GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

wax treatment, how often

dduck

Passed Driver's Ed
Get yourself a jug of Meguiar's Gold Class Shampoo, Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax (Spray on) from Amazon or Walmart, any place that sells car care stuff. Then a couple buckets, and grit guards, a GOOD wash mitt, and a few dual pile microfiber towels from theragcompany.com.

Good reading for getting started:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AutoDetailing/wiki/index

I'm now seeing you're in the UK so my recommendations as to where to buy things may not be best. The link is good reading though and will show you what you should be looking for.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
I use Turtle wax shampoo to wash the car.

How often would you apply a wax and what is the best shampoo

Apply as often as required (when the warer beading reduces a lot) , there isn't a best shampoo.
Remember wax is a sacrificial layer so you would expect it to erode after a time .

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Well, waxes offer you protection, best case scenario, for a few weeks. Tops. So it depends, how often do you mind spending some time with your car? Lol.

I have grown to believe that if one is going to go through the effort, for the same price, get a good spray sealant that offers you a few months instead. You're going to be wiping your hand across the same spots anyways, why not lay down something with some synthetics in it? If you choose sealants, you should lose the shampoos with waxes in them altogether. If you choose waxes, true caranuba waxes(I.E. nothing that says synthetic on the bottle anywhere), to maintain a protective layer and gloss application will be every other month or so. It doesn't hold up as well in sunny, warm climates as it does cooler ones. It also washes away easier during your maintenance washes. Sealants usually don't care about the environment as much though, and hold up to cleanings better. But, like waxes, there are cheap sealants, and there are expensive ones, some do the same while others stand out.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
The VW gods like sacrifices! Muhahahaha!

I've done years of the car cleaning thing, yep a good polish and followed by a wax will see any panels good, keeping the panels water repellant will keep the car looking showroom for years, as for brands?.... TW has been going for decades so can't be that bad, some esoteric brands come and go quickly with verion 2 and 3 of their already best on the market....:rolleyes:

protocall

Passed Driver's Ed
TW has been going for decades so can't be that bad

Unfortunately, that logic doesn't always apply to consumer products. Take Armor All for example...It's been around forever but most detailers will tell you not to let that crap within 10ft of your car.

Collinite 845 is commonly regarded as the longest lasting wax and best bang for the buck (or quid).

I second Meguiars gold class wash. Their waxes and polishes also get top reviews in the detailing community.

Can't really go wrong with them, CarPro, or Optimum products.

Another vote for Reddit.com/r/autodetailing.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I use Turtle wax shampoo to wash the car.

How often would you apply a wax and what is the best shampoo

Snow foam by Chemical guys is good even if you do not power spray on. A little goes a long way. Honey Dew scent!

IronX - for light color cars. Every 6 months. Removed rust stains. A must on pure white. On dark cars it works also to clean, but rust spots not as easy to see. But will help insure good clean surface also on dark before sealing or waxing.

Sonax makes some good paint protection products. Water heads for months after application. I try to apply every 6 months. I wax my roof which is glass/painted metal and wrapped with gloss 3M film. I find the wax helps with small scratches in the film and works well on glass.

Billy Baldone1

Ready to race!
Since you live in the UK, you should be able to get Sonax Polymer Netshield. It lasts 6-8 months easily. I se it on all non coated customer cars. Spray the applicator instead of the paint. It works esier that way

F80Dreamer

Passed Driver's Ed
I am a big fan of ceramic coatings like CQuartz, 22PLE, etc...I put them on all my cars, incredible water beading and results last at least a couple of years.

Mousa

Passed Driver's Ed
I am a big fan of ceramic coatings like CQuartz, 22PLE, etc...I put them on all my cars, incredible water beading and results last at least a couple of years.

Interested in Cquartz. Have any tips or advice?

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Unfortunately, that logic doesn't always apply to consumer products. Take Armor All for example...It's been around forever but most detailers will tell you not to let that crap within 10ft of your car.

Collinite 845 is commonly regarded as the longest lasting wax and best bang for the buck (or quid).

I second Meguiars gold class wash. Their waxes and polishes also get top reviews in the detailing community.

Yep tried the Collinite thing, sadly it never met the hype for longtivity

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
Best bang for buck wax is 1Z Hartglanz in my opinion.

Lasts about 6 months if applied to claybarred, clean paint via DA machine.

Is absolutely gorgeous since it has natural wax in it.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion

Agree, from what I have been told and researched myself, avoid TW overall. Could be wrong, but I feel they're product line is aged, like Blue Coral lol.