GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.8T Eco-Performance Build

newcarsmell

Go Kart Champion
Thank you for the comments guys! I really like to hear your input and opinions. It helps me decide what to do next with the car.

So far, my impressions of the car after lowering with the H&R Race Springs in combination with my 25mm Neuspeed Rear sway bar is that my car has much improved handling and cornering ability. The car does not have much body roll at all during sharp or high speed turns. This set up instilled a lot more confidence in my car's handling abilities. Currently my A3 sedan handles much better than my mk6 GTi with the same mods.

The only significant drawback to the H&R lowering springs is the car is much stiffer in the sense of shock absorption due to the shortened travel length of the spring. Small bumps, pot holes, and shitty roads feel noticeably harsher. Initially I wanted to change back to stock springs immediately because of the decreased ride comfort however I decided to take a canyon drive and superb way the car handled with the new suspension mods on the mountain road made me reconsider going back to stock. The handling is really amazing at the expense of comfort. I'll see how I feel after a couple thousand more miles of driving.

Road/ driveway clearance has been no issue.

newcarsmell

Go Kart Champion
Jerry from Neuspeed dropped off this part for me today. Yay for more new car parts. From my experience, upgrading your turbo discharge piping from oem to a wider diameter pipe improves throttle response which in turn improves acceleration. I'm looking forward to installing the discharge pipe but it will have to wait till I have access to a lift or jack stands.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
So I decide to lower the car on H&R Race Springs. The car is considerably lower, and handles like it is glued to the ground. The ride is much firmer than stock although not uncomfortable. I might consider raising the car again if I feel the ride is too stiff since this is my daily and I drive on some rough roads.

I also installed a Magnaflow catback exhaust since I got a killer deal. Seems like the car is able to accelerate a tiny bit better in the top end however it could just be placebo effect from the new added noise lol.

I like the lowered look, but under stand the downside. From talking to a Euro shop I am not sure coil overs are an answer. Would be nice to test drive a coil over car. The cat looks good. How does the NPM feel? Track the car again yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
I understand as well in regards to the springs. You feel the potholes, cracks, bumps, and pretty much all other road imperfections... Sometimes I feel like going back to stock or another set of springs for more comfort but I'm reminded of how nice it sits and how it feels on a nice curvy road.

I wish I've gone A3 as well lol! Car looks really nice.

newcarsmell

Go Kart Champion
I like the lowered look, but under stand the downside. From talking to a Euro shop I am not sure coil overs are an answer. Would be nice to test drive a coil over car. The cat looks good. How does the NPM feel? Track the car again yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I tracked the car with the NPM, Rear sway bar, and upgraded wheels/tires. The sway bar increased the car's rear end stiffness by a huge ordeal and helps reduce a large amount of body roll. This increases your stability during hard turns by keeping the car nice and flat. There is still noticeable body roll however it is much less intrusive than stock. The NPM definitely makes the straight line acceleration less boring however it is by no means powerful. It feels like a stock mk6 GTi Except the NPM A3 has more torque. I think the 3rd gear on my A3 is particularly longer than my gti's gearing and it takes quite a while to accelerate However the excellent handling makes this car incredibly fun to throw around corners. The sumitomo HTR ZIII is one of the best budget max performance summer tire around and I would not hesitate to track them again.

I have not tracked my A3 with the the H&R Race springs installed.
I also have a set of Bilstein Sport shocks from my mk6 but I'm not sure if they can be used on the mqb platform.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Discharge pipe for the 2.0 the same as 1.8?

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Interest in brake upgrades? Esp after track day? Apologies if you covered this...

newcarsmell

Go Kart Champion
I definitely want I upgrade my brake pads and stainless steel lines. The OEM pads will not survive a heavy track day. My stopping power was greatly diminished after the first two track sessions. Upgrading to the GTi PP 340mm rotors would also be nice.

I looked at stoptech st-41 4pot kits for the mk7 platform and they still cost about $1600.

I can get the neuspeed 6pot Kit for $1600 as well, but rotors are not included. It would cost about $1900 to do a bbk with neuspeed calipers vs $1600 for Stoptech.

I think I'm just sticking with pads and lines upgrades for now since my 1.8T only makes around 200hp I don't need that much stopping power.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I definitely want I upgrade my brake pads and stainless steel lines. The OEM pads will not survive a heavy track day. My stopping power was greatly diminished after the first two track sessions. Upgrading to the GTi PP 340mm rotors would also be nice.

I looked at stoptech st-41 4pot kits for the mk7 platform and they still cost about $1600.

I can get the neuspeed 6pot Kit for $1600 as well, but rotors are not included. It would cost about $1900 to do a bbk with neuspeed calipers vs $1600 for Stoptech.

I think I'm just sticking with pads and lines upgrades for now since my 1.8T only makes around 200hp I don't need that much stopping power.

Smart. Also, just know that the PP GTI brakes weigh a TON. As someone who tracks their car, IF you ever get a brake upgrade, you would appreciate the unsprung weight savings of Stoptech.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Could do a TTRS or Porsche kit for less than that I'm sure... car looks great btw!

newcarsmell

Go Kart Champion
Could do a TTRS or Porsche kit for less than that I'm sure... car looks great btw!

Yes, it would cost around $800-1000 for a Ttrs or Porsche kit however with those kits you would sacrifice OEM brake pedal feel because the oem master cylinder is not designed to work with those bigger brakes. The big brake kits from Stoptech will retain the oem factory brake pedal travel and feel.