GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > MK7 photos, videos, media


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2017, 05:26 AM   #698
gti330ex
Senior Member
 
Drives: golf
Location: USA
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 371
^that's hot

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
gti330ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:32 AM   #699
psychonosspaz
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2016 White VW GTI SE 6 MT (PP, LP, MMs)
Location: Olympia, WA (PNW)
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by xl1200r View Post
Just added VWR springs and ECS spacers.


How was the install? How does it ride? Any issues with clearance?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
| 20 miles on odometer |
psychonosspaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:03 PM   #700
xl1200r
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2016 Golf GTI
Location: Albany, NY
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 260
No clearance issues. The ride is noticeably firmer, but not obnoxious and still retains composure over rough pavement. It's not a night and day difference, but you'll notice. Anyone who rides in the car who you didn't tell probably won't notice anything.

The install was much easier than I expected. I had ordered the install kit from ECS and really can't fathom how anyone would possibly need most of the hardware they included.

Left side was cake - remove lower strut pinch bolt and sway bar links on both sides so it will move out of the way, then slide the spindle off, 3 top strut mount bolts and remove. Install new spring on the strut and reinstall.

Right side was the same, but needed to unbolt the ball joint and axle from the spindle.

The rear was cake - 3 bolts per side for the spindle, shock mount and sway bar link, plus the two holding the ride height sensor.

Right now, my headlights don't seem to be off, but I'll reset them on the laptop just to be sure. Alignment also yet to be done after I have a few miles on them.

I did this with a friend who is a professional mechanic and has a fully equipped home shop with air, lift, strut compressor, etc, so it was easier than most who are trying to do this in a driveway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonosspaz View Post
How was the install? How does it ride? Any issues with clearance?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Pure White 2016 2-door Golf GTI S manual w/ PP, LP
SSK, solid shift bushings, clutch delay delete, VWR springs, P-Flo intake
xl1200r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:14 PM   #701
psychonosspaz
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2016 White VW GTI SE 6 MT (PP, LP, MMs)
Location: Olympia, WA (PNW)
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by xl1200r View Post
No clearance issues. The ride is noticeably firmer, but not obnoxious and still retains composure over rough pavement. It's not a night and day difference, but you'll notice. Anyone who rides in the car who you didn't tell probably won't notice anything.



The install was much easier than I expected. I had ordered the install kit from ECS and really can't fathom how anyone would possibly need most of the hardware they included.



Left side was cake - remove lower strut pinch bolt and sway bar links on both sides so it will move out of the way, then slide the spindle off, 3 top strut mount bolts and remove. Install new spring on the strut and reinstall.



Right side was the same, but needed to unbolt the ball joint and axle from the spindle.



The rear was cake - 3 bolts per side for the spindle, shock mount and sway bar link, plus the two holding the ride height sensor.



Right now, my headlights don't seem to be off, but I'll reset them on the laptop just to be sure. Alignment also yet to be done after I have a few miles on them.



I did this with a friend who is a professional mechanic and has a fully equipped home shop with air, lift, strut compressor, etc, so it was easier than most who are trying to do this in a driveway.


Think I will pry skip wheels and do this same setup - just upgrade tires when these burn up.....since 034 install the tires are much more planted on the ground, so I may conserve stock tires for now


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
| 20 miles on odometer |
psychonosspaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:20 PM   #702
riceburner
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2015 GTI SE
Location: West Chicagoland
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 455
Name:  20161209_101519 (Medium).jpg
Views: 370
Size:  331.0 KB

Name:  20161209_111105 (Medium).jpg
Views: 371
Size:  243.6 KB

Name:  20161030_101852.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  150.7 KB
__________________
Apr Stg1 93 Tune, Fluidampr, VWR600, Magnfalow CBE, Boomba DV Spacer, LP Reps, Euro Tails, ECS Spacers, Maxton spoiler, front lip, list goes on!!
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18416
riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:51 AM   #703
baymax7
Junior Member
 
Drives: 16' GTI S DSG Pure White
Location: California
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 3
baymax7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:34 PM   #704
psychonosspaz
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2016 White VW GTI SE 6 MT (PP, LP, MMs)
Location: Olympia, WA (PNW)
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 479
Got to get rid of front plate!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
| 20 miles on odometer |
psychonosspaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:27 PM   #705
hexxum001
Senior Member
 
hexxum001's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 VW GTI S PW 6MT 2Dr
Location: L.A./SoCal
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonosspaz View Post
Got to get rid of front plate!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He's in California. Front plate is mandatory here unfortunately.
__________________
CTS Turbo Intake, Inlet Pipe & CBE - Emmanuele Design Springs & Rear Sway Bar - Neuspeed Catted Downpipe - Boomba Racing DV Adapter & Shift Knob - Spulen Spacers - DeAutoLED - Ziza - Build date 05/2016
hexxum001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:30 PM   #706
riceburner
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2015 GTI SE
Location: West Chicagoland
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 455
i'd get rid of mine even though it's mandatory, but i tried and left behind a bunch of ugly holes and scuffmarks
__________________
Apr Stg1 93 Tune, Fluidampr, VWR600, Magnfalow CBE, Boomba DV Spacer, LP Reps, Euro Tails, ECS Spacers, Maxton spoiler, front lip, list goes on!!
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18416
riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:58 PM   #707
hexxum001
Senior Member
 
hexxum001's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 VW GTI S PW 6MT 2Dr
Location: L.A./SoCal
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceburner View Post
i'd get rid of mine even though it's mandatory, but i tried and left behind a bunch of ugly holes and scuffmarks
The holes can be filled but then you are just begging to get pulled over. Trust me, it's not worth the hassle. I hate my front plate but not enough to have to deal with a fix-it ticket for not having a front plate.
__________________
CTS Turbo Intake, Inlet Pipe & CBE - Emmanuele Design Springs & Rear Sway Bar - Neuspeed Catted Downpipe - Boomba Racing DV Adapter & Shift Knob - Spulen Spacers - DeAutoLED - Ziza - Build date 05/2016
hexxum001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:14 PM   #708
allan1229
Junior Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 21
Name:  IMG_20161227_121328.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  98.6 KB
allan1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:55 PM   #709
Kylemoney01
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2016 gti 6mt
Location: Maryland
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan1229 View Post


Where did you the colored trim for the fog lights.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2016 gti pure white 6mt.forge bov. To install fifteen52 tarmacs 18s,rev9 catless downpipe. Bfi coilovers. BMS jb4
Kylemoney01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:34 AM   #710
allan1229
Junior Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylemoney01 View Post
Where did you the colored trim for the fog lights.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did it myself with vinyl wrap
allan1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:26 PM   #711
t1m1t
Junior Member
 
Drives: GTI
Location: SoCal
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexxum001 View Post
He's in California. Front plate is mandatory here unfortunately.
I'm in California too. As stated, it is mandatory to have front plates, but my past three cars have not had a front plate (including my GTI), as well as my mother's cars. Both have yet to be pulled over for a fix-it ticket (knock on wood). I guess it really depends on which area you're in and the attitude of the police within that area.
t1m1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:08 PM   #712
Sandman GTI
Senior Member
 
Sandman GTI's Avatar
 
Drives: GTI MK7 Autobahn, PP, DCC+LP, 97 F-150 4.6L V8
Location: Tennessee USA
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 5,209
What is the purpose given why front plates needed?
I wonder if people voted would it change?
Would need a good safety reason to keep I would think.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
Sandman
My Build Thread: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6100
Sandman GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:09 PM   #713
crxgator
Senior Member
 
crxgator's Avatar
 
Drives: Vans Authentic
Location: Raleigh, NC / Kingston, NY
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 202
Easier for PO to identify the car.
__________________
2017 GTI Sport - Pacesetter muffler, AZ intake, Andy's Autosport body kit, Supra tail light conversion, American Racing rimz, eBay Racing lowering springs, your girl in my passenger seat.
crxgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:16 AM   #714
xl1200r
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2016 Golf GTI
Location: Albany, NY
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman GTI View Post
What is the purpose given why front plates needed?
I wonder if people voted would it change?
Would need a good safety reason to keep I would think.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
No safety reason, but for the popo to ID the car. And now more than ever, with many having plate scanners facing front and rear, the officer can be alerted to a car driving with an expired or stolen tag, or if the owner has a revoked license, warrant, etc, automatically, from behind or in front.
__________________
Pure White 2016 2-door Golf GTI S manual w/ PP, LP
SSK, solid shift bushings, clutch delay delete, VWR springs, P-Flo intake
xl1200r is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.