GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone run a tuned mk7 to 75k? Experiences?

erikweber321

Ready to race!
Curious to know if anyone's ran a tuned mk7 for around 75k miles and how their experience has been so far. I haven't tuned but I will be soon, interested in other's longevity as anecdotes

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

MikeyR44

Go Kart Newbie
Following this... I intend on keeping my 2017 GTI for 100k+ and if tuned, I wouldn't be on it all the time, but would feel better with more data supporting reliability. I'd probably go Unitronic stage 1+

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Following this... I intend on keeping my 2017 GTI for 100k+ and if tuned, I wouldn't be on it all the time, but would feel better with more data supporting reliability. I'd probably go Unitronic stage 1+

Uni is relatively conservative which might help reliability / longevity

* Knock on wood * - haven't seen many 2016 or 2017 with huge reliability problems

Last edited:

Lurchalicious

Ready to race!
I have a 2015 S GTI manual and I'm looking for the same information. I'm scared to death about the engine failures and possibly popping turbos (thanks forums). I would also like some feedback on modifying to a reliable level.

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
I have a 2015 S GTI manual and I'm looking for the same information. I'm scared to death about the engine failures and possibly popping turbos (thanks forums). I would also like some feedback on modifying to a reliable level.

2015 DSG, 46k on the odo. Most of those have been tuned.

Don't push stupid boost (ie 30psi peak to 25psi @ redline), change your oil regularly (ie 5k), and let the car warm up before hooning on it.

You'll be fine.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
...I'm scared to death about the engine failures and possibly popping turbos (thanks forums). I would also like some feedback on modifying to a reliable level.

Much is going to depend on how the car is driven.

If you keep your foot out of it, you won't be operating at high boost levels very often. The anecdotal evidence suggests that engine can sustain high-boost (above stock) excursions for infrequent, short periods of time likely to be experienced on the street or drag strip, premature turbo popping notwithstanding. However, I think it is safe to assume that the engine experiences increased wear and tear when operated outside of its design envelope. How much wear and tear is anybody's guess.

OTOH, tracking (e.g., HPDE) a car is a very different scenario. In this case, I'd be very concerned about the effect of a tune on reliability of sustained (20-30 minute) intervals at or near WOT. I think it is easy to imagine both mechanical and thermal stresses exceeding what the engine can sustain and still be considered reliable for many years. There doesn't seem to be much anecdotal evidence. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the Golf TCR power is equivalent to the Golf R, and while the TCR engines seem to be fairly reliable, they aren't bulletproof, and I'm guessing must be rebuilt somewhat frequently.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
2015 DSG, 46k on the odo. Most of those have been tuned.

Don't push stupid boost (ie 30psi peak to 25psi @ redline), change your oil regularly (ie 5k), and let the car warm up before hooning on it.

You'll be fine.

Like Jay mentioned

A lot of stories about turbos blowing don’t mentioning all the small details that could result in the turbo failing
For example : not warming up the car properly before going WOT, cool down after doing some aggressive driving, proper oil, supporting mods etc.

These small things add up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lamer123

Passed Driver's Ed
my mk7 is on 83000 km with stage 1 unitronic ECU tuned. 4 year old car, tuned it when its was 10k ODO.

no engine related problems, just make sure you do your maintenance accordingly.

the only problem the car gave me is the flue flap actuator failed to open, changed it for the 2nd time now

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
Not trashing your car as others have previously mentioned is very recommended. You can push 30 psi of boost peak and if you don't slam your foot down all the time you should be fine, but I wouldn't do it myself if that makes sense. Anything Stage II and under should be fine as long as you keep up the maintenance and take care of your car.

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
Not trashing your car as others have previously mentioned is very recommended. You can push 30 psi of boost peak and if you don't slam your foot down all the time you should be fine, but I wouldn't do it myself if that makes sense. Anything Stage II and under should be fine as long as you keep up the maintenance and take care of your car.
I wouldn't push 30psi unless you are stress testing the limits. I ran 27 peak on my stock turbo for 30k miles no problem. Kissed 30psi on my hybrid a few times and developed a problem.

Keep it reasonable and you'll be ok.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

erikweber321

Ready to race!
Here's a theoretical: what typically goes wrong when a turbo goes from a tune, and what's the worst case scenario?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
Typically the shaft breaks and your wheels go into the intercooler and/or exhaust. Best case, the compressor wheel and any little bits get stuck in the intercooler.

Worst case, little bits make it into your engine and fuck up the valves, cylinders, pistons, etc.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk