GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Group install for Euro LEDs... plus a bonus 7.5 LED!

ashiun

Ready to race!
http://imgur.com/a/IhMcP

Did a group buy and install with a dozen or so from the local VW/Audi group. Was a fun time, plus we got the treat of seeing what's probably one of the first installed MK7.5 LED tail lights in Canada.

Great community!

deathmonkey

Passed Driver's Ed
It's cool that you had a bunch of people together to do this! Did you run into any install/coding problems at all?

ashiun

Ready to race!
It's cool that you had a bunch of people together to do this! Did you run into any install/coding problems at all?

Everybody got through coding real quick and easy, except for me and the MK7.5 guy.

Being MK7.5, they had to do some googling to figure out how to code it, and I previously had Urban Joke V2s coded on so we had to work around that or else it will cause problems.

But with a bit of work, we got everything sorted out!

deathmonkey

Passed Driver's Ed
Everybody got through coding real quick and easy, except for me and the MK7.5 guy.

Being MK7.5, they had to do some googling to figure out how to code it, and I previously had Urban Joke V2s coded on so we had to work around that or else it will cause problems.

But with a bit of work, we got everything sorted out!

Yeah, my install was pretty smooth outside of breaking the rubber boots on the hatch, and the coding was really quick. I just need to do the jumper cable from this thread to get the Euro OEM functionality since I bought the DAP harness: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...P-Harness-for-Independent-Inner-Light-Control

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
my install was pretty smooth outside of breaking the rubber boots on the hatch

Was it the tabs that broke? If so, join the club. Do NOT follow that part of the DAP video. He depressed the outside tabs. It should be the inside tabs that you depress, as they are more robust. The DAP video is otherwise good, but for the boot removal step, follow the .pdf that ECS Tuning provides on their website. See first picture on Pg 17 here: http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f3e01bf511d4da3315c66902d6.r6.cf1.rackcdn.com/PDF_20035_Volkswagen_MK7_Golf_European_LED_Tail_Light_Harness_Kit_Install_r3.pdf

The boot is easily reseated with clear RTV, but it still nags at me that the install wasn't perfect. I like perfect.

deathmonkey

Passed Driver's Ed
Was it the tabs that broke? If so, join the club. Do NOT follow that part of the DAP video. He depressed the outside tabs. It should be the inside tabs that you depress, as they are more robust. The DAP video is otherwise good, but for the boot removal step, follow the .pdf that ECS Tuning provides on their website. See first picture on Pg 17 here: http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f...ean_LED_Tail_Light_Harness_Kit_Install_r3.pdf

The boot is easily reseated with clear RTV, but it still nags at me that the install wasn't perfect. I like perfect.

Yes, that one particular tab. I didn't do my due diligence and research everything like I should have, I followed the DAP video of course. I have some clear RTV on my boots now too; luckily I did it right away and haven't had any issues with water leaking in.

I'm pretty OCD and had I known I would've just snaked all the way through them, but for what it probably costs at the dealership to get them swapped out, I'm good with the RTV for now.

ashiun

Ready to race!
Yes, that one particular tab. I didn't do my due diligence and research everything like I should have, I followed the DAP video of course. I have some clear RTV on my boots now too; luckily I did it right away and haven't had any issues with water leaking in.

I'm pretty OCD and had I known I would've just snaked all the way through them, but for what it probably costs at the dealership to get them swapped out, I'm good with the RTV for now.

Yeah what we did was tape the wires to a ziptie and fish it through all panels, especially the rubber part. None of us broke any clips :D

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Another pro tip is to run string with each pass so you don't have to fish twice. Just pull the string back through with the next wire. On one of the driver side runs, be sure to add the rear fog wire and orient it so the correct connectors are at each end. It's female on one and male on the other. The rear fog is awesome on the OEM euro R tails. I can light up signs and faces behind my car. :D