GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R is misfiring and dealer won't do sh*t!

sng

How do you clear number of misfire after installing new plugs and coils. Cause my obdeleven it's still displaying the old number of misfire

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

not sure why is that but did you fully closed the app? I kill the app every time I finished using it.

Dan84

Ready to race!
not sure why is that but did you fully closed the app? I kill the app every time I finished using it.
Will check but I think so might be wrong

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
You can increase the RPMS in VCDS or OBD 11 by about 50.

Side note . . if you turn on the AC right as you start the car, do you still get misfires?

Noize1

Ready to race!
IMHO, quality fuel, or better said, the lack of it has to be a factor here. The engine management system will immediately retard the ignition timing to prevent detonation from low octane gas. The fact that most of the fuel in our country (USA) is only 91 octane (dunno about CA) is the principle reason the GTIs and Rs sold here have less boost and 20 fewer hp than those sold in Europe. Fuel has to be a factor that plays in these misfires.

Completely wrong.

mad_sb

Passed Driver's Ed
My counts from yesterday, cool start. Interestingly, the counts occur after the kickdown from the initial high idle. It throws a few counts while driving but most at idle, and vast majority on cyl 4.

Crap, gotta convert / resize the screen cap...

Cylinder 1: 4
Cylinder 2: 3
Cylinder 3: 3
Cylinder 4: 49

This morning cold start, counts started as soon as it kicked down from high idle, stopped when I started driving:

Cylinder 1: 3
Cylinder 2: 0
Cylinder 3: 0
Cylinder 4: 22

Unfortunately, the service adviser gave the tech the wrong information so he cleared the codes before he saw the Antenna Circuit Open code from the KESSY system. I had to spend 20 minutes explaining to the tech what was going on and leave the car with them.

As for the P0300, he said it has the latest software and techline just told him to add an additive to the tank. He and I both agreed it is most likely just the monitor is too sensitive. Anoying as all hell because this will keep people from passing emissions. Some evo's had this problem (My VIII was one of them) and mitsu never addressed it. I ended up having to register my car in a county that did not have emissions at the time.

I'm going to call VWOA and get a case open, if for no other reason than so they can't say they were not aware.

Last edited:

nate704

Go Kart Champion
IMHO, quality fuel, or better said, the lack of it has to be a factor here. The engine management system will immediately retard the ignition timing to prevent detonation from low octane gas. The fact that most of the fuel in our country (USA) is only 91 octane (dunno about CA) is the principle reason the GTIs and Rs sold here have less boost and 20 fewer hp than those sold in Europe. Fuel has to be a factor that plays in these misfires.

https://find93.com/

"Thanks to our wonderful contributors so far, we have found gas stations serving 93 octane in 43/50 states in the U.S. including: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisana, Maine, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming!
We also have 11 stations on the map in Canada! In Surrey, British Columbia; and Barrie, Hamilton, Newcastle, Orléans, Pembroke, Thornhill, Toronto, Vaughan, Vineland, and Woodbridge, Ontario."

Noize1

Ready to race!
To support what mad_sb is saying, it's absurd to think fuel quality is the issue. Misfire is an ignition problem, and people's problems are all manifesting at idle, not under load.

ChrisTSI

Ready to race!
I have a similar issue with my 1.8t golf cylinder 3 misfire. Dealership did compression tests ect... they said ignition coils aren't the issue its a sensor thats bad and it only happens on cold starts... usually when im driving and give it a little too much gas, this happened before my jb4 ect... im worried it could be my piston and shit, but i have to remove my intake downpipe and jb4 to go to a dealer. I might just swap my coils to see if misfire changes thing is it happens rarely like im at 34k kms and maybe 20 times throughout its whole life.

mad_sb

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a similar issue with my 1.8t golf cylinder 3 misfire. Dealership did compression tests ect... they said ignition coils aren't the issue its a sensor thats bad and it only happens on cold starts... usually when im driving and give it a little too much gas, this happened before my jb4 ect... im worried it could be my piston and shit, but i have to remove my intake downpipe and jb4 to go to a dealer. I might just swap my coils to see if misfire changes thing is it happens rarely like im at 34k kms and maybe 20 times throughout its whole life.

So, you said "usually when im driving and give it a little too much gas" your talking about cold engine driving I assume?

You can swap coil packs around to see if it follows the coilpack. If not, then get a fresh set of plugs, pull and check the gap on your old ones and set the gap on the new ones down a couple ticks (if your current plugs are at .034 then try .032 for example) and see what you get.

I usually see the miss-fire counts at cold idle with no load (sitting in neutral for example) stops when I start driving.

buyingconstant7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 3 Door 6spd
Hey guys, so I never update the forum, but I did on Youtube since my videos were relatively popular,. After my last update almost a year ago, I thought all was well, they replaced the HPFP, and that seemed to work. Went 3 months with no problems, started to really enjoy the car, even ice raced it a couple times. But then the problems started coming back and not just engine problems. Things like parking sensors, front radar, blind spot monitoring, etc. I was done with it, and thankfully VW Canada was easy to deal with so I gave the car back and got my money back. I drove a cheap 2012 Focus around until about 2 months ago, when I bought a used mk7 GTI. However, something else has changed too, which is I'm now beginning as a technician at the dealer that I took the R to whenever it had issues. This misfiring issue is known on Mk7 R's(just a few, not all) and V6 2015+ Touaregs. It's a software update and is coming soon, if not already available, we have it as a bulletin on our tech board. My R was clearly a lemon, and I hope it can't curse anyone else out because I wanted to set fire to it, collect insurance money and move on.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Hey guys, so I never update the forum, but I did on Youtube since my videos were relatively popular,. After my last update almost a year ago, I thought all was well, they replaced the HPFP, and that seemed to work. Went 3 months with no problems, started to really enjoy the car, even ice raced it a couple times. But then the problems started coming back and not just engine problems. Things like parking sensors, front radar, blind spot monitoring, etc. I was done with it, and thankfully VW Canada was easy to deal with so I gave the car back and got my money back. I drove a cheap 2012 Focus around until about 2 months ago, when I bought a used mk7 GTI. However, something else has changed too, which is I'm now beginning as a technician at the dealer that I took the R to whenever it had issues. This misfiring issue is known on Mk7 R's(just a few, not all) and V6 2015+ Touaregs. It's a software update and is coming soon, if not already available, we have it as a bulletin on our tech board. My R was clearly a lemon, and I hope it can't curse anyone else out because I wanted to set fire to it, collect insurance money and move on.

I was told by my service adviser that the software update you're talking about is for a different issue and wouldn't have any affect on the misfiring.. He had specifically asked VW support about it after i brought it up. I was told a "software fix is coming soon" in April by the way when i first brought in my car.

How do you get a hold of VW Canada? They're sending some high up technician to look at my car since i'm having misfiring and ACC issues. They were shocked that "idling for 1 minute at startup" didn't solve the misfiring.

Also i'm 99% sure i know what videos you're talking about and i've seen them. I'm sure if you didn't have the fan following VW's reaction would have been very different to you. Aka i have little faith in them doing anything remotely close to that for me lol.

Last edited:

NyCSnEaK

I just got my first check engine come on this morning, right after starting the R. I’m wondering if it will clear on its own. Hope this is not a sign of things to come.

buyingconstant7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 3 Door 6spd
I was told by my service adviser that the software update you're talking about is for a different issue and wouldn't have any affect on the misfiring.. He had specifically asked VW support about it after i brought it up. I was told a "software fix is coming soon" in April by the way when i first brought in my car.

How do you get a hold of VW Canada? They're sending some high up technician to look at my car since i'm having misfiring and ACC issues. They were shocked that "idling for 1 minute at startup" didn't solve the misfiring.

Also i'm 99% sure i know what videos you're talking about and i've seen them. I'm sure if you didn't have the fan following VW's reaction would have been very different to you. Aka i have little faith in them doing anything remotely close to that for me lol.

Maybe they're talking about a different update because the software update for the R's and Touaregs are SPECIFICALLY to solve that misfiring when cold issue. VW Canada reached out to me, I never contacted them. They did the same for me, sent in a high up VW tech and they tried to figure it out. Turns out my car was a big part in this software update. I don't think I have 'fans', I just had a lot of attention and VW Canada knew it so they had to do something. Either way, raise hell with the dealer, make it a big deal and make their lives difficult so they reach out to VW Canada. Otherwise, call VW Canada customer service and raise hell with them. They'll do something, trust me.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Maybe they're talking about a different update because the software update for the R's and Touaregs are SPECIFICALLY to solve that misfiring when cold issue. VW Canada reached out to me, I never contacted them. They did the same for me, sent in a high up VW tech and they tried to figure it out. Turns out my car was a big part in this software update. I don't think I have 'fans', I just had a lot of attention and VW Canada knew it so they had to do something. Either way, raise hell with the dealer, make it a big deal and make their lives difficult so they reach out to VW Canada. Otherwise, call VW Canada customer service and raise hell with them. They'll do something, trust me.

It's just frustrating because the dealership has been very good to me. I know everyone there on a first name basis from being there pretty much monthly (for better or for worse). I love the car and i just want them to fix it so i don't have to worry about passing emissions moving forward (a CEL is an instant failure in Ontario). I've had the car for 14 months and 26,000km so i don't think they're buying it back hahah.

That could be interesting, when was that service bulletin released? When i was last told that the software update wasn't applicable was the end of the summer-ish.

Right now my plan is to let the "high level tech" take a look at the car and depending what he says that will decide my next course of action.

Thank you for your post, it is very nice to hear someone leaving this with a favourable outcome. I'll definitely reach out to VW Canada if this "high level tech" can't fix it.

I just got my first check engine come on this morning, right after starting the R. I’m wondering if it will clear on its own. Hope this is not a sign of things to come.

Mine comes on approx. 10 seconds after starting the car (when it isn't already on). Out of the 5 or 6 times this has happened it's only cleared itself once (the first time). Every other time i've gone to the dealership to document it and then let them clear it. It could be anything so just scan it and ask, don't clear it yourself just take it to the dealership to clear. The first time it happens they brush you off or just tell you to switch gas stations anyhow.