GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Talk me out of leaving VW

NickC

Ready to race!
NickC: which part of town did you move to? I’ve been here 13 years now and I could count on one hand the number of days I’ve seen where you had to have a specialty vehicle to drive during the winter. I realize getting out into oldham amd bullitt the roads can get worse, but I’m still not sure it nessecitates a new vehicle.

I have a friend who has the ecoboost (paid more than my GTI cost, had 60k miles already). It’s a nice vehicle. I wouldn’t personally want to DD it since it’s so big and you know how this city is with traffic and tight roads. But he doesn’t seem to mind it. He is a “truck guy” though.

For everyone suggesting a beater truck... it’s not a bad idea but understand prices are insane in this town due to demand. I’ve seen 200k mile trucks on Craigslist going for $20k. Tacoma’s are particularly rare, especially after the rusty frame buyback of the early 00 models. When I lived in the deep south, beater trucks were plentiful and you couldn’t throw a stone without hitting one in someone’s front yard with a for sale sign on it. Not in Louisville though. I’ve given up trying to find one.

Yes the beater truck market is insane here.

I just moved out to Mount Washington and this last little bit of ice we got filled my court. Couldn't get out of the driveway. Luckily I didn't have anywhere to be that day.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I have a 97 Honda Civic which serve a number of purposes, truck, snow car, dog car, mountain car, extra car when one is down for work, and general beater. Have old dogs and the step is low, I live at the foot of the Olympic mountains so love it for getting to the trail heads, have fit 16 foot boards in, but when it comes to refrigerators, etc.... well, isn't that what friends are for?

Rear wheel drive trucks are not the best in the snow. Renting a truck for a day or two is something to consider.

That all said, if you have to get a truck; get a truck. Personally, it would be a painful experience for me.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Taking everything you said into consideration, buy the used truck, but if you want the Ford at least buy a CPO or a good extended warranty.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
So I have been a VW guy for years, love my MK7. Recently purchased a house farther from work in a more rural area, and the roads can get bad in the winter. There have been many times that I have really needed a truck because things just don't quite fit in a hatch. Started looking at trucks, the F150 ecoboost really fits the bill but I can't afford to have an extra car payment, so it means trading the GTI in. The plan is and has been to eventually buy an aircooled VW or MK1 project to restore and go to shows.

Talk me out of trading in the MK7 GTI on an Ecoboost.

Anyone here own an EcoBoost? How do you like it? Would you daily it over your MK7?

I’d NEVER suggest an eco boost f150.

If you buy one the ONLY engine that makes sense is the 5.0

Eco boost gets terrible mileage if you drive more aggressively than a 108 year old women, and if you tow anything at all forget it. You’ll see single digit mpg.

I was about to pull the trigger on a aluminum f150 5.0 and backed out and got my gti. I already had a dodge Cummins at the time so I figured no point in having two trucks. Anyway my neighbor who drove me to the dealership that day ended up buying a 5.0 f150. He’s not particularly easy on it and gets 21mpg like clockwork, and even towing his beetle on a 4500# trailer it gets 18-19 mpg. It is 2wd tho so subtract 2-3 mpg for a 4x4

As for eco boost I’ve had several friends with them and they get 15mpg at best empty and 8-12 with a small trailer

Honestly tho if you can’t afford both new why not consider a cheaper truck for the days you need one and keep the gti as a daily?

FriskyDingo

Ready to race!
I mean, they are nice trucks, but no way could I justify trading a GTI for one to use what- a handful of times a year??

My suggestion would be what others have already said- keep the GTI, and buy an old truck for bad weather and work duties. I wouldn't be afraid of a 130-150K Tacoma. Great solid little trucks. Or a first gen Tundra would be a great buy. Just depending on how much you could spend if you keep the GTI.

NickC

Ready to race!
Weighed all the options and found a killer deal. I'm happy, I'm sure I'll miss the GTI sometimes but I miss my MK2 as well. Now to look for a MK1 project.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

NickC

Ready to race!
Don't be a holes. This is seriously a VW guy problem. Why is it so hard to understand someone being happy even though they didn't do what you would have done. My next VW will be a MK1 or air-cooled. That's what's gonna be in the garage.

racerxxx

Ready to race!
Congrats on the new truck. Glad you found what YOU wanted. Tough call on the new project. I'd lean towards the air cooled. Seems we share the VW/Ford bond. Must be the white and blue colors.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Shoulda traded me wheels before trading it in lol

Congrats on the truck, no a holes here just giving our 0.02 since you asked.

First things I’d do now is get a trifold bed cover (cheap and quality on autoanything) and remove the plastic chin spoiler thing they clip on under them bumper for no reason. Looks so much better w/o it

NickC

Ready to race!
Thanks all. I thoroughly love it so far. It was a hard decision, but thisade more sense in the long run. I picked this up for a steal, $29k out the door CPO with 7 year/100k bumper to bumper warranty.

The MK7 AC decided to quit for the trade in evaluation, figures from a VW right.

Also the truck barely fits in my garage.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
The MK7 AC decided to quit for the trade in evaluation, figures from a VW right.

You mean they unplugged the fuse to get the trade in lowered :D