GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil temperatures - Can I control them better?

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
Additionally, the thermostat controls the temperature in ways we can't control, really.

If you get an oil pan with dramatically improved cooling, it's just going to stay closed longer as the oil takes longer to heat up. But once it opens, up the coolant flow is whats going to dramatically cool the engine. It shoots for at least 212 degrees to boil off any water, and usually won't open back up until 225ish.

Where the big, finned pans excell is on a track when oil temperatures can get up above 250. This gives the engine another small cooling bump, taking some of the load off of the coolant system.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
Again, I promise you that alu pan won't lower oil temp down to 157°F/69°C. ;)
Actually they claim to lower oil temp by "8 to 15° C", though even this is hard
to believe. That said, oil temps lower that 100°C aren't even desirable. You'd
want both water and fuel to boil out on your daily commutes.

Additionally, the thermostat controls the temperature in ways we can't control, really.

If you get an oil pan with dramatically improved cooling, it's just going to stay closed longer as the oil takes longer to heat up. But once it opens, up the coolant flow is whats going to dramatically cool the engine. It shoots for at least 212 degrees to boil off any water, and usually won't open back up until 225ish.

Where the big, finned pans excel is on a track when oil temperatures can get up above 250. This gives the engine another small cooling bump, taking some of the load off of the coolant system.

Agreed with both comments.

I have the Wortec pan.
Around town, I see no change in the eventual top oil temp of 217 to 221 F (102 to 105 C). Maybe it takes a bit longer to get there, but I really don't know that to be the case.
At the track, I'm seeing about 5 to 7 F decrease in top oil temps. 262 vs 268 F, or 258 vs 265 F, for example. The other thing I see at the track is that the recovery back down to 217 F or so is a bit quicker than before.