GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Free 6MT mod (part deux): clutch pedal spring removal

pjam73

Are there any pictures of this spring in situ? I had a quick look this morning but can't seem to find it. If I stick my phone under there I can get a glimpse of a spring but it doesn't seem like it's the right one from the original description. I've got a RHD car so it's not so easy to get a view of the left side of the clutch pedal.

Edit: Just had a look at a copy of the Skoda workshop manual. It says 'fitted according to type' and from looking at the diagrams it seems like it would be in an easy to spot place. So perhaps my vRS doesn't have one.

Last edited:

xl1200r

Ready to race!
It's kind of in front of the pedal, and the spring is oriented vertically. Get a light down there and you should be able to see it if it's there.

I drove home with mine out and I didn't like it. It felt more 'springy', especially at the top of the pedal (which makes sense based on how the spring works), but I don't think it made shifts faster or added any 'feel' to the clutch - it's still just as numb, just harder to press now. I put it back in and will be leaving it in.

If the brake and gas pedals also had more resistance I think it would feel better and feel more cohesive. Without that, it feels like I have a car that takes a light touch in all places except for a heavy clutch... just felt odd to me.

This isn't the heaviest clutch I've driven by far, but this mod just doesn't 'feel' right to me. Glad it was so easy to do and undo!

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Are there any pictures of this spring in situ? I had a quick look this morning but can't seem to find it. If I stick my phone under there I can get a glimpse of a spring but it doesn't seem like it's the right one from the original description. I've got a RHD car so it's not so easy to get a view of the left side of the clutch pedal.

Edit: Just had a look at a copy of the Skoda workshop manual. It says 'fitted according to type' and from looking at the diagrams it seems like it would be in an easy to spot place. So perhaps my vRS doesn't have one.

for what it's worth, My R had a spring, my 1.8T did not (however it DID have a provision for one)

Spring

no spring

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
did this two nights ago. Slight difference but I had a hard time noticing! However cool mod and good to know I'm one step closer to a pure clutch engagement. I'm sure that doing the bleeder delay removal would exasperate the difference.

RadioFlyer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GSX-Rs
I not only did the spring and "cdv" removal but replaced the whole line with a longer, braided steel line from KMD Tuning.

Substantial improvement in feel.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Did KMD ever change their type of seals?

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Did KMD ever change their type of seals?

Not sure what you're asking.
The O-rings and fittings on the line I installed were like oem.

I think you may be thinking of the USP line? They used to (not sure if they still do) come with O-rings that would disintegrate after awhile, causing leaks. At least according to a number of accounts online.

But the KMD line comes with DOT-4 compatible O-rings pre-installed on the line. That was one of the main reasons I went with KMD. No issues so far on mine after 6+ months.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Ah ok. I couldn't remember who it was exactly that had the wrong seals so good to know!

JVang

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Golf R
Did the mod this morning and it definitely made a difference. Clutch pedal comes up faster now and feels firmer. Combined with the clutch stop it's a much better feel. Just need to delete that pesky cdv now.

slide13

Ready to race!
Wow, just did this on my three week old GTI Sport 6MT and what a difference!! Clutch had such a vague feel before. I haven't done the delay valve mod yet though it's on my list, but this just gave the clutch pedal so much more feel and literally took me about 5 seconds. No tools, just reached in and unhooked it. I can actually feel what the clutch is doing now.

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Wow, just did this on my three week old GTI Sport 6MT and what a difference!! Clutch had such a vague feel before. I haven't done the delay valve mod yet though it's on my list, but this just gave the clutch pedal so much more feel and literally took me about 5 seconds. No tools, just reached in and unhooked it. I can actually feel what the clutch is doing now.

If you think the spring was significant, just wait until you delete the delay valve!

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
Love this mod, thanks to the OP for bringing it up. Definately made the clutch engagement point easier to feel. One of my favorite mods and best part is its free. I've combined this mod with an ebay clutch stop and ECS parts for shifter bushings, endlinks and cable mount bushings. Overall this GTI is a super smooth shifter now. :D -Save the Manuals!-