GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis - Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GOLFMK7. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GOLFMK7 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK7 so we can keep this place running!

Old 05-19-2017, 08:58 AM   #18
Tamer

Drives: Golf R / Golf GTI / Ford Raptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyfek View Post
Black GTI in UAE. They call it hot hatch for reason
Hesitated a lot as it is very duty here in Dubai. But couldn't resist the temptation 😊😊😊

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Tamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:25 PM   #19
2Germans

Drives: 2016 BMW M4 & 2016 VW GTI
^^ I think they look great!!
Old 05-19-2017, 02:04 PM   #20
Jose_Gti

Drives: Golf GTI MK7
They look great! Black on black is a personal preference (ask Batman for example).
19"??
What are your first impressions on them? Increase noise?
Black MT MK7 GTI APR INTAKE, APR stage II high output + APR Down Pipe. Denso IKH24 Iridium plugs. 034 Dogbone. APR short shifter full system. ECS Clutch Bleeder Block. Billy Boat Resonator. TTRS Clutch kit.
Jose_Gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:39 PM   #21
Sandman GTI

Drives: GTI MK7 Autobahn, PP, DCC+LP, 97 F-150 4.6L V8
Wheels/Tires

Tamer,

Not hating on the wheels. I like OZ as they make a good wheel. I have a set of Leggera's. But I am concerned about the increased weight.
I am not an expert but from my research and experience so far with the GTI, I would worry about the increased weight you added to each wheel.
The added weight can and likely will accelerate the wear process on the car. Items such as Lower Control Arms, Wheel Bearings, Shocks, etc will likely have issues much fast, and likely break should you impact a large enough hole or road joint. You have almost 10 more pounds of weight rotating and having to be held in place and controlled.

It is your car and choice and you will be one to deal with it.
I get the impression you are ok with this from more pictures being posted.

So, this was just for help, if wanted.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:15 PM   #22
Tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman GTI View Post
Tamer,

Not hating on the wheels. I like OZ as they make a good wheel. I have a set of Leggera's. But I am concerned about the increased weight.
I am not an expert but from my research and experience so far with the GTI, I would worry about the increased weight you added to each wheel.
The added weight can and likely will accelerate the wear process on the car. Items such as Lower Control Arms, Wheel Bearings, Shocks, etc will likely have issues much fast, and likely break should you impact a large enough hole or road joint. You have almost 10 more pounds of weight rotating and having to be held in place and controlled.

It is your car and choice and you will be one to deal with it.
I get the impression you are ok with this from more pictures being posted.

So, this was just for help, if wanted.
Sandman thanks for ur strong support and advice.

What do u suggest?

Are there any parts that I better change to match the newly added weight?!

Old 05-19-2017, 03:40 PM   #23
GLoBaLReBeL

Drives: 2016 Golf GTI
Side note . . . I WANT THAT WING!!!! That looks super clean!
Old 05-19-2017, 04:50 PM   #24
Tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLoBaLReBeL View Post
Side note . . . I WANT THAT WING!!!! That looks super clean!
believe or not I called VW to ask for removal of that wing. I couldn't stand it in the first few days but then it grew on me and I now love it. BTW this is an Oettinger spoiler that vw installed at their workshop.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:51 PM   #25
Tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamer View Post

What do u suggest?

I guess I should have asked!!!!! Or at least followed ur advice and waited until I'm more aware!!!!!!

Old 05-19-2017, 07:53 PM   #26
Sandman GTI

Drives: GTI MK7 Autobahn, PP, DCC+LP, 97 F-150 4.6L V8
Quote:

What do u suggest?

That is the hard part. The wheel and tire package make up most of the weight in this area and to off set it is not really possible. Also the tire/wheel occupies the most critical location that heavy weight can affect a car. Think about the change. Lets say the OE wheel/tire package at each corners weighs 55lbs. My summer tire/wheel in comparison is 50lbs. Your new OZ package weighs 65lbs. This extra weight is not spinning and bumping up and down every where you go. There are some suspension items that can be installed to reduce weight of the vehicle but they are not located in this critical tire area. Picture at bottom is a light weight Lower Control Arm - example. 44% lighter than stock arm.

There are not many options other than picking a new wheel that makes the wheel/tire package at least closer to OE weight. Are there no other wheels similar that you like? In the USA we can search by wheel weight on "Tire Rack" web site for options available. Sorry to bring this up, I know new wheels if a fun experience.

Name:  IMG_3460.JPG
Views: 100
Size:  84.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3459.JPG
Views: 100
Size:  109.5 KB
Old 05-19-2017, 08:16 PM   #27
Tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman GTI View Post
That is the hard part. The wheel and tire package make up most of the weight in this area and to off set it is not really possible. Also the tire/wheel occupies the most critical location that heavy weight can affect a car. Think about the change. Lets say the OE wheel/tire package at each corners weighs 55lbs. My summer tire/wheel in comparison is 50lbs. Your new OZ package weighs 65lbs. This extra weight is not spinning and bumping up and down every where you go. There are some suspension items that can be installed to reduce weight of the vehicle but they are not located in this critical tire area. Picture at bottom is a light weight Lower Control Arm - example. 44% lighter than stock arm.

There are not many options other than picking a new wheel that makes the wheel/tire package at least closer to OE weight. Are there no other wheels similar that you like? In the USA we can search by wheel weight on "Tire Rack" web site for options available. Sorry to bring this up, I know new wheels if a fun experience.

Attachment 15933

Attachment 15934
I hate to be so demanding Sandman. Can u please tell me the weight I should look for??? Wheels only and in 19 inches as I don't want to go back to 18.

I have seen a really nice wheel on oettinger website but I failed to get to know it's weight!!!

I can use current ones for couple of months until then?!

Old 05-19-2017, 08:21 PM   #28
zimmie2652

Drives: 2015 GTI S
Quote:
I got rid of the old ones because they looked to me like bicycle wheels

Hahaha! See to each their own! I'm assuming you had the Belvedere's that were mentioned above then? Was thinking you might've had the Brescia ones. Those are the ones I was talking about. Either way, it's your whip man, if you're happy, who cares what anyone else thinks. cheers!

Oh, and that pic at the pump, makes em look much better to me, fwiw.

Future: is38, wheels & tires, coils/springs (undecided)
zimmie2652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:29 PM   #29
toledospeed

Drives: 2015 Golf Sport
Quote:
Can u please tell me the weight I should look for???
Here is the stickied "lightweight wheels" thread that will give you a good idea on what weights to look for if you go with 19's:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3424
Old 05-19-2017, 08:32 PM   #30
scrapin240

Drives: '16 Town & Country, '15 F30 335xi, '17 GTI Sport
looks hot. at the end of the day, you'll probably enjoy driving it more even with the performance consequences, so whatever makes you happy.

Like personally I think those on air bags and "stancing" need to get their head checked, but they like that stuff so more power to them.
scrapin240 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:40 PM   #31
Gogo GTI

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport DSG
Wheels looks great on your car. Much better looking than the fugly Brescia's. Looks too much like a flower to me. But to each his own.

That being said, for a Clubsport, I would opt for performance over looks as my #1 criteria. Definitely get lighter wheels.
Gogo GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:29 PM   #32
Tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Germans View Post
^^ I think they look great!!
We think alike

Old 05-19-2017, 09:32 PM   #33
Tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_Gti View Post
They look great! Black on black is a personal preference (ask Batman for example).
19"??
What are your first impressions on them? Increase noise?
Not at all; moreover I was expecting a harsher ride buy actually if not the same ride I had on the 18" I would go far and say that those 19" with the Michelin SS feel smoother on the road!!!! Roads here in Dubai are the best in the world (no exaggerartion!); over minor bumps or on a bridge with metal flanks between bridge partitions the car feels much more solid and stronger.
I'm only anxious because of what i didn't consider which the overweight compared to stock.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:34 PM   #34
Tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledospeed View Post
Here is the stickied "lightweight wheels" thread that will give you a good idea on what weights to look for if you go with 19's:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3424
Thanks mate