GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone autox'ing a 1.8 TSI golf or gsw?

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
One tail-happy car

we had a fun event this weekend. organizers took a course, broke it into sections and allowed multiple timed runs on each section. Afterwards, two "normal" runs across the whole course, compare to the best times on the sections. A good opportunity for concentrated practice of elements: slalom, turnaround, Chicago box, etc.

Participant count low 30s for a full day, so plenty of action. I'm classed in the slowest class but managed to top a few folks in faster cars.

I took advantage of our relaxed stock rules and put 15mm spacers up front and also set front toe to 1/8" out. Set tire pressure to 50f, 35r. This really REALLY loosened up the rear and made it a hand-ful at first but as the day went on it the above was a clear improvement: better slip and rotation in slaloms, better grip in the turnaround and in high speed obstacles (our Chicago box was placed after the highest speed section).

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

skinnyroots

Ready to race!
I'm seriously considering signing up for my first AutoX this summer--but I have a few reservations.

For one, I have zero performance driving experience. I don't expect everyone there to be pros, but I don't know how welcome they'd be to newbies.

Secondly, I just bought a brand new set of performance summer tires a couple weeks ago, and I'd hate to burn through them so quickly. I mean, they've got a treadwear rating of 340, and I have a dedicated set of winters, but this car is my daily and I can't afford to burn through them so quickly.

That said, I'm open to being convinced otherwise. I can't think of a better place to safely test the limits of my car other than a track or an AutoX event.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
skinnyroots, on my first autox my skills were pretty low and the biggest challenge was to stay on course.

If you decide to try,I think one key point is to seek and accept help wherever available. At our club, newbies are encouraged to accept instructors and hitch rides with good drivers to observe technique.

On tires I understand your concern. I bought cheap wheels and all season tires on CL until I develop my skills and I plan to improve my front camber before I try out aggressive summers.

You can have loads of fun on all seasons and develop your skills. Over time you will gain ground on other experienced drivers and can you then decide if you want to sink more money into better autocross tires.

rexneffect

Ready to race!
I can't think of a better place to safely test the limits of my car other than a track or an AutoX event.

That's the 1st reason to do it.
Anything else is an excuse. Whatever tires you have will have less life when you're done, but you won't kill them in a day. Slow in, fast out and you'll be nicer to tires and faster than the alternative.

Many eperienced people will be happy to ride with you and let you ride a lap with them. Try to ride one first if you can and walk the course 3 times until you can see it in your head.

Have a nice Sunday drive. There's no rule that you HAVE to go fast. But I bet you won't be able to go slow ;)

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
for any crazy person like me, running all seasons on 15s, here's an interesting tire on sale. No personal experience. Reviews I've read are pretty positive for dry grip, somewhat negative in the wet. Maybe an autox only tire given that as well as smaller diameter.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
okay so I bought them. I'm almost as happy as she is.

They'll sit on the shelf until I wear out my current autox fronts.

Last edited:

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I also did these Vorshlag plates. They're on the car now and will get their first autox use next week.
https://vorshlag-store.com/collecti.../vw-mk7-golf-gti-camber-caster-plates-perches

Plates came preset with +1° caster. Even with camber set to 0 adjust, car feels great, definitely more steering response.

NVH-wise, car feels like tires are at 50psi while in reality they are at 32. More road noise and bump noise, but given I'm on 15" wheels, its really no biggie. Feels sportier.

No clunks or other bad noises. Just amplification of normal nvh.

Some limitation in adjustability. At positive caster setting and stock springs, camber can be adjusted 3 notches out of 5 with no issues. Haven't tried to fine tune closer but know it won't go all the way. Setting caster adjust to 0° would probably help. I doubt 2.5" id coilover springs would have any limits.

Edit:-------
I discovered that driver's side is only 2 out of 5. Not sure how I made this error. Perhaps looking thru a mirror plus FL heat caused my confusion. Adjusting caster back to zero did not help. Bummer, but keeping them on.

Last edited:

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Federals - turned out to be 2011 vintage. Too cheap to be true I guess.

Decided to get them mounted and try them out on the street. Huge improvement over all season, plus the extra torque is noticeable (though not "wow!" )

Edit: 195/55/15 tire size does make it look like a clown car :)

Last edited:

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
prepped the car for this weekend's autocross mischief.

swapped to Federal EVO 195/55r15 on steelies, added 20mm spacers up front, pushed tire psi into the stratesphere, packed the rear bump stops, adjusted camber plates.

The smaller diameter lowers the car and gives it more low end. The tire compound is a major increase in grip from all seasons ....hard to make them give up on the street.

This will be my first event with the tires. I've been away from events for over a month, so really looking forward to this weekend.

Last edited:

richard_rsp

okay so I bought them. I

So what do you think of the shorter tires? Do you drive a manual or automatic? If you drive a manual, and the 2nd gear in the GSW is the same TALL gearing as the Golf, the smaller diameter should improve acceleration and still be able to hit well above 60mph before redline (which is good for Autocross). I picked up my TSI Golf earlier this month and plan to autocross a similar diameter tire (205/45/R16 Hankook RS4s) once spring comes back around. I had them (for only one Autocross) on my MINI Cooper and was pleasantly surprised to see that they share the same bolt pattern (assuming the wheels clear my brakes) on the VW.

The Wheels/Tires
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AGrBD8Qdo4KUNLyA6UFIM6fmgU0tbHnf/view?usp=sharing

On the MINI
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-IkmLaoHosqRqX5C0_KLdh4XuVp-I53O/view?usp=sharing

My new Golf TSI
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12ANgzkMF7P5AolWXGBi-pzRIWjyZTUqL/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
So what do you think of the shorter tires? Do you drive a manual or automatic? If you drive a manual, and the 2nd gear in the GSW is the same TALL gearing as the Golf, the smaller diameter should improve acceleration and still be able to hit well above 60mph before redline (which is good for Autocross). I picked up my TSI Golf earlier this month and plan to autocross a similar diameter tire (205/45/R16 Hankook RS4s) once spring comes back around. I had them (for only one Autocross) on my MINI Cooper and was pleasantly surprised to see that they share the same bolt pattern (assuming the wheels clear my brakes) on the VW.

The Wheels/Tires
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AGrBD8Qdo4KUNLyA6UFIM6fmgU0tbHnf/view?usp=sharing

On the MINI
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-IkmLaoHosqRqX5C0_KLdh4XuVp-I53O/view?usp=sharing

My new Golf TSI
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12ANgzkMF7P5AolWXGBi-pzRIWjyZTUqL/view?usp=sharing
I like the shorter tires, at least for autox.

I have an auto.

There's a very noticeable gearing effect. Third gear happens more but I don't think of much consequence....and slower sections in 2nd feel better.

Not much tire choice on 15s at stock diameter so the big win is better grip.

On the street at autox psi the Federals are kinda harsh (camber plates too) and I switch back asap. Street tires (15s) with plates are quite tolerable.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
You guys doing sway bar adjustments; is that with adjustable links or are you changing another parameter?