GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Talk me in or out of a JB4 unit for an IS20 swap.

BoomGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
One more thing if e85 blend is too high that can be a fuel pump triggering light. E85 takes more pump to flow, 27psi and high blend will cause it. Down the blend to 2 gal e85. Log and try again. Your trims are low.

Found the issue to that noise. It was the dv. Swapped it out and it's all good now. I'm gonna try like you said with a little less e85 and up it some more.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
YMMV = your mileage may vary? ,if it is true, I don't understand your answer about the CEL. Do you mean you don't get the CEL but for someone does this method, he/she could get CEL?

I meant how your car smells and how sensitive you are to it is subjective. I personally haven't noticed a smell or change since changing my downpipe and I know that gross no cat smell from older dirty running vehicles. CEL is also one of those magic in the ether things.. I got a CEL but fixed it with a spacer

BoomGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
E85 is never bad unless you put in too much. 3 gallons to top off a full tank of premium is what you target.

That's what I was doing which leads me to think that my issues were mostly with the dv...I guess the new plugs and coils I already ordered will only help now? I know I've said this before...but I really don't think I want to push it much more...[emoji23]

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
So either the bad Dv was the issue or the e85.. because my latest log looks better with no e85 at all. This is just 93.

http://datazap.me/u/andrew-boom/log-1505769634?log=0&data=1-4

Your timing is taking a big hit. Go back and look at your map 4. you were advancing to 13 degrees on the one log where you were just adding 1 psi and now you are 7-8. The e85 will help get that back, But I think on 93 octane, the APR tune is maxed out.

ketoi12345678

Ready to race!
Fixed the links, they were set to private, sorry about that. George came up with the values from about a dozen or so logs, you kind of freaked me out so I flipped to map 4, haha. This is our daily and only car, I rarely, if ever, push it past 5k. If you have a few minutes, let me know what you think about the logs. Will look for the is20 thread.

You need to log from 2500rpm to redline in 3rd gear. In your logs, you were in 3rd gear but they were from 4500rpm so you don't know what happened below 4500rpm. But nice IAT (93 degrees):eek:, at 5300rpm you lost 2 degrees in timing in both logs, so you may want to lower the boost by 0.5.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
IS38WAGON is the one who built the wagon. Mine is an is20 fwd, bigbearbut is getting ready to go either is20 or is38. That being said. You need to log from below 3,000. Like 2,500 all the way through third. When you press the pedal down, you can feel the kick down at the bottom. Press right to it and don't press hard enough to make it kick down. It will still be 100%. My concern about your settings is a that the is12 will not make more than 16-17 psi efficiently on the stock downpipe and 93. It also does not like boost to continue to increase past 4,000. Your just making hot air and losing timing at that point. Look at where your timing drops to 5 at around 4,400 it should keep going up st that point. You should be able to hit 16-17 degrees or better at 6,400. 2-3 gallons of e85 will allow you to go higher, but again, peak at 4,000 and then taper

Last edited:

BoomGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
I think I know you from one of the FB groups, are you the one who essentially built an R wagon and posted some very impressive track times or is that TwinDad above?

Are you James? I’m the one you were messaging on FB a while ago. My wagon is doing some decent times, but chuck’s (is38wagon) still has the best time!

Last edited: