GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Emmanuel design springs defect?

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
We sent you an email to see if we can get this spring back to test. The marks on the top are very odd, as the strut is designed to rotate with the bearing perch, but looks like it was sliding against it (almost as if the bearing was not rotating at all). We have a few springs floating around with many more miles that aren't consistent with that wear pattern, so it would be nice to check that spring on our bench.

Yes I just saw that. I will send them back. What about the other rust marks? The passenger side was rusting on the bottom as seen in the pic. There are a lot more paint chipping and flaking then these pics that I can share. Mid coil 1/4" spots on both rusted and more.

Again this is on 3k miles!!!!

Emmanuel designs offered me 15% off a rear sway bar as compensation.

Really? Whats the going rate for install?? Nice service! I should have been offered a little more imo. I could have had some nice coilovers instead of these white what I paid.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
My OEM coils had wear on them when I pulled them off at less than 10k, paint cracks/chips especially on parts of the spring that contact metal and can twist. I don't think that's as *shocking* as you think it is. It's just surface rust on a part under your car.

And I can't hold my tongue, you've come off as a bit of a complainer IMO. They've attempted to remedy with you. There are no guarantees in life, and modding cars comes with risks. You'll make it out alive. Chill out.

Not saying your post and experience doesn't have merit for others, but this whining smear campaign is a bit unnecessary.

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
My OEM coils had wear on them when I pulled them off at less than 10k, paint cracks/chips especially on parts of the spring that contact metal and can twist. I don't think that's as *shocking* as you think it is. It's just surface rust on a part under your car.

And I can't hold my tongue, you've come off as a bit of a complainer IMO. They've attempted to remedy with you. There are no guarantees in life, and modding cars comes with risks. You'll make it out alive. Chill out.

Not saying your post and experience doesn't have merit for others, but this whining smear campaign is a bit unnecessary.

Hey. I'm trying to do my part to ensure no one else goes through this. Last year the same issue happened on the s3 mqb platform. It's crazy to think that a year later in going through this.

I have a mk6 gti. See build thread in sig. I have about 80k miles on the koni coils and they do not show this type of wear.

It's cool to stick up for a company. I hear you. I've been modding vws since '96. But for people to not voice complains make other defective products and shell out lots of money to remedy issues hat should it have been.

We can talk off line if you want. Pm me

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Hey. I'm trying to do my part to ensure no one else goes through this. Last year the same issue happened on the s3 mqb platform. It's crazy to think that a year later in going through this.

I have a mk6 gti. See build thread in sig. I have about 80k miles on the koni coils and they do not show this type of wear.

It's cool to stick up for a company. I hear you. I've been modding vws since '96. But for people to not voice complains make other defective products and shell out lots of money to remedy issues hat should it have been.

Your posts have been informative and you seem level headed to me.

Just because you mod your car you shouldn't have to be a beta tester.

I have been leary as well ever since the S3 spring issue.

This paired with ED refusing to release spring rates makes me leary that their manufacturing process may not be repeatable as the big boys.

I am leaning DG or possibly MSS Kits.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG

I think you totally misunderstood what I said because you spent a lot of time defending your right to voice your complaints and to share your experience with the product. Not at all what I have an issue with.

Where I think you are being unreasonable is with your expectations for a manufacturer's warranty. This is not coming from a loyal ED customer defending their favorite brand, but from someone who works for a company who makes aftermarket car parts. I can't speak for all warranties, but none that I'm familiar with would cover labor to replace a defective part.

Let me give you a hypothetical using your k04'd MK6. Let's say after just 3k miles on your APR K04 setup the turbo failed. You're now out $1500+ for a new turbo, plus labor, fluids, etc. Earlier in this thread you wanted to lawyer up over $1200 of install labor, which is anything but level headed. Who would you sue over your turbo failing? Borg Warner? APR? Your shop? The answer is nobody, that is 100% on you. Thems the breaks.

Your issue now is over money and inconvenience. Inconvenience I get, and can be at least eased by quickly getting replacement parts to you, offering support and trouble shooting, etc. Stuff happens, no company makes a perfect product, and ED's response has been what I'd expect. But taking your issue and lumping it hand full of others and treating it like start of a world wide safety recall is unreasonable and where I took issue. If this part is 100% flawed and to be avoided at all costs like you've suggested, why aren't 100% of people having this problem? Why am I not having any issues as a Golf R owner, which is functionally the same car as the S3 MQB?

Would we still be having this discussion if you did your own labor and were only out a few weekends and a case of beer? Probably not.

Anyway, I hope my original comment has a bit more context. You're free to completely disagree with my opinions here. A few things you said just rubbed me the wrong way.

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Would we still be having this discussion if you did your own labor and were only out a few weekends and a case of beer? Probably not.

Thanks for taking your time to respond.

The main issue here is that when these springs first came out almost all MQB platform cars had the same issue as I had a year later. What does that tell you. First, how can you release a product to consumers without proper research and development? How was this coil hang up not discovered until after it was released? Then I have the same exact issue a year after they were revised? Come on man.

When I contacted them they tried to blame everything but the spring. They asked if I cut the bumpstops. I answered vaguely to see their response. They then said cutting them could product the coil catch, totally contradicting their diy video.

They then said t was impossible to have that binding as it would taken 90% coil compression!

"Based on your photos, it appears that your suspension is being overly compressed (indicating that the bump stops are trimmed well outside their functional height). In order for the top coil to contact the second, you will need to be above 90% of the spring's compression (outside of the recommended range for any spring). For our local installs, we typically trim the bump stops on non-sport cars (base Golf, etc.) as they are lowered around 1.8" and will sit on the bump stops. The Golf R, GTI, S3, etc. have shorter bump stops due to being a factory sport suspension car and trimming is not needed on these platforms (VW also updated them in 2016, introducing an even shorter design)."

I had to once agin prove that was a false statement by showing at static ride height the coil actually rests inside the coil below it. I simply took the wheel off and jacked up the suspension using the vehicle weight.

Not until then would they send out replacements. FYI the bump stops were never trimmed since day one.

Last edited:

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Furthermore, with the aftermarket there are always questionable reviews.

I don't know how far back you go with the Volkswagen "scene", but often manufactures will give products for free for favorable reviews. I for one have been offered this numerous times. Why do you think my car was in the SPM booth at waterfest lol.

Reading the S3 forums many people were very upset that original reviews of ED springs were very favorable then everyone had the coil bind issue. Makes you think?

I'm not saying in anyway this is what happened in EDs case. I'm saying if people just keep their mouths shut and don't complain company's are given a free pass to sell crap products. The accountability must be on the manufacture especially if it was a known issue.

I will not apologize for sounding like a "complainer". If I save one person from buying shit then I did my job here. I wish there were more post showing what happened with this spring before I purchased. Fool me once....

As of writing there have been over 1k views of this thread. It's not even that old. That's the reason to sound like a "complainer".

Last edited:

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI

Anyway, I hope my original comment has a bit more context. You're free to completely disagree with my opinions here. A few things you said just rubbed me the wrong way.

One last thing...

You seem pretty active in my thread and my comments "rubbed you the wrong way". Made me think why you would care so much to write long drawn out defense over ED. reminded me of when tom at ap tuning made a fake account to defend APR lol

You seem to live very close to Emmanuel designs. Maybe there might be a conflict of interest?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
The issue I have is quantifying the scope of this issue. Ultimately you can't because you don't know how many sets of springs have been sold versus how many people have had issues. You say many people have had the exact same issue. What does that mean? For every 1 person who has had an issue, are there 50 people with no issues? 100 people? 500 people? Can we say with certainty that each person with an issue installed and used the product in the same way? Probably not.

I'd put your circumstance in the minority. If a product has a 1% defect rate, does that make it crap? Does that "known issue" invalidate 99% of the product sold that is not in defect?

Why even bring up favorable reviews for free product? That's not exactly a VW "scene" specific thing either haha. I can honestly say that I've been given nothing for free in regards to my springs, and I have zero issues with them. If I did, I'd say something. I'm sure there are a significant amount of people out there in the exact same situation as me, as I've seen more posts about people loving these springs than I have seen posts about people having issues.

It's clear you know what you know, and I won't sway you. I believe you got a defective part which sucks, but because of the disproportionate amount of people having issues I do not agree with you that these springs were not R&D'd or QC'd. I disagree with you that these springs are "crap", and that no one should buy them because of your experience alone. HOWEVER if your experience affects someones buying choice that is great. That's what reviews are for.

EDIT: You added quite a bit to your previous post that I didn't get a chance to read or respond to.

Last edited:

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
One last thing...

You seem pretty active in my thread and my comments "rubbed you the wrong way". Made me think why you would care so much to write long drawn out defense over ED. reminded me of when tom at ap tuning made a fake account to defend APR lol

You seem to live very close to Emmanuel designs. Maybe there might be a conflict of interest?

Haha, thats a good one. Nope sorry. Just me on my own, no relation to ED at all. I think you've got a few too many tin foil hats on.

Full disclosure though, I am an ED customer, and happily so. Have been for years. They tuned my CC, installed my CTS DP, I bought their springs and rear sway bar (which they installed). I've spoken with Thomas at length about a lot of stuff and I believe him to be a stand up guy.

Edit: I reread this post and I don't think you're understanding me at all if you think I'm defending ED specifically. That's not the case. I'm taking issue with your unreasonable expectations for a product warranty, and your over reaction to a defective product.

Last edited:

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I edited post number 36 to add to the customer service aspect. Feel free to respond to that.

I saw that, but that's for your review. You might consider adding that information to your OP. It's not what I took issue with so it doesn't change anything for me.

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
I saw that, but that's for your review. You might consider adding that information to your OP. It's not what I took issue with so it doesn't change anything for me.

Thank you. When you start paying for my parts I will ensure you don't take issue with my posts.
I wasn't going to go as far as I did in this post until you got involved. I guess future purchasers have you to thank if this thread sways them ;)

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Thank you. When you start paying for my parts I will ensure you don't take issue with my posts.
I wasn't going to go as far as I did in this post until you got involved. I guess future purchasers have you to thank if this thread sways them ;)

You're a funny guy. Why would me paying for your parts change anything about this or what I took issue with?

Anyway enjoy your car and best of luck getting this resolved. Suspension R&R sucks. I'll just go back to being a covert operative for a company suspiciously in the same state as me. A bit too coincidental isn't it! :rolleyes:

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
Not trying to take anything from ED but I will add this. When asked about spring rates they always say we don't publish those and I have seen posts claiming it is for "competetive reasons". I think that is a pretty lame excuse because if I wanted to I can buy their springs and have them tested to see exact spring rates. Are they hoping no one will think of doing this? What is there to hide? Are your spring rates not consistent and people might get different numbers? All thats claimed is they are 15% stiffer. what does that mean? If my front oem spring is 235lbs and my rear is 300 lbs if I add 15% front and back it will give me your rate? Does that mean only one spring out of the 4 is 15% stiffer? does it mean each spring is approximately 3.5% stiffer making a total of 15%? Too many unanswered questions which is why I decided not to buy their springs unless I buy them and get them tested to see exactly what the spring rate is because I am not about to ruin the handling on my golf R.