GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

Old 06-14-2017, 02:40 AM   #18
LightsOut

Drives: 2016 MK7 GTI PP, Uni stg 1/H&R Springs/Injen SP
After a couple hours of driving around on Stage 1...It feels exactly like the stock power of a Golf R (which says a lot...the power delivery is extremely smooth and the car again literally feels like it came stock with this power). I thought the 360 lb of torque would be a crazy kick in the ass, but it is well distributed. The 2 things that have clearly changed is - on the highway when accelerating you can definately feel the increase in power. I used to feel the umph died in the top end...now its just nuts. Secondly, when you drive in manual/sport and gears change the power keeps building..i used to feel a slight dip in power but now its amazing. All in all - I was expecting to bring in a GTI and bring out a snarly 360lb torque beast. It isn't that dramatic, but very very powerful and enjoyable when u want to push it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LightsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:28 PM   #19
BLACK_MK7R_TORONTO

Drives: 17' Black Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by madelinot View Post
When I purchased it, I went directly to Stage 2. Both DSG and TCU. The car was almost new and still 100% stock. I purchased the UniConnect cable at the same time. I initially installed Stage 1.5 and then a few months ago, I gutted my intake, installed a CTS downpipe and installed Stage 2 at the same time.

I know it sounds weird, but I felt more HP from the transition from 1.5 to 2.0 versus stock to 1.5. Probably just my mind. But I really love stage 2. It still doesn't pull as strong as my trusty old G35 used to, but it's really really nice.

I have the Unitronic intercooler sitting in my garage and will be installing that soon. I'm waiting on Unitronic to release their stage 3, then will probably do that...
I had a G35 too. Doesn't even come close to the pull of the R? what did you have done to your G? twin turbo???? LOL
BLACK_MK7R_TORONTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:36 PM   #20
madelinot

Drives: Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK_MK7R_TORONTO View Post
I had a G35 too. Doesn't even come close to the pull of the R? what did you have done to your G? twin turbo???? LOL
Yes. 700HP.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:43 AM   #21
Wongatron

Drives: 2015 VOLKSWAGEN gti unitronic
My unitronic experience

Hi all, new to forum posting but read a while. Stage 1+ on my 2015 mk7, goose auto the only one in San Antonio. Was at 40k already stock and have the stage 1+ now. A month + in, enjoying surge power at 4k+ and 70mph+:where it fell off before. Also gains in mpg. From sa to Houston usual mileage about 28, 2x registered 32+ at 75+ average speed. Daily in town driving shows 2 mpg gains or so too
Wongatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:27 AM   #22
Pinkesh

Drives: Volkswagen GTI
Hi, to Cavemin and LightsOut,

I know you guys just got it in June, can you please provide an update on your experience and if you have had any issues etc? I have a similar GTI at some amount of kms and on the fence like you guys were. Any advice and feedback will help (that goes to any body reading this who has stage 1). I'm almost convinced that it seems like a fairly safe upgrade that won't kill the engine etc.

Thanks!
Pinkesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:02 PM   #23
faid

Drives: gti
Just got into a Golf R from a Mk7 GTI. Had great experience with eurodyne. Any one try Eurodyne before Unitronics? Need both DSG and ECU tune.
faid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:57 PM   #24
arrrgh14

Drives: MK7 DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkesh View Post
Hi, to Cavemin and LightsOut,

I know you guys just got it in June, can you please provide an update on your experience and if you have had any issues etc? I have a similar GTI at some amount of kms and on the fence like you guys were. Any advice and feedback will help (that goes to any body reading this who has stage 1). I'm almost convinced that it seems like a fairly safe upgrade that won't kill the engine etc.

Thanks!
+1 to this. If anyone can share their experiences with a couple thousand miles on the car id appreciate it. The only thing holding me back is fears of blowing something up.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:02 PM   #25
Wongatron

Drives: 2015 VOLKSWAGEN gti unitronic
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrgh14 View Post
+1 to this. If anyone can share their experiences with a couple thousand miles on the car id appreciate it. The only thing holding me back is fears of blowing something up.
I've put some decent miles since my early August install, was low 40k now almost 50k miles. power delivery is still smooth and excellent, I haven't noticed any strange behavior and I'm still averaging about 2-3 mpg better than before even with at least a couple full throttle blasts per tank. also handled running a tank of regular unleaded during the local gas shortage after Hurricane Harvey with no hiccups.
Wongatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:11 AM   #26
CarlosCanizares

Drives: 2016 Volkswagen Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by faid View Post
Just got into a Golf R from a Mk7 GTI. Had great experience with eurodyne. Any one try Eurodyne before Unitronics? Need both DSG and ECU tune.
Welcome to the club. Came from an ED Stage 2 GTI to a 16’ R. I promised John I’d ride his boat the next time I tuned lol.

I haven’t heard a negative review about Unitronic. Said it many times over, had UniConnect come out first, I wouldn’t have touched ED. Though I enjoyed my time with my GTI, I’m looking for a bit more refinement now.

Only thing that’s delaying me is that two of my colleagues have R’s and both have had driveshaft issues that required VW to plug in their cars for warranty. I’ll save up bit more for extra “pay to play” room just in case
Old 10-11-2017, 01:26 AM   #27
faid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosCanizares View Post
Welcome to the club. Came from an ED Stage 2 GTI to a 16í R. I promised John Iíd ride his boat the next time I tuned lol.

I havenít heard a negative review about Unitronic. Said it many times over, had UniConnect come out first, I wouldnít have touched ED. Though I enjoyed my time with my GTI, Iím looking for a bit more refinement now.

Only thing thatís delaying me is that two of my colleagues have Rís and both have had driveshaft issues that required VW to plug in their cars for warranty. Iíll save up bit more for extra ďpay to playĒ room just in case
Were they tuned? 2016?
Old 10-11-2017, 02:16 AM   #28
CarlosCanizares

Quote:
Were they tuned? 2016?
No, both are stock 2016 R's. But they were plugged in for warranty purposes.

In my GTI, I was fortunate to never need any drivetrain-related warranty work and my advisor never let my car get plugged in, so all was good! I had over 30,000 joyful kms in Stage 2 with that car. It worked flawlessly!

The fact that two of my coworkers suffered the same issues sort of made me delay my tuning the R.

Last edited by CarlosCanizares; 10-11-2017 at 09:27 PM.
CarlosCanizares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:15 AM   #29
faid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosCanizares View Post
No, both are stock 2016 R's. But they were plugged in for warranty purposes.

In my GTI, I was fortunate to never need any drivetrain-related warranty work and my advisor never let my car get plugged in, so all was good! I had over 30,000 joyful kms in Stage 2 with that car. It worked flawlessly!

The fact that two of my coworkers suffered the same issues sort of made me delay my tuning the R.
Dam. Now you have scared me. Was thinking to go eurodyne stage 1 till my oil change then go stage 2 with cooler.

What exactly broke? Just driveshaft or did it take something with it?
Old 10-12-2017, 11:25 PM   #30
CarlosCanizares

Quote:
Dam. Now you have scared me. Was thinking to go eurodyne stage 1 till my oil change then go stage 2 with cooler.

What exactly broke? Just driveshaft or did it take something with it?
I apologize; wasn't my intention to scare you off from tuning. I fully intend to tune my car, but since I picked it up slightly used CPO, I've decided to see how it goes over an extended period. I've only had it since June 22nd.

I can find out what went wrong and get back to you. AFAIK, their driveshafts were replaced under warranty.

On my GTI, I went straight to Stage 2 after 10K.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:30 PM   #31
Noize

Drives: 2017 Golf R
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35885
Bought today. Flawless thus far.