GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone had a real fix from a dealership on the rattling/creaking sunroof and/or the h

themagicpacket

Passed Driver's Ed
My apologies, your post seemed a bit condescending as well. I don't doubt that other lubricants will help, but I do know that there are moving parts rattling and that can't be helped with a lubricant. And in climates like MN, I don't know that any lubricant can help when it's -30.

all good. lets just move forward and try to fix your issue. I know how irritating these creaks in the sunroof assembly are. makes the car feel cheap. have you had a chance to lube the rear weather stripping and teeth?

MidnightinGotham

Passed Driver's Ed
all good. lets just move forward and try to fix your issue. I know how irritating these creaks in the sunroof assembly are. makes the car feel cheap. have you had a chance to lube the rear weather stripping and teeth?

I'm going to attempt to get the hatch/bumper rubbing issue resolved soon and will ask them to look at the sunroof one more time. If that still doesn't solve it, I will purchase the other lubricant mentioned in this thread.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
A snarky reply but a true one. I removed the rattles in both my 15 and 16 GTIs by getting a 17 Sport.

angelsfanswa

Passed Driver's Ed
I used a silicone lubricant on the rear seal, and it helped a lot. This was my first sunroof to rattle. Even the pano on my GSW didn't rattle.

Had I suspected it would rattle, I'd gone sport trim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sparkyr

Passed Driver's Ed
I took a small dowel about 36" long and taped a wad of paper towel on the end. I put a liberal amount of silicone lube on it and reached all the way across under the open glass panel, lubing all surfaces that looked like they made contact with non-glass areas. I also lubed the tracks for the glass and shade. It really helped and now I rarely hear anything like the buzzy rattle I used to hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MidnightinGotham

Passed Driver's Ed
The dealership I recently brought my car to uses Zep 2000 for sunroof lubricant; thoughts?

NYDave

So, a month or so ago I filled out a survey from VW about my 2017 GTI. Today I got a call from a VW Customer Quality Engineer who wanted to get more details about my complaint that the sunroof rattles/creaks when closed and driven on rough surfaces. I told him I got temporary relief (about 2 months) from this issue when I lubed the rear seal with gummi pfledge (sp?). He told me there was a TSB that should fix the problem permanently, then sent me the following info:

"The TSB number for the GTI sunroof creaking is 60-16-03. As I mentioned, this TSB will soon be released for MY17, and any VW dealership will be able to perform it on your car."

He also said they are aware of a couple of other problems with their sunroofs and that they were working on solutions to to those too.

Anyway, I hope this TSB number is useful. My local dealer is so terrible I don't know what I'll do. So far, the second application of the gummi pfledge is working for me.

MidnightinGotham

Passed Driver's Ed
come on guys, read the thread comments. lube the rear sunroof weatherstripping with some sil glyde. You can pick some up from Napa for $14.00

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7651346

This will fix the rattling and creaking when going over uneven surfaces or crappy roads. I had the same issue you all are complaining about. I had the "rattling" sound from the center console. This fixed the issue. Car is silent now.

How about this stuff?