Hopefully his post clarifies a bit on damper choices and recommendations.

IBFreeman

Ready to race!
We recommend the stock units because that is what our development and testing was based around. Much of the draw with lowering springs is that you don't need to absorb the cost of aftermarket dampers, something we focused on when finalizing the heights and spring rates.

We do have customers running aftermarket dampers (Koni FSD, Bilstein B8) with reported great results. There is certainly not a compatibility issue, we just don't want customers to feel that the stock dampers are insufficient.

Thanks for the note! :D FWIW there wasn't an underlying dick punch in my statement lol

I am running ED springs on the stock shocks (installed at ~5k? Currently at 17k) and their rear sway bar. My plan is to add Bilstein sports to the mix in the future, but ride quality is still great for now. Not a requirement by any means, the spring rates aren't THAT much higher than stock, but make sure your bumpstops get cut/shortened because they are lowering springs and the travel will be reduced. I don't think mine were or if they were, not enough.

Edit: Didn't even have to page Thomas! Hopefully his post clarifies a bit on damper choices and recommendations.

Schweet. I guess my main concern is how long the stockers will hold up. It will always be in the back of my mind sadly. Which is what is uncomforting I guess.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Schweet. I guess my main concern is how long the stockers will hold up. It will always be in the back of my mind sadly. Which is what is uncomforting I guess.

The funny part about dampers degrading is you don't generally notice it until you replace them hahaha. Then it's the same as getting new tires, the whole car just feels better.

Look at it this way, stock dampers could start to degrade at 60-80k miles with stock springs, and you could reduce that by 10%? 20%? Either way shocks are a wear item, and the stock shocks are functional but not amazing compared to aftermarket options.

Your shocks won't just catastrophically fail one day regardless. Just do it, its a great mod to pair with some spacers:

IMG_20170115_162550 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Just got them installed yesterday and only 60ish miles under my belt but damn the car looks amazing and it rides exactly like OEM so far. I left out the rear pads for now.

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
Just ordered my ED springs on the sale, thinking about going with the 10/15 spacer setup. What brand is everyone with this setup going with?