GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New GTI Owner, Question about Gas

kingkhan

Ready to race!
I purchased a 17' GTI Autobahn manual without the performance pack.

When I bought the car, the dealer informed me that this car takes regular gas (87 octane) and that was a definite selling point for me considering my commute is about 70km each way.

I have noticed that my car makes pinging noises when launching car around 1-2k RPM. This leads me to think that there is preignition/early detonation occurring. I don't get any CEL or have any issues when going into boost though, and the car runs fine otherwise. I just don't want to kill my engine by continuing to put regular gas. The car has about 8000km now and some brands of gas are worse than others. Most notably the pinging is worst when using Esso and Costco gas. So far Shell and Canadian Tire are faring better.

For my next tank of gas i'm going to try putting in premium to see how it fares. Has anyone else had any issues running regular gas in their MK7?

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
I've been running 87 for over 16k miles now on my 1.8T. I have 120 miles daily commute so using 93 isn't a cheap option as the difference between 87 and 93 here in FL close to $0.70 which is equavalent to $600 annually based on my average MPG.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
The advertised power and mileage figures for the 2.0T require premium gas (VW quote).

The car can take 87 octane. It will just run below its rated performance figures then at 91 or 93. (especially in the heat)

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I hear that pinging noise at really low RPMs even with 91 octane.

Only other option here is Chevron 94 octane. No pinging noise when I use this. Car also does seem to be a bit more peppy.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
I've been running 87 for over 16k miles now on my 1.8T. I have 120 miles daily commute so using 93 isn't a cheap option as the difference between 87 and 93 here in FL close to $0.70 which is equavalent to $600 annually based on my average MPG.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

That's different, that engine is tuned for economy as opposed to performance.

MikeyR44

Go Kart Newbie
Granted my car is still fairly new at 1300 miles, but I ran 93 from the day I got it until most recently when I knew I was going for a road trip and was going to be pretty much all highway miles... Filled up with BP 87 and didn't have any issues. To be honest, my butt dyno didn't even notice a difference. You can read about 87 vs 91/93 until you're blue in the face on this site... I'm of the opinion that the engineers who designed the car put 87 on the cap because it can take 87 without causing damage. I'll use 93 if I'm in town or in the twisties, and have no problem with using 87 to save a few bucks when I know I'll never eclipse 4k rpm on a road trip.

kingkhan

Ready to race!
OK so it seems like there is no issue with using Regular which is good. I have never put premium in the car so i don't know if i'm missing any power. For my commute the power is honestly enough and still makes the car super fun. I just wanted to make sure that i'm not ruining the car by running regular.

I came from a mazdaspeed 6 which had 275/280 and AWD and this car feels almost as fast due to the lower weight. This car definitely feels much more nimble though.

kingkhan

Ready to race!
If you're hearing PINGING/Knock with everything stock, take that fucker back to the dealer.

These cars are designed to run 87+

I'm 100% stock, and i was planning on taking it back to the dealer, but so far havent gotten the best experience with them with the shit tint job they did. Wanted to see if anyone else was getting the same thing before making my case to them.