GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chicagoland Chat Thread

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
Has anyone here ever installed the Helix subwoofer?

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
With a $10 terminal tool, it's pretty simple if you watch the DIY videos

Routing the harness (under the trim) is the only tricky part

Thanks, yeah I watched a video. I'm more nervous about the part when you get to the glove box and start messing with the terminals.

DanJoy

Ready to race!
I'm doing a suspension install this sunday for another mk7 local. I wonder if the strut mounts design was improved over the mk6. A lot of the mk5/mk6 strut mounts get stripped and you have to cut them out. We'll find out!

When removing the top nut on the strut? I had no issues, but the car also had about 1000 miles on it.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I'm doing a suspension install this sunday for another mk7 local. I wonder if the strut mounts design was improved over the mk6. A lot of the mk5/mk6 strut mounts get stripped and you have to cut them out. We'll find out!

The mounts are different shaped (they're angled), but still of the same design.
They actually use the same mount bolts still, lol. But on a newer MK7, shouldn't be an issue. I always put anti-seize on them when I reinstall the bolts along with the swaybar endlink threads, for the future.
And then they added a rubber isolator to the base of the strut (seat)

The strut bearing only installs one way (there is a notch on the mount to line it up with)....so make sure that stays the same.
Outside of that....just use the 2x4 method to remove the strut and it's like a MK5/MK6 still

The rears are a little trickier though, since now 3 bolts go thru each LCA....instead of just the 1 on the MK5/MK6

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
The mounts are different shaped (they're angled), but still of the same design.
They actually use the same mount bolts still, lol. But on a newer MK7, shouldn't be an issue. I always put anti-seize on them when I reinstall the bolts along with the swaybar endlink threads, for the future.
And then they added a rubber isolator to the base of the strut (seat)

The strut bearing only installs one way (there is a notch on the mount to line it up with)....so make sure that stays the same.
Outside of that....just use the 2x4 method to remove the strut and it's like a MK5/MK6 still

The rears are a little trickier though, since now 3 bolts go thru each LCA....instead of just the 1 on the MK5/MK6
Heh I'm not worried about it. Have done a ton of suspension jobs for locals over the years. Sometimes the nutsert just strips out and spins inside of the strut mount. I dont expect to see any issue from a newer mk7.