GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Off-Topic Discussions > General Car News and Discussions

Old 10-06-2017, 07:18 PM   #1
FriskyDingo

Drives: Fast
The Passat GT is Coming

Just popped up in 2018 VW Ordering Guide. No pricing yet, scheduled to start production in Dec. Anyone thinking about one of these??

FriskyDingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:14 PM   #2
The Fed

Drives: 2016 Golf R
For people who don't like driving a plain one. Which should be everyone since the plain ones are soooo ugly.
(Mostly) Posted by Josh/AWE. Flapper valves are open at idle, close after 1100 RPM during part throttle. Full throttle 1st-4th gear the valves open until throttle let off. 4th gear, 1500 RPM to full throttle closed, closed until 3500 RPM, then open until lift off throttle.
The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:05 AM   #3
Bäsemödel

Drives: 15 Golf TSi
Pass. Not for me...
Helix UUs w/HIDs//deAuto LEDs//Maxton Lip//GTI Skirts//Center Exit Exhaust//OEM Hatch Spoiler//18” Peelers//Magnaflow Catback//CTS Dogbone//GTI PP RSB//VWR Springs//HELIX Subwoofer//OBD11 Coding//OEM Add Ons - adding fogs/footwells is possible!
Bäsemödel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:14 AM   #4
GolfWang

Drives: '15 Night Blue DSG S
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fed View Post
For people who don't like driving a plain one. Which should be everyone since the plain ones are soooo ugly.
Have you seen the "Sport" trim w/ LP?? I honestly think it looks damn good. I think this is gross. Putting "aggressive" accents on full size family sedan is just silly
GolfWang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:24 AM   #5
Sandman GTI

Drives: GTI MK7 Autobahn, PP, DCC+LP, 97 F-150 4.6L V8
Sporty Boat.

Nice old fashion sedan. What is left of them.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:49 AM   #6
snobrdrdan

Drives: a VW
Send a message via AIM to snobrdrdan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
Have you seen the "Sport" trim w/ LP?? I honestly think it looks damn good. I think this is gross. Putting "aggressive" accents on full size family sedan is just silly
It's called the R-line

Wife's..
Untitled by Dan W, on Flickr

And then my '17 V6:

It's got a Borla exhaust on it (and some other mods ) and the VR6 sounds AMAZING
Old 10-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #7
Obsrvr

Drives: '16 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post
It's called the R-line

It's got a Borla exhaust on it (and some other mods ) and the VR6 sounds AMAZING
Borla is so mellow! Sounds like my old 5 litre Stang. Your wife may want a twin-turbo kit on that...
Old 10-10-2017, 05:09 PM   #8
TheWombat

Drives: Golf R MKVII 2016 manual
Quote:
I hear ya, but it does sort of depend on the car. The Ford Taurus SHO looks pretty bad ass, really, as did the Chevy SS, though both had the chops more or less to go with the looks.

Personally, I have a hard time seeing either the Jetta or the Passat as a choice I'd make in the sedan market. They seem to be fine cars overall, but not really distinct enough to make them a superior choice to, say, an Accord with a manual or a Mazda 6.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:17 PM   #9
FriskyDingo

Drives: Fast
Man, seems like the Passat is not very well received around here.

I think they are fantastic cars. Are they the sportiest out there?? No. But they have an absolutely cavernous back seat and truck, good power, are very comfortable and refined, have loads of tech, and are still more than competent in the handling department.

Having driven literally every other car in the segment, the Passat still punches right up there with most, and is better than some, despite it's age. The Accord is a CVT unless you get a Sport. They just dropped the V6 and went to a hideous body style. The Camry is devoid of any emotion and has poor infotainment. The Mazda 6 is overrated. Good (but not great) steering and handling, but expensive, lacking features, and underpowered. The Passat still has plenty of pros going for it.

As for the Sport, I think it looks good, and is a nice send off for this generation. I'm curious to see how far-if at all- it goes beyond cosmetics.
FriskyDingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:29 PM   #10
Trancebolt

Drives: '17 MK7 GTI Sport, '12 E350 Bluetec
Yeah honestly it was a missed opportunity for so long for them to not offer a more well honed version of the passat. It isnt a bad option for alot of people.
Trancebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:44 PM   #11
TheWombat

Drives: Golf R MKVII 2016 manual
Part of the reason the Passat doesn't get much attention is its looks...it is sort of bland, even more so than usual for German sedans. Seems like a solid car though, certainly.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:52 PM   #12
Gawernator

Drives: '17 Wolfsburg 1.8T; '15 ZX6R Racebike (x2)
Looks cool to me, lol.
Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors: JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | Bridgestone | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft | Wicked Audio
http://www.gawerracing.com
Gawernator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:18 PM   #13
GolfWang

Drives: '15 Night Blue DSG S
Quote:
It's called the R-line

And then my '17 V6:

Ahhh i was confusing it with the outgoing, pre-facelift Passat's "Sport" trim which came with 19" wheels.

Can you get a DSG tune for your passat? if so, have you?

The thought of a NA V6 with a DSG is mouthwatering to me. I would love to drive that.
GolfWang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:01 AM   #14
Schnell_R

Drives: 2017 Golf R DSG
I owned two, '12 and '14 both diesels. The boot was huge and was a awesome highway car once you shit canned the noisy Eco tires. I love my R but miss the 800 mile between fill up's.
Schnell_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:00 AM   #15
snobrdrdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsrvr View Post
Borla is so mellow! Sounds like my old 5 litre Stang. Your wife may want a twin-turbo kit on that...
Yeah it's got a little burble/rumble at idle, and you definitely hear it when you're WOT....I love it

I had the JB1 on the wife's R-line, and it was a nice compromise, but it's back to stock for now.
Only APR has a tune for the 1.8T, and I had it before, it's okay

The auto trans is really the limiting factor on the 1.8T....it can't handle/hold much torque

Quote:
Ahhh i was confusing it with the outgoing, pre-facelift Passat's "Sport" trim which came with 19" wheels.

Can you get a DSG tune for your passat? if so, have you?

The thought of a NA V6 with a DSG is mouthwatering to me. I would love to drive that.
The DSG & 3.6 is an EXCELLENT combo.
I think there's a DSG tune available, but I don't have it, nor do I feel it really needs it. Maybe if I was adding A LOT more power, it'd be "needed."
But stock, it drives awesome (IMO)

The DSG is definitely more composed/refined with the 3.6 V6 versus a 2.0T w/DSG though.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:08 AM   #16
snobrdrdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
Man, seems like the Passat is not very well received around here.

I think they are fantastic cars. Are they the sportiest out there?? No. But they have an absolutely cavernous back seat and truck, good power, are very comfortable and refined, have loads of tech, and are still more than competent in the handling department.

As for the Sport, I think it looks good, and is a nice send off for this generation. I'm curious to see how far-if at all- it goes beyond cosmetics.
Yup....it's definitely not a true "sports sedan", but a well priced family/people mover with lots of space
Old 10-13-2017, 07:38 AM   #17
Gawernator

Drives: '17 Wolfsburg 1.8T; '15 ZX6R Racebike (x2)
Quote:
Yeah it's got a little burble/rumble at idle, and you definitely hear it when you're WOT....I love it

I had the JB1 on the wife's R-line, and it was a nice compromise, but it's back to stock for now.
Only APR has a tune for the 1.8T, and I had it before, it's okay

The auto trans is really the limiting factor on the 1.8T....it can't handle/hold much torque

The DSG & 3.6 is an EXCELLENT combo.
I think there's a DSG tune available, but I don't have it, nor do I feel it really needs it. Maybe if I was adding A LOT more power, it'd be "needed."
But stock, it drives awesome (IMO)

The DSG is definitely more composed/refined with the 3.6 V6 versus a 2.0T w/DSG though.

Is it the same tiptronic as on the golf? Cause that can hold high 300’s torque

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors: JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | Bridgestone | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft | Wicked Audio
http://www.gawerracing.com
Gawernator is online now   Reply With Quote