Votes: 12 35.3%
  • No

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • I haven't loosened the bolts but still want to vote on something

Votes: 13 38.2%

• Total voters

AR11

Ready to race!
I'm curious about the prevalence of clunking issues after removing subframe bolts.

Reasons I can think of for removing these bolts include installing front sway bar, replacing the bolts with aftermarket, replacing subframe with aluminum unit, perhaps installing control arms, etc.

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
I don't have any clunking, but I'm still on the steel subframe. The only reports I've seen had to do with the a3/s3 aluminum subframe.

B95zP

Ready to race!
I have. A friend suggested maybe it was because after removing the subframe, and torquing it back down w/o load on the suspension it wasn't seated well.

Recently installed the Revo torque mount, and I had to drop the subframe due to a FSB, this time though I didn't remove the wheels and used ramps. So far it seems quiet, but I've not pushed it too much.

AR11

Ready to race!
If you answered "yes" please also make a note of whether you are using the stock subframe or one of the aluminum alternatives. I'm also hoping to get a sense of how that plays in to this.

I have. A friend suggested maybe it was because after removing the subframe, and torquing it back down w/o load on the suspension it wasn't seated well.

Recently installed the Revo torque mount, and I had to drop the subframe due to a FSB, this time though I didn't remove the wheels and used ramps. So far it seems quiet, but I've not pushed it too much.

I don't think that is the case because the load of the vehicle is primarily carried by the strut towers (well, spring perches in the rear). You may be on to something but I wouldn't advise anyone to set the weight of the car on the wheels without the subframe bolted in place because the subframe provides the lateral stability.

The subframe will cary load as you apply lateral Gs to the car as in making a turn. If I were to try to re-torque my own subframe I'd probably do so in the air, then do a bit of slalom and driveway entry on a road and then recheck bolts with the car back in the air.

AR11

Ready to race!
Please also respond if you developed a subframe clunk WITHOUT removing the bolts (but only if you are certain it is the subframe and not shocks, camber plates, sway bar links etc).

AR11

Ready to race!
I've come to the realization that this poll is pretty uninformative because the bottom line is that most people fiddling with suspension (subframe or not) are getting some kind of noise so its impossible to attribute this outcome to the subframe.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I had that problem with the stock bolts on my mk6, but the "shear bolts" they used were prone to bending so I replaced them with normal stretch bolts and never had another problem

Always replace and properly torque stretch bolts, problem solved

kraakmo

Car(s)
'17 Golf R
I’ve been experiencing some shifting/clunking, “loose/unbalanced” feeling over expansion joints, and pulling to left under acceleration after clutch install. For short term, did the 034 Dogbone insert. That helped some of the slop, but the creaking noises and “unjarred” feeling remain.

ESC subframe bolt kit is on order, which will replace all of my subframe bolts, and I will (myself) correctly torque them, including final steps (to yield). If that doesn’t fix the issue, will be dead set kit for me!

jezw

Car(s)
Scirocco
HI guys, I know I'm later to the party but please check this and spread the word

https://twitter.com/jezwharton1987

I am currently pushing VW/AUDI/SKODA/SEAT to recall and fix this issue as it nearly killed me and my 6 year old girl the other day

I had VW look at my car and they said its fine, within 1000 miles I was nearly dead along with my kid - not even going fast (the car is too unstable to even thinking about it!)

Don't pay out your own pocket lads, if you have already you are due a rebate.

Hope this helps.