GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS38 - Any Regrets or Unresolved Issues?

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
For those GTI owners who have replaced the IS20 with an IS38 . . . . .

1. Was it worth it, or do you wish you'd stayed with the IS20?
2. If you track your car at a road course type of track, are your oil or water temps higher, or can your car still manage them o.k.?
3. Is the exhaust note different? IF yes, please describe the difference you hear.
4. Do you have drone where you didn't before?
5. Is throttle modulation around town or on the track any easier? (IS20 can be peaky).
6. Other observations, warnings, or advice?

I understand there are other options available.
I'm considering IS38 because of any power increase option, it's the least costly of the options I'm aware of.
And, I'm still on the fence about whether to even do it, as I'm pleased with the stage 2 setup I have now.
Nevertheless, I'm curious. I haven't yet had the chance to ride in, let alone drive, an MK7 GTI with the IS38 setup.

Thanks for any info you can share.

dre1615

Ready to race!
1) totally worth it. Transforms the car
2) can't comment
3) I didn't notice a difference but I assume it's slightly louder
4)no
5) IMO the IS38 power delivery is much more manageable in every situation with the linear torque. Throttle modulation is easier cuz it doesn't just spike like the is20. I think it's easier to drive honestly.
6) no negative feedback here. Although I only have about 2k miles on my setup.

teemmy

Ready to race!
1. It can be expensive if you're going to do it right - IC, turbo, DP and tune - I don't know if I would go back to the IS20
2. I haven't been out to the track with my is38 but I did go out with my is20. I'll find out in another month :)
3. The exhaust was a bit louder and since you have a DP it will be noticeable - maybe a little more "airy?"
4. There was additional drone - I used the vibrant resonator gtijake recommended and it solved the issue
5. You'll have a lot more power up top, won't be as jumpy as the is20 in the lower RPMs, but I do miss that lower RPM kick driving around town.
6. The power up top for the IS38 is pretty fantastic but you'll want to run stickier and wider tires. I have stickier 235s (extremecontact sports) and I still can't put the power down fully in 2nd. The car will pull like crazy in 3rd and 4th. The only downside that I can think of is that it's almost too much power for normal day to day driving. I think a FBO is20 with a proper tune is already a really sweet set up.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Only regret is not doing it sooner :)

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
1. It can be expensive if you're going to do it right - IC, turbo, DP and tune - I don't know if I would go back to the IS20

Well, isn't it just the additional cost of the turbo when compared to stage 2? Still need the DP, IC, and tune for both.

Alao, thanks for the honest insight, really lays out the pros and cons well.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Yeah really the only cost is getting the turbo unit itself, and like $30 for the gaskets and O rings. a JB4, IC DP etc are all mods one would do anyways on any golf or GTI theoretically.

bjarvis6336

Passed Driver's Ed
1. Absolutely 110% the best modification I've done
2. I just roll race a lot, oil temps are the same but a upgraded intercooler is a must have.
3. Exhaust note is a lot more throaty sounding
4. Nope I only have a catless downpipe no droan, but it sounds fantastic under load and at WOT
5. The car is a lot more smooth to drive around town, you don't have that 2500rpm torque that the IS20 had. Still plenty responsive.
6. If you're 6MT you'll need a clutch. Make sure your bank account can afford all of the bolt ons and tune required.

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks guys; good info.
I have most of the ancillary equipment already in place: upgraded intercooler, downpipe, TCU tune, ECU tune (would use an IS38 specific ECU tune with the turbo change).

teemmy, I look forward to your review after you track with the IS38.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Thanks guys; good info.
I have most of the ancillary equipment already in place: upgraded intercooler, downpipe, TCU tune, ECU tune (would use an IS38 specific ECU tune with the turbo change).

teemmy, I look forward to your review after you track with the IS38.

I'm in the same boat right now...I have all the supporting stuff, cost would be the turbo and the tune.

Really on the fence about it...but it would be nice to push the car to the next level.

I'm just not quite done with the IS20 yet. Need to run 12s on all seasons first.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
5. You'll have a lot more power up top, won't be as jumpy as the is20 in the lower RPMs, but I do miss that lower RPM kick driving around town.

That is my biggest concern going bigger than is38. No torque until 4K rpms. I love the big block like torque right at 2k rpms on is20.

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
ive had mine done for about 1k miles and never a dull moment in it...i daily it so i cant complain too much...except gas...doesnt like me as much idk whether thats bc im more heavy footed or what not..plus i may have an exhaust leak possibly but besides that...worth it...went from stage 2 uni FBO to is38 APR full bolt ons and its night and day

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
I would do it again and again and again and again and again.....even that it took me 2 days!!!