GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Toe alignment questions for Autocross

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
hey folks, from what I've read, adjusting to toe out can be beneficial for autocross.
my GSW is on 195 width tires. Without loading the car and using toe plates, front total toe was 3/32 and rear -2/32.

Just to familiarize myself on front adjustment, I did ~1/2 turn on each front tie rod and now front toe is ~1/8 out.

Test driving on the street, can't tell much difference.

questions:

1. if adjust toe for autocross, what are your targets front and rear?

2. am I getting more negative camber as I adjust front toe out?

thanks for any answers or commenta

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Before anything else, FWIW I am running 0 toe front and rear.

A bit of front toe out is supposed to help turn-in, its effect IMO is minimum. But 1/8" won't hurt. The car might be slightly more nervous under braking, but effect is minimum.

Rear toe has a big effect on stability. Rear toe out will help the car rotate both under braking and steady state, but that also means it is inducing an unstable condition. Which can be useful, especially on a FWD car on autoX course(and one that have longer wheelbase like the GSW will probably need it more). The trade off is on your daily driving it might make it a bit less desirable, as that instability can translate to either more likely to wander on highway, or oversteery reaction on turning at highway speed. I wouldn't run any more than 1/8" total out, if at all.

Front toe-out won't add any more camber, at least not from actual camber adjustment. Front toe has some effect on static camber because of caster, but the amount we are talking about from toe is minuscule.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
thank you!

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
also to note, toe typically is what adds tire wear and potentially have impact on MPG, as any amount of toe is causing some slip angle going forward on a given tire, adding some tire drag and wear.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
fyi I ran an event with this toe setting, results were good but I confounded the variables with other changes: spacers up front plus a change in tire pressures. Overall car rotated well and my experienced co-driver made good use of it.
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?p=454820