GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just did resonator delete on my Golf 1.8T

Pacman91

Passed Driver's Ed
I have removed the heat shield this morning as per recommendations from others to cope with some drone between 65-70 mph.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

How are you finding exhaust sounds in cabin after heat shield removal?

espo92

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Audi A3 2.0T
Coming from someone who had a resonator/muffler delete on a mk7, removing them made the car really loud. I left it like that for about 2-3 months, and then went stage 2 (catted downpipe included). Car became unbearable. Just changed over to a stock GTI exhaust plus the downpipe, and I love it. Might be a bit quiet overall, but after the harshness of the straight pipe, I love it. I wouldn't drive the car hard at all with the straight pipe because i felt people (and cops) constantly thought I was racing them.

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
How are you finding exhaust sounds in cabin after heat shield removal?
It did make a difference. It doesn't resonate inside as bad as it was before going 60-70 MPH. I even measured the dB with a sound meter over the same stretch of the road going to work. The dB's were lower which what I was hoping for.

I wouldn't remove the resonator as others said it becomes way too loud. Muffler delete sounds like having an aftermarket exhaust but for the fraction of the cost and the process is reversible.

sergemcgraw83

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah. Only remove the resonator if you only remove the resonator.

Pacman91

Passed Driver's Ed
It did make a difference. It doesn't resonate inside as bad as it was before going 60-70 MPH. I even measured the dB with a sound meter over the same stretch of the road going to work. The dB's were lower which what I was hoping for.

I wouldn't remove the resonator as others said it becomes way too loud. Muffler delete sounds like having an aftermarket exhaust but for the fraction of the cost and the process is reversible.

Thankso I'll try and pull the heat shield off this weekend. I do love the growl it has now and even has a dsg fart sound on changes when I'm at anything over 75% throttle. Can't wait to get the stage 2 tune soon and be able to hear and not just feel the power increase!

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
I have removed the heat shield this morning as per recommendations from others to cope with some drone between 65-70 mph.

Bringing this thread back from the dead. Planning on doing a muffler delete with center exit. Just to confirm, this is 4" tips w/ 2.25" inlet?

Now that some time have pasted. Would you do anything differently?

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
those who have done this, how much weight did you save?

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I think the resonator weighs about 20ish lbs, so probably at least 15 saved. It's a lot of hollow space.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
Bringing this thread back from the dead. Planning on doing a muffler delete with center exit. Just to confirm, this is 4" tips w/ 2.25" inlet?

Now that some time have pasted. Would you do anything differently?
Yes, I wouldn't do muffler delete ever again. Either invest in a proper catback or get a downpipe. These 4 cylinder engines sound like shit. I had muffler delete, then downpipe and res delete, then APR turboback and finally found a combo I can live every day with which is APR downpipe paired with non-resonated midsection Remus catback.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

tigeo

Autocross Champion
^^^I don't get the whole "delete" w/r to your stock exhaust...just seems like it makes it sound like a fart-can.

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
After a lot of YouTube videos and reading a bunch of different people’s stories. I think I’m going to not do a muffler delete and shell out the money for an AWE Track exhaust but have it re-routed out the middle to work with the oem center exit rear valence.