GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS38 Wastegate Question

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
They are different. The rod on the IS20 is longer.
On my GTI I am running IS38 with a IS20 waist gate so you can get the one to work with the other.

Hmmm so they work with each other but are different? I guess that's good enough for me!

Does the Wastegate still need to be adjusted on vagcom if I reuse my is20 Wastegate vs a brand new one for the is38?

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Hmmm so they work with each other but are different? I guess that's good enough for me!

Does the Wastegate still need to be adjusted on vagcom if I reuse my is20 Wastegate vs a brand new one for the is38?

With the IS20 waistgate I didnt need to do adjustment but in my past experience with both you might need to loosen or tighten it some.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
With the IS20 waistgate I didnt need to do adjustment but in my past experience with both you might need to loosen or tighten it some.

Ok so just to confirm reusing old stock is20 Wastegate on new is38 turbo no need to adjust. Only need to adjust for brand new is38 and new is38 Wastegate got it!

Thanks for the help George amazing as always!

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Ok so just to confirm reusing old stock is20 Wastegate on new is38 turbo no need to adjust. Only need to adjust for brand new is38 and new is38 Wastegate got it!

Thanks for the help George amazing as always!

There is a small chance that either might need a adjustment. What we tell clients on our side is to drive the car stock. If they get waist gate stuck faults then they know they need to adjust further than the initial calibration done with the Vagcom.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Thanks again for all the great information George.

JTM65

Passed Driver's Ed
Just purchased an IS38 actuator to replace a failed IS20 unit and the rod seems to be appreciably longer on the IS38 actuator than the IS20 it is replacing.

JT

James At EQT

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 RS3 + AWD Mk6
They are interchangable, you may need to extend or shorten the rod. And if you remove the charge pressure actuator it will require calibration.
However, note that the factory went to the IS20 "Style" actuator in 2019+ so IS38 vehicles have the IS20 style actuator.

If you need an actuator we have them available on our site and our FAQ's go over how to calibrate. There is also a great article on IS38 style calibration on the forums main site by Jeff.

https://eqtuning.com/products/mqb-charge-pressure-actuators?_pos=1&_sid=239411a18&_ss=r

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
There is a specific voltage variance on the actuator for IS38 duty. My car was just fitted with an IS38 and although it came with an actuator already on it, the shop still checked the calibration on it for the proper voltage.