GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Phone position for app-connect

Jargy

Probably the biggest frustration I have with my golf is getting the best position for my phone. The considerations I want to address are:

1. I've got app-connect, so have to power it from the USB in the front storage space.
2. I want to be able to close the cubby hole door to keep the lines clean.
3. I don't need to be able to see my phone screen whilst driving, but I'd still like it accessible.
4. I don't want hanging cables.

Basically, I want the cleanest lines possible. I admit it, I'm a neat freak. How have others got their phones connected/positioned?

PaulL1

Have you tried a 90° phone connection plug? I'm sure that's not the best way to describe it but depending on the size of your phone it might work and thus let you close the cubby hole lid.
Regards,
Paul.

Jargy

Hi Paul, thanks for response. Unfortunately the Samsung S8+ in a case is too big to close the door even before you plug any kind of charger in.

I'm currently thinking I will put a 90 deg. charger in and then divert the cable straight down and bring the cable up wherever I want the phone. I've tried looking at how I could remove the cubby hole to do this, but struggling.

Dammit, trying to give pictures of what I mean, but can't figure out how to attach pics - I'm a newbie to this and can't work out how to attach a pic bigger than a postage stamp.

PaulL1

I had trouble with pic's at first. If you can download an app to make your pics smaller (under 1200 X 800 I think) you'll be able to post them no problem.

Jargy

The angled mount looks good, but I'm concerned how the holder would work if my phone has a case. It looks like I could put a magnet on it though. I especially like the fact it's a solid fitting but still removable.
I'm thinking of diverting the cable something like this:

I'd then ideally want to position my phone more discretely, say here:

I am thinking I could hook a holder into the fascia and bring the cable up below it. When the phone is plugged in to android auto the screen goes blank so I don't need to see it anyway, just have it accessible.

Has anyone done anything similar?
Thoughts?