GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hit rev limiter in sport mode, wouldn't upshift

LapizR20

So on saturday night i was coming back home, i made a u-turn and just floored it, for some reason the engine hit the rev limiter and wouldnt upshift until i lifted my foot. Granted all of this was in about a second since my first instinct was to let go of the throttle. I was just wondering if anybody else had had something like this happen. For reference i have an APR stage 2 high output file and the dsg reflash

Mk72015

Ready to race!
I have the same issue with my car im ED stage 1.5 and stage 2 DSG tune, sometimes with WOT in S mode the car hits the limiter shifting

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
I've experienced the same issue with APR S1 + DSG tune. I contacted APR and they said trans is essentially shifting maybe 25-50 rpm late and causing it to hit limiter. I've found it happens mostly when I experience front wheel slip, either coming out of a turn or when launching. The wheel slip causes rpm to rise more quickly and trans doesn't react fast enough I guess?

Baldilocks73

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf R

Baldilocks73

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
APRs hardware is very nice. Their software is not (at least for the past 3 VAG cars Ive owned). Next. :p

The same can be said for any other vendor software. I've had problems with UM and Revo as well as APR.

Jerin_L

Passed Driver's Ed
I've had APR Stage 1 HO Flash / DSG tune, and am now on Unitronics Stage 1+ / Stage 1 DSG tune. Both exhibit this behavior in D / S. You can replicate it with near 100 % success rate by immediately going wide open throttle from a stop while turning, for example turning onto a highway from a stop sign.

What I did find interesting though is with the APR tune, if I left the car in Manual mode, and let it auto upshift from 1st to 2nd, it wouldn't happen. It's almost as if there is inherit DSG shift logic to hold gears while turning, perhaps to keep from upsetting the balance of the car mid turn.

Last edited:

KLEEMANN1

Passed Driver's Ed
O.CT Tuning (Austria), for my money, has always provided the absolutely best VAG files I have ever driven. Sadly, they have zero dealer network in the USA. I have been able to get my past VAG cars of mine tuned via an industry friend who will loan me his OC.T flash programming tool.

markfhp

Geez, I WISH mine would do that!!

I have the opposite problem: it keeps upshifting when I autocross, rather than hold for a second or two at the limit as I would prefer. So I'm diving into a turnaround and suddenly realize I'm in *%&$-ing third gear. :)

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Geez, I WISH mine would do that!!

I have the opposite problem: it keeps upshifting when I autocross, rather than hold for a second or two at the limit as I would prefer. So I'm diving into a turnaround and suddenly realize I'm in *%&$-ing third gear. :)

Stock should stay in gear in S mode or manual mode. what's your VCDS scan show? If a solenoid is sticking it should show it. If it does take it to ta dealer.