GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 Mustangs are even faster!

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Don't the 5.0s start at 35k with zero options? Why do GTIs need to compete with them? Leave that to the R.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
Don't the 5.0s start at 35k with zero options? Why do GTIs need to compete with them? Leave that to the R.

I just started the thread because I thought it would be an interesting subject. The 2018 Stangs are hitting the street & strip now. You know, it's a car forum, and we like to talk cars and racing. I like to see people's comments, and opinions. Nobody has to race anything, if they don't want to.

Hoon

Autocross Champion

Haven't looked at the 18s, but '17s could be had for $30K.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I do know the front turn signal lights on the new Mustang do not look better in person.
They are larger and look out of place. Stand out too much, which is sad because the opening they sit above is much better looking. So how does a GTI with piggy back or stage one do next to a turbo Mustang?

I also could not get my dogs in th back seat.
4 doors wins no matter how much HP.

Guess we just need the Clubsport S sold here!

nate704

Go Kart Champion
powerful engine with good tranny = check
0-60 under 4 seconds = check
drivability during not-so-perfect road condtion, such as rain, snow, dirt, and so on = NOPE.

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
I do know the front turn signal lights on the new Mustang do not look better in person.
They are larger and look out of place. Stand out too much, which is sad because the opening they sit above is much better looking. So how does a GTI with piggy back or stage one do next to a turbo Mustang?

I also could not get my dogs in th back seat.
4 doors wins no matter how much HP.

Guess we just need the Clubsport S sold here!

Not sure about 2018 Ecoboost Mustangs, but the previous years ran high 13s stock. Tuned they can go high 12s, with boltons, low 12s, on the stock turbo. I test drove a 2016. The car was too big for what I was looking for. The 5.0 engine would be a must for that body. The GTI platform is in another league in terms of handling, feel, and ergonomics.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Lol at the last couple comments. 100% correct. I was going to say the same thing, but I wasnt in the mood. 600 whp coyote supercharged is very easy.
This new revision should be pretty promising.

And yes the gti is a phenomenal car for what it is. 30+ mpg usuable backseat and hatch. Can trap over 110 mph with just a tune. Great things.

But mustang people are not trying to catch up to us. We can hold up vs stock, but once they mod its game over in the straights. Yes we got couple faster is38 gtis roaming and getting some kills, true. But when they get serious and start slapping on a blower for 650-700 whp, then not so much.
They got a 5 liter engine to begin with. That coyote loves to breath and rev.
The power potential is incredible. Our cars are nice n quick for what they are.
But imo we are not competing nor should we vs bigger displacement muscle cars.

This new iteration may not be as blower friendly but we will see. They went from 11:1 to little over 12:1 compression ratio in this 2018 version of the motor. Either way it is a cool car for the money. I prefer having a car that doesn't look like it is supposed to be fast.... stealthy.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
This new iteration may not be as blower friendly but we will see. They went from 11:1 to little over 12:1 compression ratio in this 2018 version of the motor. Either way it is a cool car for the money. I prefer having a car that doesn't look like it is supposed to be fast.... stealthy.

New car is going to RIP with a GT350 manifold though. E85 FBO Mustangs are becoming more common. The increased compression along with an 8K redline (enabled by the GT350 Manifold) gives the 5.0 insane top end for not much money.

Hoon

Autocross Champion

It's going to be a monster on E85.

I have a 12.3:1 E85/turbo motor that gained 76% more whp on 10psi with a non-intercooled setup.

High compression, boost and corn is a recipe for power.

Back when I was into 4G63s there were shops running 12:1 compression and hitting it with 40psi. Those motors weren't around for a long time, but they broke records.

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
I think the 18' Mustangs that are coming out are pretty damn sweet for sure! Get some bolt-ons and that thing will rip.

Now im not running around and racing every single car out there but living in Denver(with no plans to move), all motor just sucks out here with 5,200+ elevations. I have been considering the new Mustang but out here it loses a lot of potential. I am holding out for the new Audi TTRS...used one of course :)

jmasse

Passed Driver's Ed
I just drove one yesterday. Yes it is fast, yes it sounds good.....but the overall build quality, how the doors close, interior materials, and fit and finish are just nowhere close. There is no way I could justify the money just for horsepower.

Zx2man

Ready to race!
Did you test drive a premium GT with leather and that cool looking digital instrument panel?

Ill have to go see for myself. Mustangs were never known for the utmost luxury, but you would think it would be atleast on par with a gti. Its not like a gti is Mercedes S class inside, obviously dam good for the money.

The new Camaros feel pretty solid inside, bro in law has a 16 SS lt2 package. That Alpha chasis is nice!

Logistician

I got a chance to ride in my friends 16 mustang GT, pretty nice ride that was stock.

I was always thrown back when he hit the gas in any gear, but you can tell it's heavy in the curves.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Did you test drive a premium GT with leather and that cool looking digital instrument panel?

Ill have to go see for myself. Mustangs were never known for the utmost luxury, but you would think it would be atleast on par with a gti. Its not like a gti is Mercedes S class inside, obviously dam good for the money.

The new Camaros feel pretty solid inside, bro in law has a 16 SS lt2 package. That Alpha chasis is nice!

New v8 IMO mustangs and camaros are nice, except in rain, snow or if ya need to move a dresser lol

My brother in law just grabbed an ats v, so I agree with ya, that alpha chassis is pretty fn sweet!