GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who is on Bilstein B8s?

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
So to update the H&R seem stiffer than the VWR under hard bumps but ride nice otherwise which is great. When I go over small bumps or transitions in the road the bump is way more isolated. What was a dramatic event with the VWRs are a non issue with the H&Rs.

Now, I am going to send my VWR springs back to Raceline to investigate because we think something is up with my VWR set.

As for the H&R OE Sports they are great for those who want some ground clearance.

rjtrout

Go Kart Newbie
I am glad that the OE Sports are working well for you. I drove an old Civic Si back in the day that had them installed and it was a very forgiving ride. I loved that car...lol

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
Glad to hear the H&R OE Sports worked out for ya! I'm curious if there was a defect with the VWRs or not. Nice job though and I'm glad you're enjoying the b8s now -- I know I highly recommend them.

njavier03

Ready to race!
So to update the H&R seem stiffer than the VWR under hard bumps but ride nice otherwise which is great. When I go over small bumps or transitions in the road the bump is way more isolated. What was a dramatic event with the VWRs are a non issue with the H&Rs.

Now, I am going to send my VWR springs back to Raceline to investigate because we think something is up with my VWR set.

As for the H&R OE Sports they are great for those who want some ground clearance.

I think you might have had a bad set of VWRs. I've had mine on since Saturday, and I'm still on stock shocks/struts. I live in the DC metro area, and our roads are crap. You can drive over 3-5 different types of pavement in a span of 10 miles. I haven't bottomed out (yet), and I hit a bunch of bumps on my daily commute. I think I'm going with the B8s too, since I feel uneasy using aftermarket springs on stock parts. The only complaint I have for the VWRs is that they're a bit bouncy. I'm glad you found the setup that you like OP

Brunomri

Last november I bought a set of DG springs and have been using it with stock shocks. However, I didn't like the handling as expected. They felt very soft and uncontrolled, it bounced more than desired after imperfections at highway speeds. It was definitely softer than it was with the stock springs.

So I bought the Bilstein B8 to correct the underdamped issue. In fact the car behaved much better after the installation. The car had good control and would not bounce as before. But, to be honest, it hadn't the sport feeling I was looking for. Some excessive softness and movement still were there. Also, the steering felt a bit unresponsive at high speed.

Finally, I decided to install the H&R Sport springs to use the Bilstein B8 potential. Now we are talking! The suspension feels harder, much more controlled. Minor body roll, dive and squat. The comfort still good, some harness on big bumps only, definitely worth the handling improvement. The steering now feels fast and precise.

The full story and some pictures are in this topic:

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32980

tissue

Passed Driver's Ed
After reading the whole thread, you guys made me little nervous. I recently ordered vwr springs for my R and i have brand new set of b8 laying on the floor ready to be installed after the springs arrive. Should i be worried? Ive read the springs for the R have different ratings so i hope it might be better than the gti ones...

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
After reading the whole thread, you guys made me little nervous. I recently ordered vwr springs for my R and i have brand new set of b8 laying on the floor ready to be installed after the springs arrive. Should i be worried? Ive read the springs for the R have different ratings so i hope it might be better than the gti ones...

You should be fine. My VWRs were fine for almost a year then all of a sudden the front drivers spring lost tension. They sell a ton of those springs you will be fine.

I will say the bumpstop on the B8s are much harder than the stops on factory struts so be prepared for a more violent experience on hard bumps.

king12sky

Ready to race!
Im running B16s but the spring rate on the front is a little soft for my liking. Other platform has seen successful results running Swift Springs with it. I might try pairing it with another spring to see if it work. Does anyone know if H&R or Eibach springs would fit? Sad thing is im still running the stock Camber Plates as B16 dont come with one. Its working good but i wish i could camber it in a bit for more clearance.

Brunomri

Im running B16s but the spring rate on the front is a little soft for my liking. Other platform has seen successful results running Swift Springs with it. I might try pairing it with another spring to see if it work. Does anyone know if H&R or Eibach springs would fit? Sad thing is im still running the stock Camber Plates as B16 dont come with one. Its working good but i wish i could camber it in a bit for more clearance.

I was running the B8 with DG Springs and it was too soft for my liking. So I changed to H&R Sport.

Unfornately I can't say about the B16, it might be very different from B8.

tissue

Passed Driver's Ed
So i finally installed the b8s and vwr springs combo. I like how the car sits now but im not sure about the ride quality. The rear feels too stiff and snappy. Bodyroll got reduced quite a bit but its still there. But i will give it a few weeks before i make the final judgement.

Used 2x4 method ive read here. Thank you guys ! saved me a lot of time.

Yes i installed the spring backwards. :eek: I sweared a lot when i noticed that. Glad the rear is so easy.

And how it sits now.

njavier03

Ready to race!
Looks good! I'm interested to see how you'll like them after they settle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisTSI

Ready to race!
So i finally installed the b8s and vwr springs combo. I like how the car sits now but im not sure about the ride quality. The rear feels too stiff and snappy. Bodyroll got reduced quite a bit but its still there. But i will give it a few weeks before i make the final judgement.

Used 2x4 method ive read here. Thank you guys ! saved me a lot of time.

Yes i installed the spring backwards. :eek: I sweared a lot when i noticed that. Glad the rear is so easy.

And how it sits now.
How do they ride? also anyone running b8 w/ vwrs mk7 golf 1.8?

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
I will be this year... hard to argue with a lifetime warranty. That and the fact that I already have the VWR springs makes me pick VWR/B8s over coilovers... excited to report on how it goes...

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I will be this year... hard to argue with a lifetime warranty. That and the fact that I already have the VWR springs makes me pick VWR/B8s over coilovers... excited to report on how it goes...

I highly preferr the H&R OE Sport with the B8 having had the VWR before.