GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > Golf R Discussions

Old 10-12-2017, 03:55 PM   #120
Maddmike

Drives: 2016 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
Upgrade from Stage 1 to Stage 2 is free, but you still need to pay for Stage 1.
Agreed. That is what I meant by "if upgrading".
Maddmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:10 PM   #121
rustywoodstone

Drives: 2016 DSG LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpaul View Post
What do you guys think of the new 034 Cast Stainless Steel Performance Downpipe?
I haven't seen a ton of reviews on this one. I know another user on here. Maybe even in this thread was saying to stay clear of the 034 dp? Not sure why. That was the only bad review. Posted on Reddit and here that I was looking at the unitronic dp and didn't get any feed back. User on reddit gave a nod to HPA dp tho. I checked it out and it looks nice as well. Of the two Uni and HPA the difference I see is the cat. one is 200 cell and one is 300 cell not sure if that makes a difference in sound and smell?

Last edited by rustywoodstone; 10-12-2017 at 07:23 PM.
rustywoodstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:04 AM   #122
Johnpaul

Drives: VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywoodstone View Post
I haven't seen a ton of reviews on this one. I know another user on here. Maybe even in this thread was saying to stay clear of the 034 dp? Not sure why. That was the only bad review. Posted on Reddit and here that I was looking at the unitronic dp and didn't get any feed back. User on reddit gave a nod to HPA dp tho. I checked it out and it looks nice as well. Of the two Uni and HPA the difference I see is the cat. one is 200 cell and one is 300 cell not sure if that makes a difference in sound and smell?
034 usually has good products so I wonder why they say to stay away from the dp?
Old 10-13-2017, 07:43 AM   #123
Gawernator

Drives: '17 Wolfsburg 1.8T; '15 ZX6R Racebike (x2)
Quote:
What do you guys think of the new 034 Cast Stainless Steel Performance Downpipe?

Seems really expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2018 Sponsors:
JPH Suspension | AXO Racing | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | Galfer | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft | Wicked Audio
http://www.gawerracing.com
Gawernator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:35 PM   #124
rustywoodstone

Drives: 2016 DSG LB
Quote:
034 usually has good products so I wonder why they say to stay away from the dp?
I agree. I thought they had a pretty good rep. I guess someone felt they got burned and is bitter.

Would someone please tell me if a 200 cell cat is louder than say a 300 cell cat? Or can you not really tell a difference.

thnx!

300 cell is going to be quieter.

Last edited by rustywoodstone; 10-13-2017 at 04:13 PM. Reason: found my answer
rustywoodstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:58 PM   #125
Johnpaul

Drives: VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawernator View Post
Seems really expensive

It's cheaper than the AWE and about the same price as a Unitronics. But yes, it's still really expensive.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:55 AM   #126
Gawernator

Quote:
It's cheaper than the AWE and about the same price as a Unitronics. But yes, it's still really expensive.

Maybe thatís why itís not popular. Isnít the catted CTS turbo pipe basically the same thing and $499?

JPH Suspension | AXO Racing | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | Galfer | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft | Wicked Audio
Old 10-16-2017, 03:34 PM   #127
gaveup

Drives: 2017 Golf R
People willing to throw a grand at a short bent pipe will always amaze me. I’m guessing this is that German tax I’ve heard so much about before buying this car.
gaveup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:53 PM   #128
Gawernator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaveup View Post
People willing to throw a grand at a short bent pipe will always amaze me. Iím guessing this is that German tax Iíve heard so much about before buying this car.

Exactly what it is. I couldnít bring myself to spend crazy money for that either. People can get a full exhaust for less than that. Metal tubing is not very expensive. Itís the German tax. Though in this case there are more value conscious options. The real German tax is when you need to replace an in tank fuel pump thatís a dealer only part and costs like $800...

Old 10-16-2017, 05:57 PM   #129
vj123

Drives: 2016 GTI
Quote:
Exactly what it is. I couldnít bring myself to spend crazy money for that either. People can get a full exhaust for less than that. Metal tubing is not very expensive. Itís the German tax. Though in this case there are more value conscious options. The real German tax is when you need to replace an in tank fuel pump thatís a dealer only part and costs like $800...
Yes, AWE charges a premium for the product. There is some kind of R&D which goes into every component and its takes time / effort to develop a good product to satisfy the customer. I can vouch on this because i do this for living. Can you call a brake caliper to be a mechanical c-clamp or a Tire to be a piece of molded rubber - answer is Yes but there is a lot more into it. AWE develop and manufacture their products in-house. With this downpipe, they do not have any drone issues and used a good quality cat in their downpipe. Milltek downpipe costs $1050 and the pricing is very comparable with AWE (all of their dealers offer 8% off MSRP).

Case 1: How can you justify spending $1500 (minimum) for a set of 19" wheels for GTI / R when you can buy 19" Ford Performance wheels for a Mustang for $660.
http://www.fordracingbyspeedshopdire...07k-m19xgb.htm

Case 2: Why is VW charging $20k for a Jetta and $40k for an A4 even though they share underpinnings and other components. One user had a bad product as mentioned in #62. So can you assure me that i will not have any problem buying an A4 because i paid the premium.

I am not affiliated to AWE. I am just a happy customer, both with their product and customer service. Will i buy their products in the future for a premium, Yes.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:01 PM   #130
Gawernator

Quote:
Yes, AWE charges a premium for the product. There is some kind of R&D which goes into every component and its takes time / effort to develop a good product to satisfy the customer. I can vouch on this because i do this for living. Can you call a brake caliper to be a mechanical c-clamp or a Tire to be a piece of molded rubber - answer is Yes but there is a lot more into it. AWE develop and manufacture their products in-house. With this downpipe, they do not have any drone issues and used a good quality cat in their downpipe. Milltek downpipe costs $1050 and the pricing is very comparable with AWE (all of their dealers offer 8% off MSRP).

Case 1: How can you justify spending $1500 (minimum) for a set of 19" wheels for GTI / R when you can buy 19" Ford Performance wheels for a Mustang for $660.
http://www.fordracingbyspeedshopdire...07k-m19xgb.htm

Case 2: Why is VW charging $20k for a Jetta and $40k for an A4 even though they share underpinnings and other components. One user had a bad product as mentioned in #62. So can you assure me that i will not have any problem buying an A4 because i paid the premium.

I am not affiliated to AWE. I am just a happy customer, both with their product and customer service. Will i buy their products in the future for a premium, Yes.
I never said the premium is unjustifiable ;P sometimes paying for the R&D, overhead and brand name is worth it, sometimes it's not. I spent more on CF side skirts than I did on my downpipe. Everyone is a little different, I guess
Old 10-16-2017, 06:16 PM   #131
vj123

Quote:
I never said the premium is unjustifiable ;P sometimes paying for the R&D, overhead and brand name is worth it, sometimes it's not. I spent more on CF side skirts than I did on my downpipe. Everyone is a little different, I guess
Its your preference, agreed. Likewise i see nothing wrong with AWE's asking price for the quality of product they are selling.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:21 PM   #132
Gawernator

Except the blown up one lol

Old 10-16-2017, 06:24 PM   #133
vj123

Quote:
Except the blown up one lol

Can you look at my previous post and give your opinion on case 2.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:27 PM   #134
Gawernator

Quote:
Can you look at my previous post and give your opinion on case 2.
That's an amazing price for those wheels.

Case 2, yeah I think Audi is worth the brand name premium
Old 10-16-2017, 06:32 PM   #135
vj123

Quote:
That's an amazing price for those wheels.

Case 2, yeah I think Audi is worth the brand name premium

Likewise many people here are fine to pay the premium for AWEs products.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:01 PM   #136
flipflp

Drives: 2016 Golf R DSG
I love a good "well I'd never buy one, but here's my opinion" discussion.

Things cost money, some things cost more money, some people see value in those things. If you don't, there are other things that cost less money. You should buy those. No reason to treat all things that cost more money like they are overpriced for everyone, just because they are to you.

My 0.02 on the 034 pipe? I think it's on the high end of reasonably priced for what it offers and would highly consider purchasing one on sale. Cast inlet, large diameter high quality cat, from a well respected company, I like all those things.
flipflp is offline   Reply With Quote