GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

E85 is38 apr tune dsg tune

ML1234

Ready to race!
Just wondering if I can run some e85 for a little extra power without jb4 stacking and also if i can brake boost with apr tunes as well. The shop told me I cant so im confused.

wordsthatiwrote

Ready to race!
It is my understanding that you can run a bit of e85 but what youll run in to is wearing out the fuel system prematurely as it is not designed for such high ethanol concentrations.

Thats why there are flex fuel cars. Guessing that the tubing and gaskets dont dissolve in the fuel.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Since we only have 91 octane gas available in my area, I've been running around e30 blend in order to run the APR 93 oct tune for going on 9 months now with no issues.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
It is my understanding that you can run a bit of e85 but what youll run in to is wearing out the fuel system prematurely as it is not designed for such high ethanol concentrations.

Thats why there are flex fuel cars. Guessing that the tubing and gaskets dont dissolve in the fuel.

Brazil gets the same GTI with the same injectors, low pressure fuel pump and their fuel content is E25. We have done long term testing with similar levels with no negative affects of use.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Brazil gets the same GTI with the same injectors, low pressure fuel pump and their fuel content is E25. We have done long term testing with similar levels with no negative affects of use.
Now that there is a knowledge gem!! Thanks, George!

ML1234

Ready to race!
Since we only have 91 octane gas available in my area, I've been running around e30 blend in order to run the APR 93 oct tune for going on 9 months now with no issues.

Mixing lets say 1/4 e85 will i actually see power gains over 93. If i am racing someone I would like to get the edge over them unless its completely useless.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Mixing lets say 1/4 e85 will i actually see power gains over 93. If i am racing someone I would like to get the edge over them unless its completely useless.

It will help you get the max out of that tune. So any factors that would limit it on just 93, like heat, the e85 will help. Tuning for the e85 mixed in is a nice bump though. I run the JB4 and can adjust my map to add as much as 6 additional psi over just 93. I also see better timing and no corrections. I've gone as much as 4 gallons of e85 with a tank of 93 with no issues. I may try a little more, but I think I'm at my peak.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
It will help you get the max out of that tune. So any factors that would limit it on just 93, like heat, the e85 will help. Tuning for the e85 mixed in is a nice bump though. I run the JB4 and can adjust my map to add as much as 6 additional psi over just 93. I also see better timing and no corrections. I've gone as much as 4 gallons of e85 with a tank of 93 with no issues. I may try a little more, but I think I'm at my peak.
+ 1 And E85 creates more exhaust gas volume that benefits spooling while doing so at lower EGT's. A lot of people instantly notice the difference - a little espresso in your cup. :)

rafamonteiroo

Passed Driver's Ed
Now in Brazil our Gasoline is with 27% Ethanol ...

I saw a project of a GTI running on the E100, without changing anything of the fuel line, but I do not know how long it will last ...

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I would say you have to be able to tune for it. I.e. Jb4 or cobb to take advantage.

I ran e30 (or thereabouts) for 5 tanks.

The butt dyno couldn't tell a difference. The wallet did as I was getting 26mpg compared to 32.

Zx2man

Ready to race!
Are you stock tune Monkey?
On my stage 2 3 gallons of e85 is NOTICEABLE to say the least.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I can feel the extra power when i run my E30 tune. It does eat gas quicker, but thats not really a concern when i'm running the E30 instead of the 93.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
I have to agree, it eats gas quicker when there isn't anything to be gained performance wise by using it. I watched a video once about the Brazil ethanol market where, generally speaking, non-flex car owners will switch to full E85 when its cost per gallon gets 50-70% cheaper than that of regular fuel. Obviously, turbocharged engines maximize the efficiency of ethanol.