GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Battery Re-Connection

cypemmo

Can anyone please tell me if they are aware of any specific procedure / impact on Golf MK 7 1.4 TSI when re-connecting battery after having it disconnected for several months.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
It will throw up loads off error codes because you disconnected the battery..........You'll need to take to dealers or have VCDS to clear them...

Why has it been disconnected for several months?? Shouldn't do it on modern cars they don't like it...

Drevo

Can anyone please tell me if they are aware of any specific procedure / impact on Golf MK 7 1.4 TSI when re-connecting battery after having it disconnected for several months.

Reconnect the battery
Ignore the errors
Drive the car as normal
For a few minutes
Stop the car
switch the car off
Leave it a minute
Switch it back on
No errors
All good to go
Sorted
[emoji106]

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Reconnect the battery
Ignore the errors
Drive the car as normal
For a few minutes
Stop the car
switch the car off
Leave it a minute
Switch it back on
No errors
All good to go
Sorted
[emoji106]

WRONG!!

You may not have any fault lights on the dash. but you will have stored fault codes in all the relevant control modules on the car ...all due to disconnection pf the battery...hell even unplugging modules throws up fault codes even when the ignition is off

I've even had personal experience of disconnecting a battery on a VAG car for 2 months (suspension rebuild) & huge amounts of faults that would not go away & my then friendly dealer (I knew the master tech) had two goes at clearing the lot....

marvin1

Ready to race!
So how does one change a battery? I presume you can't without causing problems, amongst other things, with the Auto Start/Stop system as it will have lost the state of battery charge information.

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
Disconnect my batt each summer and reconnect 5 or so months later. Take battery on my barge and keep charged.
Get warning lights and all clear pretty quickly. If a fault codes remains stored, does it really matter?
When I put the battery back in in mid Oct, I'll hook up VCDS and have a look and find out what I can't clear.