GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 US Golf R - tow hitch possible?

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
Never towing, I only carry bicycles or fishing gear and don't fear warranty service with Torklift's EcoHitch, which I like a lot.

jlivingood

Passed Driver's Ed
I have an ecohitch, it's not difficult to install (if you have the proper tools) and you wouldn't even notice it's there unless you have the bike rack hooked up.

https://torkliftcentral.com/2015-2017-volkswagen-golf-r-ecohitch

Considering this one as well. I think it's a toss up between that one and the Curt. Tough call. Curt seems easier/faster to install but is more apparent visually from the rear. The Ecohitch is more stealthy, but more complicated to install and involves cutting the rear valence a bit. Hmmmm....

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion

CURT

It’s about a 20-30 minute install. I didn’t even have to jack up my car lol. You will if you’re lowered. The thing works GREAT!! I paid $125 with a euro ball! Had to get a second 1 7/8 hutch and I’m setup. For about $150 I replaced my entire race van because of this hitch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I too was going to recommend the ecohitch. Much more secure mounting than the curt. I've heard the curt also tends to bottom out easily from some owners.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
I too was going to recommend the ecohitch. Much more secure mounting than the curt. I've heard the curt also tends to bottom out easily from some owners.

The curt hitch bolts directly to the frame in four points with grade 8 hardware. Don’t kid yourself.
Never bottomed out either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

babarnicle

I’ve had the Torklift hitch on my 2016 R for 2 years now. Works great. Can haul up to 2 bikes that are not overly heavy. I got the smaller receiver so it’s out of the way and not very noticeable between the exhaust tips.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
if you slam the car to the ground yeah lol

More along the lines of depending on where you live and drive. Those who complained about the curt bottoming out were those who have a steep transition on their driveway with stock suspension. There were also a few that traveled on crap roads that had the curt hitch bottom out.

jlivingood

Passed Driver's Ed
I’ve had the Torklift hitch on my 2016 R for 2 years now. Works great. Can haul up to 2 bikes that are not overly heavy. I got the smaller receiver so it’s out of the way and not very noticeable between the exhaust tips.

Yeah, but I guess what I am suggesting is the rear lower trim on the 7.5 is different from the 7, meaning that the Torklift may not work (since that requires cutting the trim IIRC).

jlivingood

Passed Driver's Ed
Question for Curt hitch owners:

Reading the instructions online suggests I have to use a die grinder to enlarge a couple of holes. But I've not seen anyone mention that in the threads here. For those of you that installed one of the Curt hitches on your R, did you find you had to do a bit of that grinding or did it bolt together without that?

Thanks