GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocrossing / Driving Techniques

Old 08-18-2017, 03:41 PM   #35
-Dutch-

Drives: 2017 Golf GTI SE
Ok folks, the next event is in a week. I've got a nifty digital pressure gauge and a 12v compressor to take with me, what pressures would you recommend trying on stock rubber?
Old 08-18-2017, 05:05 PM   #36
Chad1376

Drives: 2016 CSG GTI MT PP DCC
Oh man, I'm afraid to even answer this after the other tire pressure question. Autocross right?

Around 40 is a good start with stock tires. A little less before the first run. Check the pressure after the first run and thereafter, since heat will increase the pressure, and you'll want to bleed some off. Also, if it's a sunny day, the side of the car in the sun will tend to increase pressure too.

Your TPS warning will be all sorts of pissed off. Just ignore it.

Last edited by Chad1376; 08-18-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Chad1376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:08 PM   #37
-Dutch-

I'm comfortable enough with my sexuality to participate in autocross. Fire away.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:19 PM   #38
bullitt2655

Drives: VW, Ford, Toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Dutch- View Post
Ok folks, the next event is in a week. I've got a nifty digital pressure gauge and a 12v compressor to take with me, what pressures would you recommend trying on stock rubber?
Not sure about stock rubber, but I run 35F/40R hot with RE71's. See how the car rotates/understeers and adjust accordingly. I had the rear slide out the last few courses and its interesting how the nannies correct it so quickly (using ESC Sport setting).
Old 08-18-2017, 10:44 PM   #39
conevadr

Drives: GTI
Not sure about the stock tires, but on the RE71s, I start at 45psi and often end up over 50psi in the rear - 36-38psi in the front. And that's on a reverse stagger setup 245F/215R.

George M
conevadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 03:10 AM   #40
odessa.filez

Drives: 2016 GSW 1.8T S
not driving a gti but my times improved a bit and I think I learned more once I turned esc completely off, starting vibration completely off, xds completely off.
if you have lsd, by all means keep that turned on

tire pressures for me are 45/55 f/r but I'm on 195 all seasons.
odessa.filez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 03:32 AM   #41
Chad1376

Looking at the staggered tire pressures others are using, It makes sense why I had trouble getting the car to rotate. Oh well, my wife just got a new BRZ a couple weeks ago, so getting the rear end to come around is effortless now. I still love my GTI though.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:33 AM   #42
-Dutch-

I'm nowhere near skilled enough for any dialing in to take place, I'd just like a starting point so I have a fighting chance of getting there.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:49 PM   #43
-Dutch-

Right, so I'm there now. I'm getting consistent times but not where I wanted be. I had an instructor go out with me for the first few runs then hit the track by myself.

My best for the course so far is 82.212 and I was hoping to get under 80 today. I had the instructor drive it and he got an 83.4, the all seasons just won't let the car do what it needs to do.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:50 PM   #44
-Dutch-

He did say it was tough to drive as is and that to get these times I'm driving the piss out of it, so I felt better.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:58 PM   #45
-Dutch-

Let another instructor take it around and he got an 81.5 and gave me some pointers. Best lap after that was 81.2 something I think. Let me pull the videos. All seasons suck.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:29 PM   #46
-Dutch-

I tried the recommended 40 PSI all around and this was the result. Rears seemed to wear a little better, fronts look like they could actually use a bit more pressure. These are both the front left.

Run 9, my best time:

https://youtu.be/9z3ayXCJq7s

Run 10, with a passenger I met this morning and rode with a couple of times. We were both floaters who weren't needed on any corners so we spent our day riding with other drivers and had a complete blast. He was driving a pretty much stock BRZ with decent tires. 100 HP less than me but running consistently faster. I'll get a nice set of tires for next year.

https://youtu.be/1-zhHD6Aus4
Old 08-26-2017, 11:37 PM   #47
Chad1376

Quote:
.. I'll get a nice set of tires for next year.
I was waiting for this. You're hooked.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:44 PM   #48
-Dutch-

Bro, it's bad. I swear I'm the only guy there running all seasons and it shows. I had so much fun all day though, I rode in some cars that were really well set up and their drivers knew how to point and shoot.

My best was an 81 and I rode with a guy doing 68 in a '12 mustang, and some Miata that won the day at 65. Such an experience and I had both of them ride with me and drive the car.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:55 AM   #49
dood.

Drives: 2017 GTI S DSG
Quote:

Run 9, my best time:

https://youtu.be/9z3ayXCJq7s

Looks like a fun course! Yeah I've done a few events on the stock Hankook all seasons and they didn't fare too well, granted I didn't run high enough pressures. I also saw a lot of people spraying water on their tires between runs, might have to try that next time - on better tires of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dood. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:25 PM   #50
IHazTurbo

Drives: 2017 Mk7 GTI Sport
The stock Potenzas are not good at all if you want to push the limit of the car/your abilities. If you want a good summer tire that isn't too bad for some daily use as well take a look at the Pilot Sports or the Continental ExtremeContact Sports (what I'm using). They were a major improvement for me. They aren't as quick as a RE71 but I've put over 5k miles on mine and still have some good tread to last me part of next season.

I also recommend, if you aren't first heat or can separate yourself far enough in the heat from the front of your heat, to do a ride along with someone who is willing. It helps you read the course and see what other people are doing on course.

Also, smooth is fast. Try to find a spot on the throttle that you can maintain a consistent amount through the slaloms and long sweepers. The people you watch while working, listen to how smooth they are in and out of the throttle...often times the people that you don't hear the modulation as much are the ones putting up quicker times.
IHazTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:29 PM   #51
big residual

Drives: Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad1376 View Post
I was waiting for this. You're hooked.
There were warnings given.

I went to autox in Feb, and it's Oct and 14 track days later, I'm eyeballing how hard it would be to have a tire trailer next year. Gateway stuff.
big residual is offline   Reply With Quote