GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rust protection for a new GTI

greatsouls

I am thinking to apply some additional rust protection to my new GTI. I do not want to void the VW warranty (definitely no drilling holes). I called a few VW dealers here in Montreal and got different answers regarding applying additional rust protection. I also called WV Canada. I did not get definitive answer, however, the Customer Service representative summed it up as "if the rust protection is not the reason for a failure there should not be a problem and VW should honer the warranty". No drilling of any holes of course:)

So, what is your take on that? Are you guys using additional rust protection ?
If yes, have you had a problem with VW honouring the warranty ?

I know, I know this had been discussed many times, however, most of the posts are at least few years old.
I drive my car mostly for pleasure, with very little mileage per year, plan to keep it longer than 5 years and would like to protect it from rust as much as I can and not to wait to see a hole rust through to have VW warranty kicks in.

On my former car (Camry 2010) I used Dura Tech in Pierrefonds every year and when I sold the car few months ago she had virtually no rust. Looked like new.
Have someone used Dure Tech in Montreal on a VW? Just need no make sur it will not negatively affect the rust protection VW use.

I am not trying to say the rust proof on the VW is not good. Just with all the salt and "gravel" Montreal's winter routs see I am not sure how long it will stay intact. And there is no option to inspect / repair it if necessary.

Anyway, I am open for and will appreciate all your suggestions.
(Sorry for the long intro ?)

Van Wilder

I have a 2003 Jetta; never had additional rust protection and my paint is still looking good.

I'm waxing the car 2 times a year.

The original warranty was 12 years for the rust.

I'm living in Montreal area.

greatsouls

I have a 2003 Jetta; never had additional rust protection and my paint is still looking good.

I'm waxing the car 2 times a year.

The original warranty was 12 years for the rust.

I'm living in Montreal area.

Thanks for replying, Van Wilder.
That sounds quite reassuring, although I see mixed statements over different forums.
Where do you wax the car in Montreal? I was thinking to use http://www.eleganceautodetailing.com and their Bronze package for winter preparation, however, all is booked until the end of the year.

SRoads

Ready to race!
The steel suspension components will turn to dust before the vehicle body rusts as long as you get the paint intact.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
You don't need to rust protect them, gone are the days when they use cheap steel.

greatsouls

Thank you all for the comments.
I have to admit I am a bit surprised after reading posts in other forums, mainly by people who live in the salt belt, about their VW getting rust after just a few years.
I think Montreal roads are no different (if not worst) in the winter.

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
Thank you all for the comments.
I have to admit I am a bit surprised after reading posts in other forums, mainly by people who live in the salt belt, about their VW getting rust after just a few years.
I think Montreal roads are no different (if not worst) in the winter.

Salt on roads - add some protection. The guys who say it's not a problem any more - sorry to say but I don't agree...:). See below.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=506581&postcount=20

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=506837&postcount=24

/Peter

Last edited:

Rogi

My 2008 Rabbit never needed it (traded her in this year), I think its a good idea if you can spare the money and you use and abuse the vehicle but if you take care of the car (like most VW owners do) I wouldn't invest in the rust protection.