GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > GTI & Golf MK7 General Discussions

Old 10-12-2017, 02:44 PM   #86
acapvwgti

Drives: 2015 Golf GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky Red View Post
Wolfsburg cars can have issues too.

But the plant is awesome. When I visited they were building 3000 Golfs a day.
Wow 3k a day, thatís insane. What efficiency !
Old 10-12-2017, 03:00 PM   #87
wlfpck

Drives: 2016 GTI
There was not much of a price difference going from a MK6 to the MK7. Hopefully there won't be too big an increase in price going to the MK8.

Keep in mind they have to compete with the other cars in the segment. For the golf... The Elantra GT, Focus, etc.

For the GTI... the Subaru WRX, Focus ST, etc.

The competitor pricing will drive the VW pricing. Remember that VW is not the luxury brand. That's Audi. VW has to compete as the everyday brand. Ford, Honda, Hyundai, etc. While we all know that VW has a better interior and so forth... They can't just all of a sudden say a GTI is now 8K higher than a Subaru WRX.

At the same time... the pull of the golf out of Mexico could be to free up production space for the Tiguan and Atlas. In the U.S., trucks and SUV/crossovers have taken over the market. There's articles about how the Honda Accord and the Toyota Camary have declined drastically in sales as the CRV, Rav4 have increased drastically. The market here for Crossovers is so high... that people don't even want a fit. They want the new HRV. Mazda released the CX-3. Toyota released the CHR.

Golf sales have been dropping along with a lot of other vehicles. This isn't a matter of "my GTI can do everything a Rav4 can". We on this forum are car enthusiasts. We care about performance and utility. That's why we know what a hot hatch is. Unfortunately, in the U.S. everyone else wants a crossover.

The real question is why someone made the decision not to bring the T-Roc to the U.S. Especially given how well Crossovers sell here.
wlfpck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:07 PM   #88
heiney9

Drives: 2017 - GTi Sport -DSG & 2009 GTi -TSI DSG
If it costs more to manufacture/ship cars from Germany then in order to stay competitive in the pricing model, they will no doubt start cheapening things to save costs. It's the only solution. But I have never seen a breakdown comparison of what it costs per car at the Pueblo plant vs. Wolfsburg.

Perhaps if the SUV's are going to be made in the Pueblo plant the profit might offset the Golf's cost of being made in Wolfsburg and they can continue to be competitively priced w/o sacrificing the upscale feel of the Golf and just be resigned to making less profit per Golf in the US
Old 10-12-2017, 04:19 PM   #89
Sandman GTI

Drives: GTI MK7 Autobahn, PP, DCC+LP, 97 F-150 4.6L V8
The future in USA Sales looks like SUV’s.
The reason given for the move is Unions but maybe VW is the winner by making the hot seller/more profit vehicle in Mexico and moving small car to Germany.
Maybe Mexico plant is winner. They get to produce higher profit cars.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:10 PM   #90
takemorepills

Drives: 2016 GTI SE DSG
My concern would be that VW drops the Mk8 in the USA. Already, the Mk7 is a touch on the "high" side of new car pricing in it's small segment. If Mk8s had to come from Germany, would VW even bother? I see a LOT of GTI love here in the PNW. I feel like either the Dieselgate deals on GTIs or VW moving people from TDIs to GTIs has caused the roads here to be absolutely flush with GTIs. They are not as common as Prius yet, but I see more GTIs than I would ever expect. But maybe in the entire USA they no longer fit into the VW corporate goals?

The automaker I am really respecting right now is Honda. They seemed to have lost their way, the recent CivicX was a stumble IMO also, but the new 2018 Accord shows that Honda is doubling-down AGAINST crossovers and SUVs. Even though Honda is in a good position with very popular crossovers and SUVs, they still put all of their heart into the latest Accord. I wonder if it is because it was the car that made them what they are today?
2 types of turbo motors, one from the CTR
6MT available on both turbo motors
2 different types of ATs
LED headlights and tails on every trim
all kinds of standard features
reasonable pricing

I feel like VW may just abandon the US market with the Mk8
takemorepills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:31 PM   #91
wlfpck

Quote:
Originally Posted by takemorepills View Post
My concern would be that VW drops the Mk8 in the USA. Already, the Mk7 is a touch on the "high" side of new car pricing in it's small segment. If Mk8s had to come from Germany, would VW even bother? I see a LOT of GTI love here in the PNW. I feel like either the Dieselgate deals on GTIs or VW moving people from TDIs to GTIs has caused the roads here to be absolutely flush with GTIs. They are not as common as Prius yet, but I see more GTIs than I would ever expect. But maybe in the entire USA they no longer fit into the VW corporate goals?

The automaker I am really respecting right now is Honda. They seemed to have lost their way, the recent CivicX was a stumble IMO also, but the new 2018 Accord shows that Honda is doubling-down AGAINST crossovers and SUVs. Even though Honda is in a good position with very popular crossovers and SUVs, they still put all of their heart into the latest Accord. I wonder if it is because it was the car that made them what they are today?
2 types of turbo motors, one from the CTR
6MT available on both turbo motors
2 different types of ATs
LED headlights and tails on every trim
all kinds of standard features
reasonable pricing

I feel like VW may just abandon the US market with the Mk8
I doubt they'd abandon the GTI in the US. With the market segment being the WRX, Civic SI, Focus ST... they'd lose out by not having the GTI here.
wlfpck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:51 PM   #92
heiney9

GTi's in my area are very sparse. I see them occasionally and I've only noted 2 other MK7's. GTi's for me are still a kind of rare breed around here in Illinois. I'm just outside Chicago with a population of about 160,000. But, we only have 1 VW dealer and they don't have a large presence since they sell also sell, Buick, Chevy, GMC, BMW and other makes.

I don't think VW will abandon the US market with the MK8 GTi.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:58 PM   #93
heiney9

Honda sells a lot more cars and can therefore afford to have many variants and upgraded options. Even the new Corolla has some of the technology you can only get on an Autobahn edition GTi. But how do they compare driving wise? Night and day, I'd take a de-contented GTi S over a fully loaded Corolla every time! Two different types of cars aimed at different segments of the market. Hell, I'd even take a base Golf over a Corolla. If you are only comparing cars based solely on content and options, then the GTi isn't for you.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:58 PM   #94
ecsta

Drives: 2017 R
GTIs EVERYWHERE in the Toronto area (with huge markdowns for the ones on the lot) i'm seeing them at least a couple times a day. Lots of mk6s too (not just mk7s).

See an R most days.

I would be shocked if the MK8 didn't come to NA. I'm guessing it'll still come but will just be even more watered down to save on costs. Goodbye options.
ecsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:38 PM   #95
Mk_GTI

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
GTi's in my area are very sparse. I see them occasionally and I've only noted 2 other MK7's. GTi's for me are still a kind of rare breed around here in Illinois. I'm just outside Chicago with a population of about 160,000. But, we only have 1 VW dealer and they don't have a large presence since they sell also sell, Buick, Chevy, GMC, BMW and other makes.

I don't think VW will abandon the US market with the MK8 GTi.
I see at least a few Mk5/6/7 GTI's every day in the City of Chicago. They're quite popular here.
Mk_GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:46 PM   #96
heiney9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk_GTI View Post
I see at least a few Mk5/6/7 GTI's every day in the City of Chicago. They're quite popular here.
I don't doubt it. If I come into the City or any of the outlying 'burbs I do see more. But then within a 75 mile radius of the City there probably 15-20 VW dealerships.

In Rockford, we have just 1 dealer and they don't have the best rep and they have never had a sales model that really does any sort of volume. I went to Elgin to buy my MK7. Dealer here didn't have a single 2017 GTi on the lot for months at a time, and then it was just a couple "S" models when they did. Yet in the 'burbs each had no less than 7-10 at any one time.

I see an occasional MK6. Just recently I saw (2) MK5's like my 2009 gray 4 door GTi. I haven't seen a MK4 or Mk3 GTi all Summer.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:24 PM   #97
vj123

Quote:
I highly doubt that VW will remove GTI / R from the US market. Vehicle options is this segment is already less and VW will not miss out an opportunity to increase their sale numbers by reducing their models. There are a lot of brand loyal / repeating customers in this particular segment. After dieselgate, they are trying all means to increase their market share in every other possible way: by launching SUVs (they are too late to the party) and offering 6yr / 72000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

If you see the sale numbers, GTI / R approximates to 10% of VW US market share. https://media.vw.com/release/1418/
Old 10-12-2017, 09:42 PM   #98
takemorepills

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
I highly doubt that VW will remove GTI / R from the US market. Vehicle options is this segment is already less and VW will not miss out an opportunity to increase their sale numbers by reducing their models. There are a lot of brand loyal / repeating customers in this particular segment. After dieselgate, they are trying all means to increase their market share in every other possible way: by launching SUVs (they are too late to the party) and offering 6yr / 72000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

If you see the sale numbers, GTI / R approximates to 10% of VW US market share. https://media.vw.com/release/1418/
Good info in that link. IMO, kill the Golf. lame, lame car, is it unusual that the "sporty" model of a car WAY outsells the plain-jane version? Seems very unusual. Keep GTI, R and Sportwagen. Re-content the Sportwagen (WTF VW, why get rid of LP? your halogens suck!) and keep offering it in AWD. Nice to have an alternative to a soul-sucking Impreza with a wheez-o-matic CVT and a tepid 2.0
Old 10-12-2017, 11:31 PM   #99
njswider

Drives: MK7 R DSG
Philly area has a crazy amount of GTIs. Just on my drive home I saw 5 different ones and we have at least 6 just on a single floor of the parking garage at work. Would be shocked if they axed the GTI. I probably see 15+ a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
njswider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:45 PM   #100
Trancebolt

Drives: '17 MK7 GTI Sport, '12 E350 Bluetec
Quote:
The automaker I am really respecting right now is Honda. They seemed to have lost their way, the recent CivicX was a stumble IMO also, but the new 2018 Accord shows that Honda is doubling-down AGAINST crossovers and SUVs. Even though Honda is in a good position with very popular crossovers and SUVs, they still put all of their heart into the latest Accord. I wonder if it is because it was the car that made them what they are today? Good info in that link. IMO, kill the Golf. lame, lame car, is it unusual that the "sporty" model of a car WAY outsells the plain-jane version? Seems very unusual. Keep GTI, R and Sportwagen. Re-content the Sportwagen (WTF VW, why get rid of LP? your halogens suck!) and keep offering it in AWD. Nice to have an alternative to a soul-sucking Impreza with a wheez-o-matic CVT and a tepid 2.0
Honda defaults to CVTs in almost every model in the lineup (minus a 9 speed here and there, and the manuals and afew old 6 spds autos non dct). Hard to fault subaru, who actually do a better job programming the CVT modes.

Alot of people here have opted to go golf or sportwagen and tune/mod their way up and it makes sense, instead of a gti/r.

and didnt honda START the crossover craze with the STupid Crosstour/ZDX bs many years ago? I honestly think the Accord is overpriced for what it is at the moment. Leasing and MSRP both
Trancebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:52 AM   #101
MSchott

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fed View Post
I don't know from where components are sourced, except for what's listed on the Monroney sticker. I had some of the same smaller components fail on my Brazilian-made GTI as my German-made GTI - door latches and cooling fans come to mind. My feeling is a German car should be made in Germany, just like a U.S. car should be made in the U.S., and a Japanese car should be made in Japan. Countries should employ their own citizens and give them the opportunity to show what they can do.

The same car built in one country costs you the same as one assembled in another country. Car makers only care about profit, and cheaper operating costs dictates where they build. I'm surprised every car isn't built in Mexico or an Asian country.
I'm not sure of your point. Auto companies and their shareholders are not allowed to make a good margin? US auto employees are getting nice bonuses because of high sales and profits. Reduce the profits by making the cars in the US and salaries and benefits go down. Or prices go up and sales go down. It's a global economy and that is not going to change.

Also , German, Japanese and Korean car companies building cars in the US employ 10's of thousands here. Not to mention their suppliers.
MSchott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:18 AM   #102
takemorepills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancebolt View Post
Honda defaults to CVTs in almost every model in the lineup (minus a 9 speed here and there, and the manuals and afew old 6 spds autos non dct). Hard to fault subaru, who actually do a better job programming the CVT modes.

Alot of people here have opted to go golf or sportwagen and tune/mod their way up and it makes sense, instead of a gti/r.

and didnt honda START the crossover craze with the STupid Crosstour/ZDX bs many years ago? I honestly think the Accord is overpriced for what it is at the moment. Leasing and MSRP both
Back in 2014 we test drove Impreza for my wife (that year Civic was a huge hell-no!). The Impreza was a dog, hard to fault the CVT as the 2.0 had no nuts at all. At the time she had the 2008 Impreza 2.5 with 4AT, that car drove really nicely, actually. We kept her old car.