GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do our M5 transmissions have reverse synchros?

Robatron7k

So when I first got my 2107 Golf with an M5 transmission I was pretty rusty with a manual and I absent mindedly shoved it in to reverse without depressing the clutch! It made a pretty nast clicking noise and killed the engine.

I don't think any major damage was caused, but every now and then I get a slight clunk when shifting into reverse.

Today, the gears even grinded a bit when I put it into reverse when going off to lunch. I had the clutch fully depressed when this happened.

Do we have reverse synchros? Could this be one gong bad? Clunks don't happen every day at all, but I hate hearing them.

Should I just shift into 2nd before I go into reverse?

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Nope no synchro in reverse. I've also done this accidentally once or twice, where I'm going through the procedure to turn off the car and forget to turn off the engine before putting it in reverse and accidentally stalled the engine with a loud clunk (I'm impressed I was able to shove it into gear without using the clutch so easily). Don't worry about the noises and grinding. I think for our cars it's shifting into 1st that makes going into reverse easier.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
put it in 1st. Then put it in neutral. Release clutch. Depress clutch. Put in reverse. Seems to help grinding.