GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Golf R Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 05-18-2017, 12:48 PM   #1
rllu

Drives: 2016 Golf R
APR low torque file and DSG

There are a few threads on this topic with statements as 'any tune can potentially cause DSG slip' but not too many objective posts.

I was just wondering how many of you are actually having issues. Please post which tune you have and at what miles after getting tuned did you begin to experience problems. If you are 6MT please specify. Thanks!
rllu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:59 PM   #2
tonipepperoni77

Drives: 2016 Golf R , '12 z4
You won't notice it on low TorQue or stage 1 the only chance of it happening is when you are the stage two high torque level and even still. But that's why they have tcu tunes to help with it. Our clutch packs in the dsg are rated for about 400 foot pounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tonipepperoni77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:39 PM   #3
biglilsteve

Drives: 2017 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonipepperoni77 View Post
You won't notice it on low TorQue or stage 1 the only chance of it happening is when you are the stage two high torque level and even still. But that's why they have tcu tunes to help with it. Our clutch packs in the dsg are rated for about 400 foot pounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Really? I've heard higher numbers than 400. I hope they are higher than 400 since supposedly my stage 2 HT does 409.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
biglilsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:53 PM   #4
Chronic

Drives: 2016 GOLF R DSG PURE WHITE
DSG holds the power even at stage 2 levels with no issues at all,now manual that's a whole new problem stock clutch is garbage
CTS Catless Downpipe,CTS Cold Air Intake,CTS TMD,CTS TIP,CTS TOP,CTS Throttle Pipe,CTS Crank Pulley,Audi Resonator Delete,Unitronic Stage 2 Ecu/Tcu,Centre Console Opened,Tinted Windows 5%Back 20%Front
034 Motorsport Dogbone,034 Motorsport Rear Sub Frame Mounts,034 Strut Mounts&Bearings,Emmanuele Design Springs,NGK RS7 Plugs,More Mods Coming.....
Chronic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:09 PM   #5
biglilsteve

I don't think the issue is with the DSG holding. It just needs the TCU tune to increase clamping pressure to avoid slip.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:17 PM   #6
Chronic

Yes I agree
CTS Catless Downpipe,CTS Cold Air Intake,CTS TMD,CTS TIP,CTS TOP,CTS Throttle Pipe,CTS Crank Pulley,Audi Resonator Delete,Unitronic Stage 2 Ecu/Tcu,Centre Console Opened,Tinted Windows 5%Back 20%Front
034 Motorsport Dogbone,034 Motorsport Rear Sub Frame Mounts,034 Strut Mounts&Bearings,Emmanuele Design Springs,NGK RS7 Plugs,More Mods Coming.....
Old 05-18-2017, 09:58 PM   #7
rllu

So I'm assuming all of you who replied are tuned with DSG and have no issues?
Old 05-18-2017, 10:07 PM   #8
Chronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllu View Post
So I'm assuming all of you who replied are tuned with DSG and have no issues?

I've got 14600 km on my R and 13000km have been tuned with no issues
Old 05-18-2017, 11:45 PM   #9
The Fed

Some people have problems with stage 1. It's a crap shoot. If you want to be reasonably sure you won't need to pay for a clutch pack get a piggyback.
(Mostly) Posted by Josh/AWE. Flapper valves are open at idle, close after 1100 RPM during part throttle. Full throttle 1st-4th gear the valves open until throttle let off. 4th gear, 1500 RPM to full throttle closed, closed until 3500 RPM, then open until lift off throttle.
The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:34 AM   #10
rllu

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fed View Post
Some people have problems with stage 1. It's a crap shoot. If you want to be reasonably sure you won't need to pay for a clutch pack get a piggyback.
Are you tuned? Yes, from all the other threads I've searched it seems like a crap shoot, but I really wanted a thread to compile who really has had problems and in what time frame... Hopefully this way we can have a better idea?
Old 05-19-2017, 12:35 AM   #11
Chronic

He's tuned on life
Old 05-19-2017, 12:36 AM   #12
Chronic

But he is knowledgeable
Old 05-19-2017, 03:41 PM   #13
R Golf

Drives: Miata MX5, Golf R
I just had an APR Stage 1 done with DSG. I did a lot of research, and my mechanic has tons of APR experience. He said the hi torque Stage 1 is fine with DSG.

I use my R on the track as well as lots of mileage as a daily driver. I also keep my cars for a long time, so reliability is very important for me. I started a thread asking for responses from people with APR tunes over 20K miles and all were very positive.
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28940

One thing I rarely (almost never) do is stop light drags. If I was into that, I probably would have gotten the TCU as well, because that puts huge stress on the clutches.
R Golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:56 PM   #14
biglilsteve

The TCU is about so much more than just increased clamping pressure.

- Takeoff smoothness is vastly improved.
- The 1-2 shift which was typically jerky for me is vastly improved.
- Shift points are much more intuitive. The car no longer races to higher gears and likes to keep you around a minimum of 2000rpm so you are closer to the power.
- Shifts overall are just faster.

It's worth the $700. If you're getting an ECU tune, there's no reason to skip the TCU besides being cheap. And oftentimes, being cheap costs you a lot more later in many facets of life.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:35 PM   #15
Chronic

All I got to say is that if you are dsg the ecu/tcu go hand in hand if you don't have it,you really don't get what the people that do have it are really talking about it really is like night and day

As for stop light drags 4700 launch control....lol awesome and 6800 redline
Old 05-19-2017, 09:54 PM   #16
The Fed

If you're getting ANY APR tune you might as well get the TCU tune, since you're driveline warranty is toast anyway.
(Mostly) Posted by Josh/AWE. Flapper valves are open at idle, close after 1100 RPM during part throttle. Full throttle 1st-4th gear the valves open until throttle let off. 4th gear, 1500 RPM to full throttle closed, closed until 3500 RPM, then open until lift off throttle.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:57 PM   #17
The Fed

If you were only putting out gross 300 ft. lbs. of torque then I would vote for no TCU tune.