GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spending the winter on 215/55/17?

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
The used winter wheel I just bought (OEM 2001 S4 wheels) came with Michelin X-Ice tires on them, but since the guy I bought them from had a Passat TDI, they're the wrong size. Now, I know that because these tires a a lot taller than the standard one, I'm going to be traveling faster than the indicated speed, but supposedly there's a way to adjust for that, already built into the car? (MIB2, "Winter tires" menu in the car settings.) The question is, will I run into any clearance issues?

I'm hoping I don't have to get new winter tires, since these have a ton of tread left on them, and in my experience, the 10mm tread width reduction does wonders when cutting through heavy snow, which we're supposed to get this year. but, it's not the end of the world if I have to replace them, since the price I paid for the wheels/tires was less than the price of aftermarket wheels alone, not including tax, shipping, new tires, etc.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
They're 1.2" bigger (overall diameter), so a 0.6" taller sidewall, than the stock GTI tires....just throw one on & do a test fit, IMO

And if they clear/fit....use them

JaeMK7

Update

Hi, i know it's an old post, but I'm now kn the same predicament, have a set of 215/55/17, were you able to put it on your GTI PP? Thank you!

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
They should fit. I'm certain I've seen posts of others running that size on MK7s. I don't think you can easily change the speedo error though, so you'll probably have to live with that.

AlphaGypsy

Ready to race!
You can see how far off it is pretty easily. You should have apple car play, just pull up Waze and it will tell you how fast you’re going.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Hi, i know it's an old post, but I'm now kn the same predicament, have a set of 215/55/17, were you able to put it on your GTI PP? Thank you!

The wheels (17" Audi Avus) fit over the PP brakes with good clearance, and the tires do not rub. As others mentioned, the speedometer error can be observed using Waze or any other navigation app, but since the error increases the faster you travel, and because the additional 10mm width will result in more grip on dry pavement, I'm planning to get a set of properly-sized winter tires this year.