GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New GTD owner from Northern Ireland

StevoM81

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK8 GTI
Just picked up my new car a few days ago a lovely 2015 White Golf GTD with only 12000 miles on her. This is my 1st time with a VW and so far i have to say am impressed with the level of spec that comes standard in the GTD. Previously i had a Audi A3 Black Edition 2.0TDI which was also a nice spec of car.

New GTD

Old A3 Black Edition

Stephen :)

Last edited:

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Congratulations on your new car; looks great, and so does the A3 too.

StevoM81

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK8 GTI
I'm in Ballymena. Loving the Golf, it's a great car. You got any plans for it? Mods

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Nothing really, just simple things like painting the brake calipers black, change the panel filter to a piper cross one. Also once the wheels get a bit tired i will get them refurbed in gunmetal as diamond cut wheel are a nightmare to keep. The main thing is keeping her clean lol which seems a lot easier so far than my black edition A3 lol

The GTD IMO doesn't need much changed as its a well sorted car straight from the factory.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Also once the wheels get a bit tired i will get them refurbed in gunmetal as diamond cut wheel are a nightmare to keep.

Good idea! :)

I really dislike diamond cut alloys and yes, IMO they are a nightmare. I wish manufacturers would stop fitting them, or offer a powder coated alternative as an option to new car buyers.

I had my mk6 GTD from new and two of the diamond cut alloys on my mk6 GTD succumbed to the dreaded white worm corrosion at two and a half years old, in spite of them being cleaned every 1-2 weeks and regularly sealed and waxed, and any stone chip damage repaired as soon as it happened (touched in with lacquer). IMO the disadvantages of diamond cut alloys far outweigh any advantages from an ownership proposition;

Advantages;
  • very 'bling' if you like that sort of thing, and they have great showroom appeal, so look good in the showroom.
Disadvantages;
  • not suited to the UK winter climate
  • fragile finish, which if it becomes damaged can allow the ingress of water below the lacquered surface and the onset of white worm corrosion.
  • more expensive to refurb, compared to a powder coated finish.
  • can only be refurbished 2-3 times maximum; due to the refurb process (removing a layer of alloy by re-cutting the face of the wheel) any more than 2-3 refurbishments compromise the structural integrity of the wheel.
After the white worm issue, I put a set of anthracite powder coated alloys on my GTD, and within 3-4 months of getting my Polo GTI I took the diamond cut alloys off and replaced them with another set of a anthracite alloys. The diamond cuts will go back on when I eventually sell the car.

One of the members on another forum had the 19" Santiago diamond cut alloys on his mk7 GTI powder coated in anthracite and IMO they looked so much better than the diamond cut finish.

danielmckendry

Ready to race!
Nothing really, just simple things like painting the brake calipers black, change the panel filter to a piper cross one. Also once the wheels get a bit tired i will get them refurbed in gunmetal as diamond cut wheel are a nightmare to keep. The main thing is keeping her clean lol which seems a lot easier so far than my black edition A3 lol

The GTD IMO doesn't need much changed as its a well sorted car straight from the factory.

Yea those diamond cut wheels are a nightmare, the winter has completely destroyed mine. Was about to pull the trigger on a new set of oz wheels last night but I just about stopped myself. And luckily I did as I found out today I need to replace my rear calipers which is going to set me back around £6 - £700. I'll just have to deal with the wheels a little longer. Was thinking gun metal myself!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

StevoM81

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK8 GTI
You are so right SRGTD diamond cut wheels for uk roads just don't work, i found a pic of here with the standard 18inch GTD wheels done in anthracite and they look really good and would work well with the my white GTD as it would give a good contrast. This is what i will do once they start to go.

StevoM81

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK8 GTI
I hate when things go wrong with the car when you are about to get something new for it danielmckendry always the way.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
You are so right SRGTD diamond cut wheels for uk roads just don't work, i found a pic of here with the standard 18inch GTD wheels done in anthracite and they look really good and would work well with the my white GTD as it would give a good contrast. This is what i will do once they start to go.

That gets my vote over the original diamond cut version; they look great and would look really good on a Pure White GTD.

Here's mine with it's anthracite VW Motorsport alloys;

StevoM81

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK8 GTI
That gets my vote over the original diamond cut version; they look great and would look really good on a Pure White GTD.

Here's mine with it's anthracite VW Motorsport alloys;

That looks great with those alloys on it and the colour of the rims is spot on with the blue its hard to beat anthracite alloys for the uk