GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

help with auto dimming 000072548C mirror

Navi

Autocross Champion
Hey guys, just installed the 000072548C auto dimming homelink mirror. Install was pretty forward except for the security clips on the a pillar, but anyways love the mirror and everything functions fine. Only issue is that the black plastic trim pieces do not fit with this mirror. I read that they might need to be trimmed to fit. Was wondering what everyone else did who have done this install. Are there pieces I can buy made to fit with this mirror? I searched on vwvortex and this forum and have not found any good info besides one person saying to trim the pieces. I have a 2017 SE with light package. Please let me know.

JS2502

Hey guys, just installed the 000072548C auto dimming homelink mirror. Install was pretty forward except for the security clips on the a pillar, but anyways love the mirror and everything functions fine. Only issue is that the black plastic trim pieces do not fit with this mirror. I read that they might need to be trimmed to fit. Was wondering what everyone else did who have done this install. Are there pieces I can buy made to fit with this mirror? I searched on vwvortex and this forum and have not found any good info besides one person saying to trim the pieces. I have a 2017 SE with light package. Please let me know.

Did you buy the correct mirror?
There is one for vehicles without rain sensor (000072548E) and the one you bought (000072548C) for vehicles with rain sensor.
If you have the rain sensor the trim pieces should fit, no trimming required.
Can you post some pictures?

Navi

Autocross Champion
Don't spread incorrect information. 000072548C is the part everyone has been using for the last two years. To clarify, it works with FULL functionality. I bought it before the part number #000072548F came out. The F mirror is made specifically for the 2017 with rain sensing wipers without DAP. In 2017 they changed the trim pieces that cover the mirror base. The trim pieces do not work with the 000072548C mirror. I had to modify them aka trim the trim pieces. Still fits but not perfectly. If I had to do it again I would get the F mirror so that it's perfect fit first time in. Don't spread incorrect information.

local

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19R
Don't spread incorrect information. 000072548C is the part everyone has been using for the last two years. To clarify, it works with FULL functionality. I bought it before the part number #000072548F came out. The F mirror is made specifically for the 2017 with rain sensing wipers without DAP. In 2017 they changed the trim pieces that cover the mirror base. The trim pieces do not work with the 000072548C mirror. I had to modify them aka trim the trim pieces. Still fits but not perfectly. If I had to do it again I would get the F mirror so that it's perfect fit first time in. Don't spread incorrect information.

aw crap i got the C mirror also.. I have a 2017 SE. Do you have any photos of the described area??

I ordered from ShopDAP.. i figured they would be on top of it :/

RRF985

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you know if the trim pieces can be ordered separately? I got the mirror as a Christmas present and didn’t know about the F revision.

RRF985

Passed Driver's Ed
So F is with or without DAP? I probably should just install what I have and modify as necessary.

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
Last edited:

cruzmisl

Ready to race!
Oh man. I went through this with ShopDAP in back in JUNE!

I even sent them multiple e-mails about their site not being clear enough for 2017 SE and Autobahn models without the full DAP package or just rain sensing wipers. For 2017 VW changed the mounting geometry or something which is why 17 SE and Autobahns need the "F" revision if they have rain sensors. There is some confusion about DAP and no DAP because pre-2018s can have DAP but not have the optional DAP stuff like the lane keeping and auto high beams, which relies on the camera mounted by the rearview mirror. 2017 Cars with rain sensing and/or DAP WITHOUT the lane keeping and auto high beams should get the F.

For the "C" revision to work, I had to cut the car's black cover piece with a dremel to make it fit. You can see on the bottom of the right side piece in the image below. I had to cut the upside down U shape to make it fit.

I also tried to buy a '16 trim piece but it WON'T work on the 17.

I asked if they could update their website to be more clear, and if they could swap me with an F revision. Guess what? No response. It soured me on them because they were initially responsive about it, but once I showed them the issue, with pictures and everything they just stopped responding completely.

Since I have a mild case of OCD, I ended up getting an F later and selling the C privately, since ShopDAP wouldn't take it back. The F fit perfectly.

Last edited: