GOLFMKV

Clubsport S Muffler Thread

Have you ordered a CSS muffler?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincenz

Ready to race!
If we can assume that the differences, if any, between CSS/CS mufflers and CSS/GTI resonators are negligible for comparison's sake, then the only outliers are the NA/ROW engines and the CS resonator. Only way to further narrow this down would be for some in NA to get the same CS setup to compare.

I don't find feher's setup to be quite as offensive. Therefore I can assume that the CS resonator helps with the exhaust note on non-clubsport/s cars. We have to remember that clubsport/s cars have different ECU map, specifically tuned along with the clubsport exhaust systems to create the nice sounds it has. GTI of course lacks this, and as a result does not sound as good even with a CSS muffler. A stock GTI sounds better than with a CSS muffler tacked on, to my ears.

But I guess if you are in the camp of people to love fart cars and the ricey sound, then you probably can't distinguish this anyway. For those with more discerning tastes, there are definitely better options.

Last edited:

jayrm14

Passed Driver's Ed
Nype you can only install CS muffler using a piece like these

the flange and the two supports are included!

I'll comment on more impressions.

Regards guys!

First of all thank you feher! And just for clarification, you only ordered:

Ref. CS resonator 5Q0253209FM
Ref. CS muffler 5G6253609AN

Did the pipe that connects the the resonator to the muffler come with it? Or was that made by your installer?

Thanks!

feher_90

Passed Driver's Ed
If we can assume that the differences, if any, between CSS/CS mufflers and CSS/GTI resonators are negligible for comparison's sake, then the only outliers are the NA/ROW engines and the CS resonator. Only way to further narrow this down would be for some in NA to get the same CS setup to compare.

I don't find feher's setup to be quite as offensive. Therefore I can assume that the CS resonator helps with the exhaust note on non-clubsport/s cars. We have to remember that clubsport/s cars have different ECU map, specifically tuned along with the clubsport exhaust systems to create the nice sounds it has. GTI of course lacks this, and as a result does not sound as good even with a CSS muffler. A stock GTI sounds better than with a CSS muffler tacked on, to my ears.

But I guess if you are in the camp of people to love fart cars and the ricey sound, then you probably can't distinguish this anyway. For those with more discerning tastes, there are definitely better options.

I do not quite understand what NA / ROW means in English, can you explain it to me?

NA = natural aspiration?
ROW ??????

Next week, I will install the APR Carbon fiber intake, APR stage 1 and APR TCU for dsg..

it's possible that by changing the ecu parameters, change the exhaust sound.

feher_90

Passed Driver's Ed
First of all thank you feher! And just for clarification, you only ordered:

Ref. CS resonator 5Q0253209FM
Ref. CS muffler 5G6253609AN

Did the pipe that connects the the resonator to the muffler come with it? Or was that made by your installer?

Thanks!

yes, I ordered those two references.

The union flange is included with the resonator, and the two CS brackets are included with the muffler.

I ordered from kunzmann, I do not know if other sellers also include flange and brackets ..

The pipe with the reduction and the resonator is one piece

Vincenz

Ready to race!
I do not quite understand what NA / ROW means in English, can you explain it to me?

NA = natural aspiration?

ROW ??????

Next week, I will install the APR Carbon fiber intake, APR stage 1 and APR TCU for dsg..

NA = North America
ROW = rest of world

That's kind common "Volkswagen speak". In ETKA several parts are indicated by NA and ROW.

Let me say, the brackets and clamp commonly DO NOT come as standard with the resonator
and muffler. Only Kunzmann (and perhaps some others) send the resonator complete with clamp
and the muffler with the rubber mounts.

MattB1

Ready to race!
Matt, there's a lot of difference in sound since you installed it, to this day?

I only did 70km and I feel that every time it is sounding a little better.

Yes, it sounds quite different now to when it was first installed, I think when the inside off the muffler gets coated with soot it changes the sound. Adam described the change in sound best when he said it sounds "warmer". I guess when the muffler is new it is like an empty metal box, and the build up of soot makes it sound full, if that makes sense. I have driven about 4000 miles since I fitted the muffler, I think the sound gradually changed up until about 2500-3000 miles and has remained the same since. I was really happy with the sound when I first installed it, but it sounds a lot better now.

MattB1

Ready to race!

You will notice a change with the additional boost, I have the boost limited to stock level to in first and second gear, third gear and up the exhaust sounds much meaner.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Nype you can only install CS muffler using a piece like these

the flange and the two supports are included!

I'll comment on more impressions.

Regards guys!

Right...I was expecting to have to use a reducer like that, if I choose to swap in just the CS muffler.

Thanks for confirming BB, that those accessories would not likely come with the muffler/resonator if ordered from a different reseller like cars245/e-acca.

I'm going to ask for CS resonator pricing, for curiosity sake. But the shipping the US is bad enough as it is, for the muffler alone.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
CS muffler (5G6253609AN)
- $274 USD (cars245)

CS resonator (5Q0253209FM)
- $142 USD (cars245)

E-acca can also resell these parts and will match the price, even if they don't show on their site.

jayrm14

Passed Driver's Ed
Are you thinking about running a reducer before the rear silencer to the CS?

CS muffler (5G6253609AN)
- $274 USD (cars245)

CS resonator (5Q0253209FM)
- $142 USD (cars245)

E-acca can also resell these parts and will match the price, even if they don't show on their site.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I'm waiting to see if my CSS order goes through. Failing that, I am considering attaching the CS muffler to my stock catback with something like this.

A little pricey. Haven't really looked too hard. Better than welding on a piece without clamps, in my mind. Easier to undo, if necessary.

I can also then easily swap in the CS resonator down the road, if I choose to.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I just noticed that the first photo of this thread shows a muffler with a sticker that says "Made in Spain" on it, mine, identical sticker and parts tag, said "Made in Germany". It was also very fresh looking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.