GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 Golf R MK7.5 - US Release

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
I know it's considered bad form to link the "other guys," but for those who enjoy the debate as to which is better, DSG vs. MT, this will add fuel to the fire. Also, it's a decent (if short) review of the 2018 R. Finally, I like the pics. http://www.vwvortex.com/features/drove-new-seven-speed-golf-r-heres-thought/

Kind of a vague review, but interesting that he says the DSG programming is now more responsive. I always found it reliably annoying on my 2015 R — 6th gear engaged at well under 40 mph, seriously VW? — and eventually took care of that problem with an aftermarket TCU tune from Unitronic.

(As for DSG vs. MT... so not going there!)

Neil

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Kind of a vague review, but interesting that he says the DSG programming is now more responsive. I always found it reliably annoying on my 2015 R — 6th gear engaged at well under 40 mph, seriously VW? — and eventually took care of that problem with an aftermarket TCU tune from Unitronic.

(As for DSG vs. MT... so not going there!)

Neil
I too found that review a bit lacking in substance. The writer definitely has a bias for manual transmission. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, more of a personal preference kind of thing.

In the end, choose what fits your needs. I personally think that the manual in the R is well spaced gear to gear for stock tunes, but once you get some really good power mods going you're going to have to shift much sooner and more often.

COSturmWolke

Ready to race!
Hey guys, heads up! My dealer contacted me yesterday and let me know that orders are officially starting for the 2018 golf R. He called me right after a discussion with the regional rep. It was a little annoying because he couldn’t actually place the order at that time (typically, nothing was in the computer yet - so still don’t know which colors I can order - but likely going to get oryx white). I scheduled to go in next week to sign papers for the order. It might be finally happening! Hopefully then I will get better info about delivery times!

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Hey guys, heads up! My dealer contacted me yesterday and let me know that orders are officially starting for the 2018 golf R. He called me right after a discussion with the regional rep. It was a little annoying because he couldn’t actually place the order at that time (typically, nothing was in the computer yet - so still don’t know which colors I can order - but likely going to get oryx white). I scheduled to go in next week to sign papers for the order. It might be finally happening! Hopefully then I will get better info about delivery times!
I went to a local dealer on Saturday. They said that they likely wouldn't see golf R's until early next year... But, again we shall see how it goes.

B95zP

Ready to race!

Orders are starting, but he can't place the order....huh wha? Sounds like typical dealer BS IMO.

Supercup

Passed Driver's Ed

Well - hope this proves to be true in short order! saw this 2018 GT3 today at dealer and got me thinking - maybe I should not wait and just get this!

Attachments

• IMG_4506 sm.JPG
    IMG_4506 sm.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 1,000
Last edited:

KlipZ

Ready to race!
Well - hope this proves to be true in short order! saw this 2018 GT3 today at dealer and got me thinking - maybe I should not wait and just get this!

It looks so happy

B5AudiS4

2018 Golf R Seats (US Spec)

Has anyone seen the actual seats in a US spec 2018 Golf R?

Volkswagen’s Media release suggests they’ll have a new design and I’m curious what that will be. I’m hoping it’s the carbon/leather seats from several of the stock photos, which are largely from Euro spec vehicles for the interior. None of the footage released of the US spec shows the interior and the shots almost suggest that may be on purpose.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Has anyone seen the actual seats in a US spec 2018 Golf R?

Volkswagen’s Media release suggests they’ll have a new design and I’m curious what that will be. I’m hoping it’s the carbon/leather seats from several of the stock photos, which are largely from Euro spec vehicles for the interior. None of the footage released of the US spec shows the interior and the shots almost suggest that may be on purpose.
No one knows about the US Mk7.5 yet, unfortunately.

However, you can likely get good enough info from the Canadian Mk7.5 since they've been out for a while now. Looking at their Golf R build tool, the front seats look like they're ventilated leather. I wonder if that's the new design lol.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk