GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

$155 to Diagnose a Warranty Issue?

BTDUBS

The Interceptor
Car(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Hey guys, kinda new to the forum. So my local VW dealer is trying to charge me $155 to diagnose a warranty issue with with MDI cable since it just stops functioning. I think this is total BS and was wondering if anyone else has had a dealer try and pull this trick.

Also, how much are people paying for the 30,000 mile service? My quote was around $270.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Hey guys, kinda new to the forum. So my local VW dealer is trying to charge me $155 to diagnose a warranty issue with with MDI cable since it just stops functioning. I think this is total BS and was wondering if anyone else has had a dealer try and pull this trick.

Also, how much are people paying for the 30,000 mile service? My quote was around $270.

It's a diagnoses fee, which some dealers charge.

If the thing is fixed there out of warranty or in warranty they will waive the fee.

Say if you come in and say "My MDI Cable isn't working, fix it under warranty." Then the dealer finds out your 6 year old jammed a screwdriver in the MDI Plug and broke it. The $155 covers their diagnoses time in case you balk at the repair.

On the 30k service... what is included? Isn't that just a oil change and fluid/pad check?

BTDUBS

The Interceptor
Car(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Well, I am going to show the advisor that the MDI cable and port are perfect and that it just cuts out when moved, they have had to replace the cable several times for the same issue. The shift knob has the silver material cracking off so I will get that replaced under warranty as well.

The 30k is just fluid, rotation, and several visual inspections. 034 is going to do that instead for around $200. In the Bay Area that is quite inexpensive. Capitol VW tried to tell me my DSG is due for service, I hung up on them.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
I've had a dealer try to charge me a diagnostic fee for moldy AC smell with the car only few months old but I never paid it. I also had another one have me consent to a diagnostic charge IF the issues I am bringing the car in for is a result of damage caused by me. So I would just ask the dealer the terms of their fee.

BTDUBS

The Interceptor
Car(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Just as a quick update, the woman who quoted the diagnostic fee was full of it. Dealer took care of me and finally found the "shift into P" error. Fixed the shifter.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Just as a quick update, the woman who quoted the diagnostic fee was full of it. Dealer took care of me and finally found the "shift into P" error. Fixed the shifter.

Also have this error and need to get it looked at. Took me days of GoPro shooting to catch it on the screen. As mentioned above, my dealer will warn me that if it's not covered under warranty, there will be a diagnostic fee, but that hasn't actually happened yet.