GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 11-16-2015, 09:58 PM   #18
GolfWang

Drives: '15 Night Blue DSG S
I'm sure it varies by car, and by how the car was driven in its first 1k miles (break-in period). There are 3 different camps on engine break-in: 1) do what the manual says, which is baby it, 2) do the opposite of what the manual says, and floor it every single opportunity you get, and 3) drive normally, consistently varying revs between 2 and 4K RPMs.

I'm of the 2nd camp. Haven't had any oil consumption in my car. So I guess depending on how well seated the piston rings are, you'll get more or less fuel in the oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GolfWang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:03 PM   #19
greggles

Drives: GTI
LewBob,

These cars use direct injection, which sprays the fuel directly into the cylinder (as opposed to firing in the intake port in the heads). This tends to cause a bit higher fuel dilution. (happens in the speed3's as well).
greggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:03 PM   #20
drrck

Drives: 2015 GTI PP/SE/LP
Gentlemen, I present to you my first oil analysis. Factory fill, two track days tuned with Eurodyne Stage 1. My eye tells me that for my car and driving style 7,500-10K may be possible even when tuned. Your thoughts?

drrck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:44 PM   #21
greggles

Drives: GTI
drrck,
It's hard to get an idea of what OCI you can use when you only have one data point, and it's the very first oil change. You might have to do one more to get a general idea, though two would be recommended.

If you are tracking, I'd probably stick to 5k intervals personally. It's cheap insurance. How'd the brakes hold up on the track? What pads are you using?
greggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:51 PM   #22
drrck

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggles View Post
drrck,
It's hard to get an idea of what OCI you can use when you only have one data point, and it's the very first oil change. You might have to do one more to get a general idea, though two would be recommended.

If you are tracking, I'd probably stick to 5k intervals personally. It's cheap insurance. How'd the brakes hold up on the track? What pads are you using?
I've got the PP, so OEM big brakes. They have held up really well, they stop hard and predictably. Pad wear is pretty average I'd say, I think I'll get another 3 events out of this set for sure. If I change from the OE pads I'll probably move to EBC Yellows as some of the euro contingent have had success with them.

Since I did a sample rather than a full drop I'll probably run this oil till spring and then change it out before the next season. Should put me around 6500-7000 by spring which I think should be okay given I'm on snows now and have no possibility of "spirited driving" between now and then

If I get bored mid-winter I might change it early but it looks like there is plenty of additive left.
drrck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:46 PM   #23
enkil

Drives: Mk7 Golf GTi
Nice info.. when i visit the track my oil change is half the interval at 7500km. VW recommended interval here is 15000km or 10k miles.

Build - http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2153
enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:52 PM   #24
drrck

Third analysis. Three track days and 1 year of DD.

Old 05-17-2017, 03:14 PM   #25
BlueHen

Drives: '16 GTI S PP LP 6M 4dr NBM
Nice report, man. Thanks for posting. 7.5k to 10k looks like a good OCI for your engine. Just watch the shearing. These engines do look to be shearing the oil a bit as the OCI approaches 7.5k miles or so.

Here was my last report (mods JB1 + downpipe). I will be running this current fill to an 8,750 mi OCI:

Old 05-17-2017, 03:27 PM   #26
drrck

Yeah I wasn't sure at first what oil the dealers are using but it appears to be 5-30 not 5-40 which explains my viscosity results. At 5-30 my range should be 54-63 which makes it look a bit more believable given the TBN remaining.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:31 PM   #27
BlueHen

Drives: '16 GTI S PP LP 6M 4dr NBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrck View Post
Yeah I wasn't sure at first what oil the dealers are using but it appears to be 5-30 not 5-40 which explains my viscosity results. At 5-30 my range should be 54-63 which makes it look a bit more believable given the TBN remaining.
That may very well be the case, since your first report was out of grade (for 40 weight) at under 5K miles. But again, your wear numbers are just fine. I'd still move to a 5w40 oil though.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:34 PM   #28
drrck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHen View Post
That may very well be the case, since your first report was out of grade (for 40 weight) at under 5K miles. But again, your wear numbers are just fine. I'd still move to a 5w40 oil though.
Once I have to pay for the oil changes I'll be moving to 5w40 for sure. I have such low mileage that I only do annual oil changes and I got a sweet deal on the first 3 years.