GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Beware of OEM rack

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I had my OEM bike rack on my car for about 9 days and when I removed it I was greeted by these paint defects.

Driver side

Passenger side

It looks like the stain that would be left behind by a wet cup being left on a wooden coffee table. I'll try to polish it out with my machine polisher but I don't think I'll have much luck without wet sanding.

Kind of annoying to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Not scratches that's for sure. It looks like moisture under the clear, but may not be that either. I wet sanded it and polished it and it took care of it. Simply polishing it did absolutely nothing to remove it, no mater how abrasive the polish was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carchrism5

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Thanks for posting this, I've been trying to decide on a rack for my bikes and wasn't aware of this issue. Anyone else have this same problem?

rip steakface

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for posting this, I've been trying to decide on a rack for my bikes and wasn't aware of this issue. Anyone else have this same problem?

i've had my oem rack on and off (usually remove it in winter) my 15 gti for 2+ years now. longest stretch was probably about 9 months. i had one small (dime-sized) spot when i first removed the rack after the first time i installed it (maybe 7 months?). since then no additional spots. i only put it back on after thoroughly cleaning both the car and the bottom of the rack's rubber mounting feet.