GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

6MT trans selector lock lever & what to do if it breaks

KLEEMANN1

Passed Driver's Ed
Yesterday I was installing solid cable end bushings and a short shift kit on my R. During this process one is required to lock the trans selector in its home position with the small lever on the trans. While working on the car I got a few phone calls in the shop and lost track of where I was procedurally. I came back to the car and was torquing the shifter arm nut to 15 lbs feet when I heard the *snap* [emoji20]

Obviously the lock pin has no business being engaged when torquing the selector arm nut, I had simply gotten sloppy and forgotten the lever was engaged. Balls. Now to fix it.

I had read numerous posts about people just letting it be, and even a few suggestions of “run it, maybe drain the oil and hope it comes out, it’s only plastic”. Umm...no. It’s actually plastic coated STEEL & the inside of that gearbox is essentially a $40k USD 292hp shredder. There was NFW my car was moving until I had found that miserable hunk of metal.

Here is what to do if this happens to you:

Remove the selector tower

Special tool substitute: 12” cabinet tip flat blade screw driver.

Get a telescoping magnet and start fishing in the oil directly beneath where the selector tower resides. Eventually you should find the small black plastic/steel rod.

Now pull out the 90 degree arm from the lock mechanism. It won’t take much force. Then thread in a 1” long lag bolt, I used a 3/8”. Thread in only far enough to get a good bite on the threads. Pull/pry on the bolt head and the lock will come out. The lock is an interference fit, and has no orientation per se.

Blow compressed air from the interior of the trans side of the lock hole to clear debris. Use a mirror to check the bore.

Press in the new lock pin mechanism 02J 301 358C ($20 from the dealer).

Reassemble the selector tower.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KLEEMANN1

Passed Driver's Ed
50 years of accumulating tools and I'd never heard that term before – had to look it up. Not even 9 o'clock on a Monday morning and I've already learned something new. Thanks!

Neil

[emoji106][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigdave79

Ready to race!
Just found this thread. My locking pin broke maybe 6 months ago. I'm going to try and do this repair. Is there a lot of transmission fluid that leaks when doing this? Do I need to change the oil? Can all the bolts be reused? TIA!

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
I just had this happen to me during s clutch job but can't seem to get the damn shifter shaft back into place in the forks. I'm afraid a fork was moved while I was trying to take it out

dopo

Any tips on how to remove that reverse sensor? It looks like the only way is a gigantic deep well socket of undetermined size.

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
Any tips on how to remove that reverse sensor? It looks like the only way is a gigantic deep well socket of undetermined size.

Yes exactly that. I forgot the size sorry.. but had to go through this myself. It’s an excellent post/thread and helped me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
I know the thread is old but how did you press the pin back in?
i honestly forgot. But looking back at the pics of the OP i do remember it is an interference fit like he said. After everything was installed back I also remember pushing the pin in to lock the mechanism was a bit hard but can be done. I dont think changing this part out was that difficult, especially after doing a clutch job this is cake. but it's important to fish out the broken piece as it contains metal encapsulated in plastic sheath. Otherwise it can be chewed up in the tranny gears like OP said. Good luck!!

Mrroman1989

Car(s)
MK7 R
i honestly forgot. But looking back at the pics of the OP i do remember it is an interference fit like he said. After everything was installed back I also remember pushing the pin in to lock the mechanism was a bit hard but can be done. I dont think changing this part out was that difficult, especially after doing a clutch job this is cake. but it's important to fish out the broken piece as it contains metal encapsulated in plastic sheath. Otherwise it can be chewed up in the tranny gears like OP said. Good luck!!
I had to remove the tower due to the previous owner doing some less than stellar DIY work. In the process I broke the pin, I was able to get it out with no issues and fish out the broken bit but trying to press it back in has been the difficult part hopefully I can figure it out before it gets to cold. Thank you.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Guess mines swimming in there. Been 10K miles with no issues.

KLEEMANN1

Passed Driver's Ed
Nearly 5 years later....IM BAAAAACK, to answer Qs far far too late.

Pushing the new lock pin in is just a question of force. I used a sacrificial 1/4 drive deep socket with a winodw cut out of one side for the "arm". A bit of silicone/grease and a light tap, and its home.

As for the shifter tower: you have to press back the spring loaded detent ball with either the special tool, or a very long skinny flat blade screwdriver. Be patient, and don't force anything, it will go back in.

Pickleahoy

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Anyone wanting to install a short throw shift kit just dont lock the dumb shifter stack. You can find neutral easily if you happen to shift out while unlocked, and you can remove or torque the nut by going into gear momentarily.