GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What matters more: wheel & tire weight or overall diameter?

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
So the wheel weighing a bit more and resisting some can be desirable? I hadn't considered that.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Yes, that is why I ended up going with the EC Sport (set of 4 is 12lbs lighter than PSS in size 225/45R17!) since they are supposedly on par with the super sports. I do realize that I will lose some cornering sharpness over the PSS, however for me personally it will be more than made up for by the superior ride quality.

The PSS in 225/45-17 is 22lbs and the EC Sports are 21lbs in that same size according to tirerack.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Just go with the lightest set you can afford in the stock rolling diameter and add more HP...then you won't miss the added power from the gearing change

Win win

Sportwagen SEL

Ready to race!
Just go with the lightest set you can afford in the stock rolling diameter and add more HP...then you won't miss the added power from the gearing change

Win win

True, BUT i have to say that it is super fun seeing what our cars drive like with lower or higher gearing. I actually had slightly higher gearing for awhile when I ran a 245/40R18 size tire and while it did make the whole car feel more sluggish, it also got up to speed with less shifting!

On the other hand, I've also tried way lower gearing with 215/35R18's, and I have to say, if you haven't tried it, running our cars this way is a BLAST! It transformed my car, making it feel super responsive and quick, with incredible acceleration! Only downside was the rougher ride.

MrConflicted

Passed Driver's Ed
As a counter argument to this post, unless your a stock 1.8T, I'd really try to get as much tire under our cars as possible (assuming stock fenders). Obviously, less weight is key for many many reasons, but we have so much more issue with traction than overcoming rotational energy.

That being said, the math on the first post is well done, and for most case, a smaller diameter is preferential. Even if it's smaller but heavier, it likely has the same rotational energy as a lighter, larger wheel.

I'm moving form 235/45-17's to 235/40-17's for track, so I'll let you know how that goes :)