GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front mount intercooler options.

nate704

Go Kart Champion
Yeah that’s what I’m thinking but I rather have a better intercooler and run the stock radiatior than get a sub par intercooler just bc I plan on switching the radiator. I haven’t seen anyone running an upgraded radiator either so I doubt it’s that important. Just something I would “like” to do since I’ve done it in my last 3 cars and it always helped in the rush hour traffic of nyc. Basically my point is, the three intercooler I’m looking at are all $900-$1000 and I would like to get the best one and not have to worry about changing out anything later. Honestly my goals for the car aren’t that ambitious so any would work but if they’re all the same price might as well get the better one and be done with it no? I just got a quote back for the IE intercooler for $829 so that’s quite tempting. I would love to hear about the forge and more specifically, the Wagner before making a decision. The only info I’ve found on those two intercooler was pertaining to the n54 bmw engine and whatever each respective manufacture had published in their website.

100% agree with this.
It take a lot of time and effort (for most people) to install the IC (if you do it yourself), and I definitely do not want to do it again (it is not hard, but just takes time).
I got my IE IC during the labor day sale for $809 shipped, so you might want to wait for upcoming sales. There are some parts that I don't want to cheap out, such as DP, CBE, IC, Tire, Brakes, and Fuel.

pieguy

Ready to race!
Yes, IE did $809 for the IC direct from their website for labor day. I think they were backordered a while by the end of the sale though. I'm sure Modded Euros would price match that, but they don't seem to stock it currently.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I picked up a Forge twintercooler on Black Friday. It sucks that I have the dealer mounted front license plate. Would like to be able see more of the IC and in addition not have it obstructed. However, I'm also not keen on mounting the license plate on the side and I think bumper plugs are unsightly. I'm torn on this. Should I even care?

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I picked up a Forge twintercooler on Black Friday. It sucks that I have the dealer mounted front license plate. Would like to be able see more of the IC and in addition not have it obstructed. However, I'm also not keen on mounting the license plate on the side and I think bumper plugs are unsightly. I'm torn on this. Should I even care?

No. Enjoy the low IATs.

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport

Nice! I like the Twintercooler FMIC option. It is either this or the Neuspeed IS38 FMIC for me next spring. Let us know your impressions after you get some miles on it.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Yeah I guess I should make peace with the front license plate. Will give you my thoughts after installing.

Hexxum001

Ready to race!
Yeah I guess I should make peace with the front license plate. Will give you my thoughts after installing.
I'm also in Cali like you and had a front license plate. Mine literally covered almost half of the opening of my front bumper. I ended up just getting one of the tow hook adapters. It's not that bad. You get used to it after a while. On the plus side, there is no more restriction of air getting into your IC from the front license plate and you can also see it much better as well.

tmbzip

Ready to race!
Have you guys noticed any difference in AC effectiveness with the front mount on? Seen posts stating it would be effected but not much user feedback.

siupo128

Ready to race!
I'm also in Cali like you and had a front license plate. Mine literally covered almost half of the opening of my front bumper. I ended up just getting one of the tow hook adapters. It's not that bad. You get used to it after a while. On the plus side, there is no more restriction of air getting into your IC from the front license plate and you can also see it much better as well.

what did u use to cover the license plate holes?

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Can anyone explain why an aftermarket IC (without CARB sticker) is illegal in CA? I don't see the logic in that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk