GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

18Z calipers on the mk7.5 R

eunhak

Passed Driver's Ed
Can anyone confirm if these calipers will bolt up to the mk7.5 Golf R..

reason i'm asking is I have a set in my garage, and would like to use them

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Can anyone confirm if these calipers will bolt up to the mk7.5 Golf R..

reason i'm asking is I have a set in my garage, and would like to use them

They can be made to work. The mounting tab on the caliper needs to be milled down. You will also have to mill/file down the mounting area on the knuckles.

madface1

Go Kart Newbie
Maybe try shooting an email to Rotor Lab, they seem to specialize in fitting 17z/18z calipers on VWs and Audis.

rotorlab.com

italynstylion

Ready to race!
I just pulled one of my wheels this morning to confirm which knuckles are on my Golf R. Sure enough, they are the thicker aluminum ones.

Here's a picture of the mounting tabs. Red and blue arrows indicate the mounting tab (see how thick it is). I sent Ron at rotorlab an email this morning to figure out which side (red or blue side) is needing to be machined down. And the second question is, which side does the 17/18Z caliper mount to; red or blue?? As you can see in green, the stock Golf R caliper mounts to the BLUE side. Second picture shows the back side of the mounting tab where the bolt head resides.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
If you're going this route, you might consider buying and modifying CSS swivels. They will provide you additional negative camber for better handling. This way, you can get the swivel modified and then bolt everything on the car at the same time--no downtime while your swivel is at the machine shop.

eunhak

Passed Driver's Ed
I found the solution.. you can shave down the spindle of the mk7.5 or go the route i did and order mk6 spindle and bearings, from there it should be direct bolts on..

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Did you have to install spacers or they fit with stock wheel setup.
Also, how much clearance did you have with 19's

eunhak

Passed Driver's Ed
currently i have the winter 18" wheels on, and they need the 10mm spacer.. i will install the 19" wheels this week, and let you know

eunhak

Passed Driver's Ed
you have to either machine down your current spindle or switch spindles completely...

Parts you will need if switching spindles:

mk6 spindles
mk6 wheel bearings
mk6 ABS sensors

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
you have to either machine down your current spindle or switch spindles completely...

Parts you will need if switching spindles:

mk6 spindles
mk6 wheel bearings
mk6 ABS sensors

You wouldn't happen to still have those part numbers? Does the ABS sensor plug right into the existing system? Seems like not too bad of an option. How did you figure out you only needed the spindles, wheel bearings and ABS sensors?

Oh also does that change the wheel offset in the front?

By spindle do you mean hub?

Oh you mean knuckles.. like

Thanks

Last edited: